Automated car wash

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fulmine

I read the rigamarole you have to go through at an automated car wash. As I understand it, if someone opens the door after the procedure, the car automatically goes into park. What happens then? Is the car drug through the car wash? Does the car wash jam and stop? Can you see yourself trying to explain this to an attendant at the car wash?

Typically you sit in the car as it goes through.

If you open the door part way through your car gets full of water - seems low risk unless a child is driving

jjr said:
Typically you sit in the car as it goes through.
I usually go to a car wash where the attendants clean the interior of the car and then hose it off before hooking it up to a chain that pulls it through while you stand at the side watching. The description of the whole "car wash mode" scenario really doesn't look like it's going to work for that. What the car really needs is a simple way to disable the automatic shift to park and application of the parking brake for until you reset it or until the car is powered off or something.

We've been through this before. If you have to leave the car in an automatic car wash, just leave the fob in the car. Problem solved.

Didn't I post a response here? Anyway, look for a touchless "laser" type carwash where the car sits still (with you inside) and the sprayers and dryer change positions as needed.

I found a car wash nearby that isn't automated. They drive the car through. I'll take it there, and avoid an automated one. I don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

Non-owner here (at least not yet), so I can't test. I've read that the car will go into park if you have it in drive when you open the door and get out, but what about if you put it in neutral? Is it "too smart" to allow that?

Just took the Bolt to a car wash today after ensuring we could put it in Neutral with the door open. It does stay in Neutral until the door is opened again. I explained this to the car wash attendant and he said "Oh, just like a Telsa". So, I suspect most car washes are familiar with this process for a Telsa and can do the same for the Bolt. We now have a squeaky clean Bolt (until the rains resume next week) - no problems whatsoever at the car wash.

Back