VIN shows build sequence

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobayimage

I have my VIN for my just built Bolt (not delivered yet). The last six numbers are the code for the build sequence. My build number is 136278, so I have the 6,278th Bolt built. Does anyone have a lower number?

Hi Sobayimage, welcome to the forum! (I edited your post to remove the bold text since it was all bold)

For reference, what dealership did you order through, and when did you order it?

sobayimage said:
I have my VIN for my just built Bolt (not delivered yet). The last six numbers are the code for the build sequence. My build number is 136278, so I have the 6,278th Bolt built. Does anyone have a lower number?
I wouldn't assume that the VIN is sequential for only Bolt EVs. It used to be sequential for the original Volts built back in 2010 and 2011 (and perhaps later) but then the Volt VINs later seemed to jump around way too high to be strictly incremental. I'm guessing the Bolt EV VINs are also not strictly incremental and that they did not start at zero although they seem to be broadly increasing over time. The lowest VIN numbers I have seen for retail sale through dealers was around 127xxx and I might have seen a 126xxx. The demo Volt on the floor of the LA Auto Show was 122165. Without knowing any real information, my guess is that the VIN is a sequential number showing all cars assembled at the same plant. So, the VIN may be incremented when both Bolt EVs and Sonics are assembled.

Back