Initial impressions from a past Leaf owner

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

BoltPals:

I have had my Bolt for 3 days, and I think the car is terrific. I thought I would jot down some impressions after reading numerous likes and dislikes in this forum.

I have 3 years of EV experience with my 2013 Nissan Leaf. I really liked that car. It did what it was designed to do quite well. The 80 mile or so range made the car the commuter that it was, but I did have fun driving the 65 miles or so from the NorthBay into San Francisco regularly, and charging there. All in all, learning about the range and other issues with the Leaf was just terrific. I thought Nissan did a good job there.

I now have the 2017 Bolt LT with convenience package, Driver assistance package 1 I think they call it, and the quick charge. I would have been happy with just the convenience package with the seat heaters and steering wheel heater, but the one in stock had the other two options. So, I went with them.

I think the car is excellent. I drove 175 miles yesterday picking up a kid at the airport, and a bunch of other errands, with mixed highway, city driving, some climate control, and when I got home the car had 85 miles of range left. Remarkable. The increased range is a game changer. So much different than my Leaf. Makes one consider a longer drive, but alas, the quick charging infrastructure is just not there. That is OK with me. I'll take the Subaru when going 500 miles! But it is tantalizing to consider how much closer this car is to a gas burner in that way.

The car handles nicely, and has a more taut suspension than the Leaf. I am particularly fond of the 1 pedal driving. Took just a short time to get used to it, but wow, a much nicer way to drive, especially in traffic. That was B mode in the Leaf, but even better in the Bolt. It would be nice if the software would allow me to set that as default, but it does not. Perhaps future generations will get that. Gauges are nice, and I have customized the views to my liking. There are a bunch of subtle touches I like with regards to "workflow", such as the fact that favorite radio stations can be side by side whether AM or FM. And, these can be controlled from the favorite paddles on the steering wheel. That will get a bunch of use by me. Lots of subtle things like that I like. I like the lane change warning on the side view mirrors. I had not wanted that feature, but it is actually nice. It shows you if there is a car in your blind spot by lighting up, and blinking if you turn on the blinker. Actually a useful feature.

The charging similarly allows for proximity delay, while being immediate in other venues. Smart.

Many have complained about the seats. I have no problems with them, so I am happy there. And, the auto seat heaters are super nice. My wife is comfortable too. The thin backs make for more space for the passengers. I had 4 in the car today, and they were quite comfortable. The seats are narrow though, and it looks like there is room for more width, so not sure why they decided on that.

I am perfectly happy without factory Nav. They are usually not very good. The nav in the Leaf was not very good. When needed I will use CarPlay, or put the phone in a holder and use Google maps. I always used Plugshare anyway with the Leaf. Doubt I will use public charging much, if ever, in this car.

Complaints? Very few. Would be nice if there were a light in the charging compartment. I looked at the interesting rear view camera in the rear view mirror of the upper trim line. It is actually distracting since you must focus on it up close. I would not use it under that circumstance. Very clever idea though. Some of the user interface of the infotainment system could use some tweaking. Lots of buried menus. No need for that. Look how Tesla or Apple do it.

Still though, all in all, Chevy has a winner here.

I am quite happy to have the car, and look forward to driving it going forward.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This was a great review!

If you had access to DCQC, would you attempt to make that 500-mile drive in a Bolt? It would take nominally 3 stops of 30 minutes each* to make it (depending on driving style, obviously).

*Initial charge = 238 miles. DCQC = 90 miles in 30 minutes. 238 + (3*90) = 508 miles.

GetOffYourGas said:

If you had access to DCQC, would you attempt to make that 500-mile drive in a Bolt? It would take nominally 3 stops of 30 minutes each* to make it (depending on driving style, obviously).

*Initial charge = 238 miles. DCQC = 90 miles in 30 minutes. 238 + (3*90) = 508 miles.

If I had reliable 50 amp DCQC then I might try it for the fun of it. The problem is most of the DCQC on the routes I am interested in are 24 amp, so you won't get 90 miles in 30 minutes I think. I have to do the math on that. Does the 24 amp Chargepoint give you 90 miles in 30 minutes?

dndrich said:
GetOffYourGas said:

If I had reliable 50 amp DCQC then I might try it for the fun of it. The problem is most of the DCQC on the routes I am interested in are 24 amp, so you won't get 90 miles in 30 minutes I think. I have to do the math on that. Does the 24 amp Chargepoint give you 90 miles in 30 minutes?

