Pigwich

Recommended seat covers?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 pm

I have kids, bless their filthy little hearts. Can anybody chime in with recommendations for seat covers for the Bolt or share their experience? The internet is rife with seat covers that magically are guaranteed to fit every car in the universe, which means that they don't actually fit ANY car.

Andy
(´・(oo)・`)

Maxters

Re: Recommended seat covers?

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:29 am

Just make sure you do not use seat covers on the front seats unless they're specially designed to pop with a seat airbags.

SparkE

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:54 am

I put down terrycloth towels on the seat bottoms, folded in half for double thickness (since my kids would generally drop stuff on the seats). I would also slip old XL T-shirts over the seat backs - but then I didn't have seats with integrated airbags.

There are airbags INSIDE the seats now?!!?

LeftieBiker

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 am

There are airbags INSIDE the seats now?!!?

Yes, they are on the upper outer side (or maybe on both sides in some cars) of the front seats. They deploy in side impacts or in severe front impacts. As a group they are called "side curtain airbags." Seat covers designed for them have tear seams in those areas.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

boltage

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:25 am

SparkE wrote:There are airbags INSIDE the seats now?!!?

It is quite common for cars to have side airbags in the seats. For example, here is a Chevrolet Spark (with doors removed) after an IIHS side crash test, showing the seat-mounted side airbags (in addition to the side curtain airbags that deploy from the inside of the roof rail):

There usually are "airbag" labels where the airbags deploy from. On the Bolt, the "airbag" label is on the plastic around the seat bottom, even though it looks like the airbag deploys from behind a cover on the plastic on the outer side of the seat back.

sunnyman

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 am

wet oleke neoprene seat covers are awesome.

dan2112

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 pm

sunnyman wrote:wet oleke neoprene seat covers are awesome.

I contacted them and they don't know about the Bolt yet. Any SoCal owners want to take a trip over to Costa Mesa to let them take measurements? I am sure they would greatly appreciate it :-)
2017 Bolt Premier in Nightfall Grey

edwald2

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:09 am

Would love to have neoprene seat covers on my Bolt also. I have smittybilt neoprene on another rig and I really like it. I think going to a local upholstery shop is the best option for now.

sgt1372

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:17 am

sunnyman wrote:wet oleke neoprene seat covers are awesome.

I would 2nd this. Had a set in one of my FJ Cruisers. However, I would recommend NOT adding any appliques to the cover; they wear off because they are just glued on.

Plain covers are all you need. Generally, Okole can match the multicolored pattern of the seats but this is when the pattern is uniform and symmetric. Not sure they can match the asymmetric color pattern in the Bolt but you certainly can ask and, if they can, I'm sure it'll cost extra.

Good luck!
My vehicles:

2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel
2000 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet

TimPrimm

Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 pm

Does anyone know if the Bolt and Volt use the same covers? I bought some "fits Chevy" seat covers, but they seem very loose to me and I'm hesitant to keep buying until I find some I'm sure will fit correctly.

Thanks!
Tim

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”