Bolt keeps honking at me...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceMan

Help?
About 1/3 of the times I hop into my car, the horn chirps a few times before I have a chance to turn it on. Any ideas which "feature" is causing this one? Maybe because I forgot to lock it between uses?

If you interrupt a charge session before it completes, the car "lets you know" about it the next time you get in the car.

That's one possibility, anyway. Look at the DIC (behind steering wheel). It will show the reason behind all warning beeps.

Unfortunately this happens often regardless of charging events. When I get in the car, it is still in its startup mode (before I push the power button) when it honks, so there is no displayed notifications.

I am wondering if this has something to do with leaving the car unlocked then returning to it...

Last night I started using the auto-lock feature, so here's to hoping it will stop all the honking.

Patronus said:
It will honk at you if the key is inside the car and you open the door.

As noted in another thread, my car was honking at me (3 quick honk) when ever I got out of the car while it was running. Only thing is that the key has always been "on" me when this happened. I always thought that this was some kind of "pedestrian warning device" but it was told otherwise.

In any event, after I removed Fuse #34 which deactivates the "pedestrian warning sound," my Bolt is completely silent and no longer honks at me when I get out of the car while it's running.

Why on earth would you get out of the car while it is running, when it takes one button-push to turn it Off, and costs no time to push the button again when you get back in?
The car Should honk at you, to train you not to do foolish things.
Get over it - it's not a defect, its a safety feature, as is the pedestrian warning sound, and it is simply stupid to expose yourself to an almost-certain felony-manslaughter conviction by turning off the pedestrian warning sound to spare your tender ears.

Are you telling me that there isn't a section in the owner's manual that describes ALL of the reasons that the car will honk at you?

My Spark honks at me if :

A- I get out of the car with the key and close the driver's door while it is turned on ("hey dummy, you forgot to turn me off!")

B- I get out of the car without the key and close the driver's door ("hey dummy, you left the key in the car!")

C- the car is running and the key fob gets too far away from the car ("hey dummy, your wife has the fob in her pocket and is walking away")

Page 35 : "Remote Left In Vehicle Alert
When the vehicle is turned off and an RKE transmitter is left in the vehicle, the horn will chirp three times after all doors are closed."

Page 36 : "Remote No Longer In Vehicle Alert
If the vehicle is on, with a door open, and then all doors are closed, the vehicle will check for RKE transmitter(s) inside. If an RKE transmitter is not detected, the DIC will display NO REMOTE DETECTED and the horn will chirp three times.
This occurs only once each time the vehicle is driven."

Page 43 : "Lockout Protection
If the vehicle is off and locking is requested while a door is open,
when all doors are closed the vehicle will check for RKE transmitters inside. If an RKE transmitter is detected and the
number of RKE transmitters inside has not reduced, the driver door will unlock and the horn will chirp three times."

Page 47 : " How to Detect a Tamper Condition
If <unlock icon> is pressed on the RKE transmitter and the horn chirps and the lights flash three times, an alarm occurred previously while the alarm system was armed.

If the alarm has been activated, a message will appear on the DIC"

Page 238 : "four audible chirps
Insufficient time to fully charge by departure time due to the selected rate preference.
To increase the battery state of charge at the departure time perform a delayed charging override. See Delayed Charging Override - Page 235."

Page 238 : "repeated audible chirps
Electricity has been interrupted before charging was complete. Repeated chirps will stop if power is restored within
90 seconds."

Page 238 : "three audible chirps
Charge port door is open"

EldRick said:
Why on earth would you get out of the car while it is running, when it takes one button-push to turn it Off, and costs no time to push the button again when you get back in?
The car Should honk at you, to train you not to do foolish things.
Get over it - it's not a defect, its a safety feature, as is the pedestrian warning sound, and it is simply stupid to expose yourself to an almost-certain felony-manslaughter conviction by turning off the pedestrian warning sound to spare your tender ears.

Wasn't saying that the honking was a "defect" -- was just wondering why it was honking.

In any event, there are a lot of reasons why you might get out of your car (EV or not) while running and it's not stupid if you've put the car in Park and engaged the parking brake and have not walked far away from the vehicle.

In my case. here are two simple reasons why I "sometimes" get out of the car when it's running:

1) While in the garage, to double check to make sure the door into the house is properly locked and/or to get something that I've left inside the house or in the garage.

