Bolt EV parts will enter mass production by end of month

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmvoltguy

LG has announced that by the end of August they will begin mass production of core Chevy Bolt EV parts.
The company is contracted for 6 years, which is about the generational lifespan of the upcoming 200 mile EV.

Here are the parts of the Bolt that will be manufactured by LG:
- GM designed electric drive motor
- power inverter module
- on board charger
- battery cells and batter pack
- batter heater
- accessory power module
- infotainment system
- instrument cluster

gm-lg-chem-bolt-volt-750x235.jpg

21.jpg

With the number and complexity of parts being supplied by LG, I predict LG will be making its own electric vehicles in the near future. I guess the motor is designed by GM, but LG could use a different motor!

There are still a ton of parts that GM is handling. Yes, it seems the more 'complex' parts are being supplied by LG, but GM has the experience and distribution ability (not to mention assembly lines and tools) to build thousands of these vehicles and LG just doesn't have the infrastructure.

It would be a bold play, and something LG could do, but it would take lots of money and years of building up factories to do it. Then they'd be more in the Tesla boat because they don't have a dealership network unless BestBuy starts selling the EV alongside the LG smartphones :)

idknow said:
With the number and complexity of parts being supplied by LG, I predict LG will be making its own electric vehicles in the near future. I guess the motor is designed by GM, but LG could use a different motor!

I don't see that happening. LG has a good thing going with GM, and has the potential to do the same with Ford and to a lesser extent Nissan. I think they will stick to what they do best - electronics. Leave the wrappings of a car to someone else.

On a (somewhat) related note, Apple has seemingly turned away from autonomous *cars* and focusing more on autonomous drive *technology*. I can see them doing what LG does, and selling a "solution" to a car manufacturer for integration.

http://insideevs.com/apple-focus-driverless-technology-car-development-takes-back-seat/

The hardest part is putting all the components together into a package. LG is just one of many suppliers.
Any new player to market will have to learn, like Tesla did, that building cars isn't easy

Good point with the comparison of Apple - they didn't go to far down the building car road before they decided to back away.

Tesla did do it, so others could. It would just require someone crazy like Musk to lead :)

Back