Bolt EV gripes

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carney

No CD player. (At least, no mention is made of one in the specs.)

No silver grill available for the Arctic Blue Metallic color.

Fast charge is extra instead of standard.

They did leave a lot of old school tech out of the Bolt which is a shame - some of us still us the CD player - :lol:

For each his own... but the last time I played a CD in a car was 2003. I'm grateful it doesn't have a CD player.

Fast Charge should absolutely be standard. I think that those who buy (not lease) a Bolt without one are penny-wise and pound-foolish. It cannot be added later, and the resale value will probably drop more than the $750 cost of the port. Leasing avoids this issue, but it does have the potential to flood the post-lease market with less desirable cars.

Fast charge should be standard but from a business perspective I understand why it's not

laev said:
Fast charge should be standard but from a business perspective I understand why it's not

I can understand the business case for leaving it off the entry-level trim. GM promised "under $30k", and they delivered. Some things didn't make the cut, and became options.

However, I disagree with any "business case" for leaving it off the Premium package. It should be optional on the LT and standard on the Premium. JMO, of course.

CD's are way too bulky to carry around, and they get beat up. They do sound better than MP3's but I use 320K files, and there is barely any difference. Carrying around thousands of recordings is MUCH more convenient.

The thing with CDs - they're still the latest technology for selling/distributing audio on a physical medium. Say I go to a conference, and want to buy a talk from my favorite speaker. They cannot *hand* me an MP3 (or pick your favorite format). They will hand me a CD.

That said, it's really just an occasional minor inconvenience. It means I have to take the CD home and transfer it to a USB stick. Of course, I cannot use my new MacBook Pro without an external CD drive, as that doesn't come with one anymore either.

GetOffYourGas said:
Fast Charge should absolutely be standard. I think that those who buy (not lease) a Bolt without one are penny-wise and pound-foolish. It cannot be added later, and the resale value will probably drop more than the $750 cost of the port. Leasing avoids this issue, but it does have the potential to flood the post-lease market with less desirable cars.

Totally agree with this

GetOffYourGas said:
laev said:

I can understand the business case for leaving it off the entry-level trim. GM promised "under $30k", and they delivered. Some things didn't make the cut, and became options.

However, I disagree with any "business case" for leaving it off the Premium package. It should be optional on the LT and standard on the Premium. JMO, of course.

You make a good point n I think someone also stated there is a difference as well with a lease purchase and a full purchase

And remember that's US only - in Canada we get fast charging as standard equipment on both models. :D

(now the real question is why did Chevy make this a Canada-only thing? Maybe because they tried to give more value since the price is high here because of poor exchange rate?)

On the topic of NAV in the Bolt, the original announcement in January, 2016 said there would be a NAV system:

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/Jan/boltev/0106-boltev-reveal.html

Of course, the order guide doesn't discuss a NAV system. But it is apparently still planned:

http://www.hybridcars.com/early-bolt-evs-may-not-have-promised-navigation/

Cheers, Wayne

DucRider said:
c1987 said:
My grip is no integrated GPS navigation map.
I actually put that in the plus column.

I agree. The day of integrated GPS is over. I use Waze exclusively

My gripes, however, are the lack of Homelink, and the apparent decision to use resistive heating rather than a heat pump

wwhitney said:
On the topic of NAV in the Bolt, the original announcement in January, 2016 said there would be a NAV system:

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/Jan/boltev/0106-boltev-reveal.html

Of course, the order guide doesn't discuss a NAV system. But it is apparently still planned:

Cheers, Wayne

Maybe something is there. I know the Volt OnStar directions are substandard. I do not want to have to pull over to find a charge station on my phone when on a trip or call OnStar to route me there.

"EV Navigation Mapping: EV-specific navigation capability that designs routes to maximize range and provide locations of nearby charging station locations if needed"

c1987 said:
wwhitney said:

Cheers, Wayne

Maybe something is there. I know the Volt OnStar directions are substandard. I do not want to have to pull over to find a charge station on my phone when on a trip or call OnStar to route me there.

"EV Navigation Mapping: EV-specific navigation capability that designs routes to maximize range and provide locations of nearby charging station locations if needed"

What would be the MOST useful would be a feature to allow a smart phone to control (?a portion of?) the car's display. The driver then uses the phone's voice-activated features (or touch-screen on the car's display), and the phone can tell and/or show the driver what s/he needs to know. THAT would be the feature *I* would want. I would get ALL of the features of the phone, and when I upgraded my phone, then I'd also upgrade my feature set for the car.

SparkE said:
What would be the MOST useful would be a feature to allow a smart phone to control (?a portion of?) the car's display. The driver then uses the phone's voice-activated features (or touch-screen on the car's display), and the phone can tell and/or show the driver what s/he needs to know. THAT would be the feature *I* would want. I would get ALL of the features of the phone, and when I upgraded my phone, then I'd also upgrade my feature set for the car.
I think you just described Android Auto/Apple Car Play and how it will function on the Bolt.

DucRider said:
SparkE said:
I think you just described Android Auto/Apple Car Play and how it will function on the Bolt.

Then I certainly don't need GPS functionality integrated into the vehicle.

Back