2) While on the road or in a parking lot, to read a sign that is difficult to read while seated in the car or to remove something that's in a parking space that I want/need to remove before parking in the space.

In any event, removing the "pedestrian noise" fuse appears to have stopped the honking and I prefer it that way. I know when it's running -- even as quiet as it is now -- and I don't need the car to be act as my "nanny."

If there is a "problem" w/the Bolt's warning systems is that the engineers had to designed them for the lowest common denominator -- ie., the most foolish or stupid people -- which is what can make these warning systems annoying to the majority of us who do not require such "warnings."

So exactly how are you going to come to terms with your decision to disable the pedestrian warning if you cripple a kid in an accident? Will you become religious while in your prison cell?
The risk is simply unjustifiable.

And is it really that difficult for you to push the Power button before opening the door to get out of the car?

EldRick said:
So exactly how are you going to come to terms with your decision to disable the pedestrian warning if you cripple a kid in an accident? Will you become religious while in your prison cell?
The risk is simply unjustifiable.

And is it really that difficult for you to push the Power button before opening the door to get out of the car?

You're being silly.

I've scanned the "debate" over the wisdom (or lack thereof) in disabling the pedestrian noise maker in the "Death to Pedestrians" thread and I made my choice. As a retired attorney and law enforcement officer, I am willing to assume the risk of doing that.

The noise maker will not prevent a driver's negligence in striking a pedestrian nor will it prevent a pedestrian from negligently walking or running in front of a Bolt. The liability in such cases will be decided based on other factors.

EOM.

sgt1372 said:
In my case. here are two simple reasons why I "sometimes" get out of the car when it's running:

1) While in the garage, to double check to make sure the door into the house is properly locked and/or to get something that I've left inside the house or in the garage.

2) While on the road or in a parking lot, to read a sign that is difficult to read while seated in the car or to remove something that's in a parking space that I want/need to remove before parking in the space.

All you have to do (and what I do) is to simply NOT CLOSE THE DOOR in those situations - it's not as if you are getting out and leaving the car alone. You also don't have to leave it gaping open - just not 'latched'.

Let's keep in mind there are still people who disable the seat belt warning and drive without them. There are also drivers who will never drive a car with anti-lock brakes. I just don't get it, but there it is.

SpaceMan said:
Help?
About 1/3 of the times I hop into my car, the horn chirps a few times before I have a chance to turn it on. Any ideas which "feature" is causing this one? Maybe because I forgot to lock it between uses?

OP : have my posts help you find the reason your car is honking at you sometimes?

SparkE said:
SpaceMan said:
Help?

OP : have my posts help you find the reason your car is honking at you sometimes?

Unfortunately, no. None of the noted scenarios from the manual apply. This happens when I enter the car after it has been parked for a period of time (with or without being plugged in). The only thing I could think was that it was because I wasn't locking the car (maybe the tamper situation?), but I don't see why that would engage when the car is unlocked. Wouldn't I only care to hear about the car being messed with if I were in a situation where I deemed it important to lock it? I turned on the auto-lock feature and so far have not been honked at yet.

I received two key fobs with my car. Are you sure that the 2nd fob is in the house, and not in the car?

And you are positive that the car has honked at you when you *didn't* charge it overnight? (charging may have had a hiccup, or charge not completed)

Anyhow, I'd ask your GM dealer how you can figure out why the car honked at you. (a code somewhere? way to display an alert on the screen?)

sgt1372 said:
-- and I don't need the car to be act as my "nanny."
Really!!!

I can't wait for the new Federal government to get rid of those nanny airbag rules and save us thousands of dollars of unneeded extras!

I want my kids to grow up to be Libertarians, if they make it! :lol:

SparkE said:
I received two key fobs with my car. Are you sure that the 2nd fob is in the house, and not in the car?

And you are positive that the car has honked at you when you *didn't* charge it overnight? (charging may have had a hiccup, or charge not completed)

Anyhow, I'd ask your GM dealer how you can figure out why the car honked at you. (a code somewhere? way to display an alert on the screen?)

Good thoughts, but the second key is never near the car and the honking has happened in parking lots as well as in the garage- so no way it was a charging interrupt.

Since turning on the auto-lock, hasn't happened once. Odd... my guess is the anti-tamper of some sort, but the indicator isn't lit for it. Either way, I got rid of it if only for the inconvenience of always having a locked car in my garage.

Back