Hitch receiver for bike rack?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 124

Can a 1.25" "trailer" hitch receiver be added to the Bolt for attaching a bike rack at the rear of the vehicle? I have one on my Volt and would need one if / when we buy a Bolt. Has anybody done this, and can you recommend specific brands?

There is also one sold through Chevrolet dealers. It is made by the same company (Curt), but it is not clear whether it is identical.
http://www.chevrolet.com/accessories

Check EV Wiki for different options:
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Chevy_Bolt_Trailer_Hitch

The receiver listed on Chevrolet.com as an accessory is only rated for accessories, not for towing. The one on the Wiki website looks different (sticks down further) and is rated for a 2000 lb trailer..... go figure.

Thank you.

I would like to use for a bike rack. Looks like Draw-Tite is a better match.

Is it ok to put it on a leased car?

leonine0 said:
Is it ok to put it on a leased car?

You can read your lease contract for the lawyers' fine print on that.

In practice, if it does not involve any permanent changes so that you can remove it with no evidence it was ever there at the end of your lease, will they ever know or care?

Both of those racks require "minor trimming of rear fascia"

On a lease car, not sure how much of a concern that is. It would likely be on the bottom part (the curved part at the bottom headed towards the front of the car) so that it will clear the down brackets for the receiver.

On a lease return does the dealer crawl under the car to check things out? Or is it like a rental car, they take a walk around and check some boxes off?

My car is the one depicted in the Wiki page (strange how that goes...).

I couldn't wait for Curt and had a welder cut down the hitch. Looks much better now, but most importantly I gained almost 2 more inches of ground clearance for my bike rack.

Everything worked well for the most part but the hitch is more recessed in than I expected. Not a lot of room between that first bike and the hatch. Just need to be careful with the pedals.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

The riser shank for the hitch bike rack works great.

Just passing this info along:

eTrailer has pics up for both hitches. I used the 3D rotating image to get a straight view of both, copied and pasted pics of the two hitches onto MS Paint (I know... I'm not at home, so this is all I have to edit with). I lined up the holes to ensure both hitches are in the same scale and put a side by side picture together showing how much higher the receiver will be with the Drawtite hitch.

hitch side by side by tk_1971, on Flickr

Here it is with just the square receiver from the Drawtite scooted over to the Curt hitch picture for a direct height comparison:
hitch receiver difference by tk_1971, on Flickr

jjr said:
Both of those racks require "minor trimming of rear fascia"
On a lease return does the dealer crawl under the car to check things out? Or is it like a rental car, they take a walk around and check some boxes off?

If you return AND lease another car the same day, there is a chance that they will just glance it over without even asking to open it. Just what happened to me Friday, not even a closeup look either, from inside the dealership. "That one? OK." I may have had a bit of luck, or a hungry salesman, who knows.

BoltADrome said:
If you return AND lease another car the same day, there is a chance that they will just glance it over without even asking to open it.
That doesn't preclude them from coming after you later when they go to prep the car for resale and find deficiencies.

I installed the C11457 Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" on my Bolt. Got it from etrailer.com

Fairly simple install, remove four bolts, place hitch, replace bolts. You do need to cut into the plastic fascia under the bumper.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5ntord82w0zohm/2017-05-15%2016.55.36-1.jpg?dl=0

Drove over 500 miles this weekend with two bikes on a Yakima bike rack. No problems at all.

FWIW, I've installed hitches on two other leased cars and returned them with no questions asked. YMMV.

cruftbox said:
I installed the C11457 Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class I - 1-1/4" on my Bolt. Got it from etrailer.com

Fairly simple install, remove four bolts, place hitch, replace bolts. You do need to cut into the plastic fascia under the bumper.

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5ntord82w0zohm/2017-05-15%2016.55.36-1.jpg?dl=0

Drove over 500 miles this weekend with two bikes on a Yakima bike rack. No problems at all.

FWIW, I've installed hitches on two other leased cars and returned them with no questions asked. YMMV.

I bought and installed the same one, I have been happy with it so far. It was really easy to install.

cruftbox said:

The instructions for that one say that you do have to trim the plastic fascia. But you are saying that it's not necessary?

nautilus said:
cruftbox said:

The instructions for that one say that you do have to trim the plastic fascia. But you are saying that it's not necessary?

You do, you can't see the cut unless you are under the car though. Pretty easy to cut as well.

Back