Will the Bolt EV have different battery pack size options?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziv

Currently, Tesla is the only automaker to offer multiple-sized battery packs in their vehicles.
Or wait, does Nissan too? Now I can't remember.

Anyway, the Bolt EV would do well to have different option - if they only had a 100 mile EV option the cost would maybe be in the low $20,000 range?

Or, if they have the space, they could offer a larger battery pack for 300 miles range?

Of course now I can't find the reference, but I think someone asked Chevrolet this in the past, and there answer was that the 60 kWh battery pack is it. There will be no upgrade or downgrade options.

Probably for production simplicity, and also as Tesla saw, so few ordered their lowest model it wasn't worth continuing.

The 2016 Nissan Leaf comes with either a 24kWH or 30kWh battery. That's a nominal amount of choice, which really is a tiny difference compared to the Bolt's 60kWh battery.

I think that down the road Chevy may introduce larger batteries as options, but certainly at launch it makes sense to limit it to one battery.

Tesla, Nissan, and soon BMW will have added battery capacity to their production EVs without changing the overall battery dimensions.

I'm hoping LG Chem can do a battery with 75 kWh by 2019 that directly replaces the initial 60 kWH battery in the Bolt EV. That's an aggressive timeline, but the real challenge will be cost, as the downward price pressure will be strong as the federal tax credit runs out for GM.

At least all companies will run out of Tax Credit around the same time, so the downward price pressure will be similar across the industry.

ziv said:
At least all companies will run out of Tax Credit around the same time, so the downward price pressure will be similar across the industry.
Wrong thread?
And no, they are on very different run rates and will hit the 200K mark years apart - companies like Honda have barely made a dent with only the Fit EV and a few Plug-in Accords, while GM, Tesla and Nissan could all start the phase out period sometime in 2018

Back