Are you getting an EV related personal license plate for your Bolt?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Anyone else getting an EV related personal plate?? Share it here because if you have a clever one people in other states may still be able to get it

I wanted CHEV-E but it was taken. So I went for E CHEVY

I also thought about 238 MILE and 60 KWH but they seemed geared toward EV fans only

I sure am - after trying to come up with something clever - I was able to get "BOLT EV". Not original or clever but I'm happy to have figured out it was available. I ordered the plate almost 3 months ago after putting my deposit down so it's seeming like it will arrive about the same time as my Bolt.

On a side note - my personalized plate for my Prius was "HUPRIUS" which is now available since I surrendered it to DMV. Huprius was awarded one of the most clever made-up words in the Mercury News a few years back - combining hubris and Prius. I thought it was funny - go figure.

I was thinking of "BATTERY" and it was taken already.
Then I came up with "BOLTERY" but my friends thought it was corny so it's still out there. :cool:

Does anyone know whether it's possible to reserve a personalized license plate in CA without the car in hand, and only the VIN to go by? And if so what happens to the plate if for some reason you decide not to take delivery of the car?

Yes, it's no problem

You buy the plate online without even specifying a car, just the person who will own it. When it arrives, you can assign it to a car, or you can pay a retention fee and use it later.

If the license arrives before the car, I'd just assign it to whatever car you have and re-assign it later on. I suggest if you like one, grab it now. Then it's yours and you can tell us...other states may still have the same one available. No need to be secretive.

Ditto - that's exactly what I did in September, even without a VIN. Just noted that it is for a future vehicle. I expect to hear from DMV any day that the plate is ready for pick-up. However, I'll have to wait for the issued plates for my Bolt (~ 3 weeks after getting the car) and go to DMV to swap them out.

As an FYI - I have the phone number to call California DMV to ask them to continue holding the plate until you have a fully registered vehicle. It is 800-777-0133.

Well, I will be moving the plate that I've had on my EVs...
  • 1995 Renaissance Tropica
    2011 Chevy Volt
    2014 Chevy Spark EV
    2017 Chevy Bolt EV

no_gas.jpg

scknogas said:
Well, I will be moving the plate that I've had on my EVs...
  • 1995 Renaissance Tropica
    2011 Chevy Volt
    2014 Chevy Spark EV
    2017 Chevy Bolt EV

no_gas.jpg

Did you put a little sticker next to it on your Volt that said "almost"? ;)

michael said:
Yes, it's no problem

You buy the plate online without even specifying a car, just the person who will own it. When it arrives, you can assign it to a car, or you can pay a retention fee and use it later.

If the license arrives before the car, I'd just assign it to whatever car you have and re-assign it later on. I suggest if you like one, grab it now. Then it's yours and you can tell us...other states may still have the same one available. No need to be secretive.

The CA DMV online ordering system says "the vehicle must be currently registered." How do you get around that provision without temporarily assigning the plate to another car you already own?

Okay, I figured it out, I think. You need to present your proof of ownership or lease when you pick up the plates from the DMV. So here's what I ordered!

showPlateImage.do.jpeg

CA lets you place your order (with full payment) without specifiying any vehicle.

They say they will send you up to 3 postcard reminders in the mail when your plate is ready. ( you specifify which office you want to pick it up at )

You have 30 days to pick up your plates AFTER the final reminder is sent. If a no show, the plate will be destroyed and the configuration will be put back into circulation.

I read into that as you will have "about" 90 days to sit on it after it is produced. This is in addition to the 8-12 weeks required to produce it. I ordered one last week. I have no doubt my Bolt will get here first.

-John

Back