Charging station cost for a fill-up?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobayimage

I visit varied EV related websites and welcome the news and information I get. I find it disheartening that the comment section is often used by some to vent their anger, vitriol and spread disinformation. Now that I’ve got that off my chest here’s the question I have. What does a charging station cost for a fill-up? In the early days of motoring the cost was read on the pump as simply 11 cents a gallon, 6 gallons pumped, total 66 cents. I never read about gas stations having a price for members and one for non members. Later on gas stations had credit cards you could use only at their stations but the pump still showed the cost of the fill-up plus the credit card was free. Things are different for EVs owners, with one charge for the electricity itself and some charge each time the charge station is used unless a monthly membership is paid. I don’t know the price of my fill-up until I get the statement at the end of the month. Presently the station knows if I am member or not and the amount of power dispensed. Posting the cost of a fill-up doesn’t seem much of a hardship. Today, I fill-up at charging station within range not by the station brand because there is no regular or premium electricity only the cost per kilowatt hour and none clean my windshield anyway. The first charging stations to have a single price per kilowatt hour, without membership and post the fill-up cost, could have an advantage over their competition by greatly increasing their EV customer base. I can see the near future with a sign “Motel 6 – $59.95/nite 15 cents/kwh“.

When we see such straight-forward pricing, it will be a sign of the maturation of the EV industry. We are not there yet.

As for early gas stations, that was long before the internet (obviously). The world was different. In the real early days, I hear you had to buy gasoline in a container at the general store. That's more analogous to where EVs are today.

We can't even get prices posted for hospitals and doctors, and we've had those for centuries; why would charging stations be any different?

Back