I think you mean 24kW, not 24A. 24A, with the Bolt's nominal ~400V battery, is only 9.6kW, or only 33% faster than charging on L2.

No, the 24kW chargers would not give you 90 miles in 30 minutes. My question was based on the presumption that you would be able to charge as fast as the Bolt can tolerate whenever and whereever you needed. Obviously not reality today. It was more of a thought experiment.

Personally, I rarely drive 500 miles in one day, although 350 happens every so often. In those cases, I would take the Bolt without hesitation. I'm willing to stop twice for 30 minutes each. I need to stop at least that often to "air out" the kids!

Was curious what you think of the truck space. I have my bolt on order & that's the one thing I'm worried about. My brother has a leaf & it's pretty spacious. How does the bolt compare?

Right. I misspoke on the DCQC. 24kW is what is usually available. It would be nice if we eventually get the 80kW capacity that the Bolt can apparently do at 400 DC volts.

dndrich said:
Right. I misspoke on the DCQC. 24kW is what is usually available. It would be nice if we eventually get the 80kW capacity that the Bolt can apparently do at 400 DC volts.
How recently have you checked? Things are changing rapidly. There is 50 kW charging down to LA from SF. Likewise for SF to Sacramento or Reno. The weak area right now is north of SF.

The only charging along I-5 to Oregon is 24 kW but that will be fixed within a couple of years by state grants to various charging providers that have already been approved. VW will also start building out a highway fast charging network by the end of this year.

When I look on Plugshare most of them are Chademo, not CSS that the Bolt uses. I will look at plugshare again.

dndrich said:
BoltPals:

Some of the user interface of the infotainment system could use some tweaking. Lots of buried menus. No need for that. Look how Tesla do it.

Not sure if you are up to date on Tesla. Infotainment is one of the many issues with Tesla cars, as evidenced by the complaints on TMC.

DarrenDonovan said:
dndrich said:
BoltPals:

Some of the user interface of the infotainment system could use some tweaking. Lots of buried menus. No need for that. Look how Tesla do it.

Not sure if you are up to date on Tesla. Infotainment is one of the many issues with Tesla cars, as evidenced by the complaints on TMC.

Understand. My complaints are minor. But there are lots of buried menus in the interface. Nonetheless, once set, little change is needed. And, the important ones like charging are front and center. So, not a barrier.

MichaelBOLTon said:
Was curious what you think of the truck space. I have my bolt on order & that's the one thing I'm worried about. My brother has a leaf & it's pretty spacious. How does the bolt compare?

The Bolt trunk is smaller. No doubt about it. But it is adequate for my needs. The Leaf trunk was actually pretty large.

JeffN said:
dndrich said:
How recently have you checked? Things are changing rapidly. There is 50 kW charging down to LA from SF. Likewise for SF to Sacramento or Reno. The weak area right now is north of SF.

The only charging along I-5 to Oregon is 24 kW but that will be fixed within a couple of years by state grants to various charging providers that have already been approved. VW will also start building out a highway fast charging network by the end of this year.

OK, I looked this over. Nothing on I5, but plenty of 50 kWh charging on 99. So one could go that way. Interesting.

dndrich said:
JeffN said:
dndrich said:

OK, I looked this over. Nothing on I5, but plenty of 50 kWh charging on 99. So one could go that way. Interesting.

Yeah , i5 has nothing but Chademo but EVgo has installed along 99. It makes sense if you think about it--all the minor cities are along the 99. The 5 is the most direct route north but it runs through the middle of the central valley with nothing much around. By hitting the 99 you not only connect N-S but also get all of the other cities as well.

It would be nice if plugshare would automatically check alternate routes when looking at a potential trip. The lack of chargers along the 5 initially threw me off as well.

dndrich said:
Dreaderus said:
What you doing with your leaf? :)

I turned it in after the 3 year lease. Drove my Honda for 6 months until Bolt was released.

Just curious, just before the lease was up, did Nissan offer to sell it to you for the $6500 off residual?

I think that I could have purchased my $28,000, two year old 2013 "S" model Leaf for $8000!
I turned it in instead, because I figured that I'd be losing my first battery bar soon and didn't want to fork out $5500 for a new battery. Losing one bar on capacity, I wouldn't even have been able to make my 35 mile commute. Not with the heater on and at highway speeds for sure.

Yes, they offered a good buyout. But, I was interested in newer technology like the Bolt. So, I passed.

Back