Feb sales (952)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

Bolt sales in Feb were 952 units, down from January (but Feb was a shorter month). The Bolt is readily available on lots all over the West Coast, and is now showing up on the East Coast (cars.com shows 1,500).

ScooterCT said:
Bolt sales in Feb were 952 units, down from January (but Feb was a shorter month). The Bolt is readily available on lots all over the West Coast, and is now showing up on the East Coast (cars.com shows 1,500).

I don't know if I would consider the Bolt to be readily available on the West coast. There is only one dealer in Washington state that has any Bolts and they had to do a dealer to dealer transfer to get them. GM isn't scheduled to ship the Bolt to Washington state until next month.

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-sales-outpace-chevy-bolt-ev-in-february-as-new-leaf-set-to-debut-soon-ish/

Weird and unexpected...

marshallinwa said:
I don't know if I would consider the Bolt to be readily available on the West coast. There is only one dealer in Washington state that has any Bolts and they had to do a dealer to dealer transfer to get them. GM isn't scheduled to ship the Bolt to Washington state until next month.
That dealer doesn't have Bolts on the lot either - expected this week.

There are far too many variables at play here to come to any conclusions.

That said, I was also surprised to see the Leaf outsell the Bolt. Nissan shouldn't get used to it - this may be the one and only month that happens until the Leaf 2 is available.

I take that statement back then - not widely available on the West Coast. I guess lots aren't as populated as the online numbers would lead you to believe. Nothing like boots on the ground to verify the facts - thanks!

What an exclusive group we're in. :)

It's nice to NOT see any other Bolts driving around in my area but I expect that to soon change.

GetOffYourGas said:
There are far too many variables at play here to come to any conclusions.

That said, I was also surprised to see the Leaf outsell the Bolt. Nissan shouldn't get used to it - this may be the one and only month that happens until the Leaf 2 is available.

I have seen scattered reports of huge discounts on the Leaf. https://www.truecar.com seems to indicate about $9,000 off MSRP, or a sales price of around $22,000 for the lowest price S trim.

Huge discounts on the last gen Leaf would make complete sense if they're clearing the lots for the new Leaf. I think most of us have given up on forecasting the Leaf II arrival date, but the mysterious tea leaves seem to be pointing to Geneva next week, with deliveries a month later. Take that with a huge dose of salt, because I am absolutely, completely clueless about when the Leaf will appear.

I've seen one ad on the Net for a Leaf lease at $148/mo. If you don't need the range, that's pretty darn cheap for a 2nd car to use just for local travel.

ScooterCT said:
Huge discounts on the last gen Leaf would make complete sense if they're clearing the lots for the new Leaf. I think most of us have given up on forecasting the Leaf II arrival date, but the mysterious tea leaves seem to be pointing to Geneva next week, with deliveries a month later. Take that with a huge dose of salt, because I am absolutely, completely clueless about when the Leaf will appear.
Yeah, I've given up guessing. There was a time when I thought Nissan would announce it before the first Bolt was delivered, to try and steal some of GM's thunder. Clearly I was wrong. Can't be long now, though. I'm still hopeful it will beat the Model 3 to market, but I'm not even sure of that anymore.

Are we all forgetting Leaf vs. Bolt sales, at this point, is the definition of apples vs. oranges?

Let's wait until autumn, when both cars are available in all 50 state.

In the meantime, if the vastly more unavailable and expensive Bolt should outsell Leafs, that's a very bad sign for Nissan.

Nissan threw itself under the bus by not offering an equal to Chevy's range (soon enough), as well as not planning on active thermal management for their batteries (based on past and present drawings and statements), and thus appear to be doomed to lose ground in the race to beat Chevy's sales in the near future, and possibly beyond...

"We don't have any to test drive, and probably won't for a few weeks. Come back then and we will start the process"

or

"I only have 5 available to sell this year, and 4 are already spoken for. Make a deal sight unseen?" <-- (This happened to me, I took number 5.)

That is what thousands of potential customers likely faced.

Average joe's are still leary about EV's range and long term reliability. If they can't see/touch/test one in the flesh, they're unlikely to make a leap of faith.

Couple that with the very limited advertising seen (unless you live in the EV bubble that is California) and the reason for a slump in sales is easily seen.

Agreed, I was lucky enough to get one of the two alotted to the local dealership and reserved it sight unseen. Haven't actually seen one in the flesh though since the Philly car show. Mine should hopefully be here soon!

I look at this way. In the US and Canada, the Bolt is only available in certain States and Provinces - only in locations (for now) which are driving the EV culture in both countries. The fact that the Bolt has sold slightly less that the Leaf, with far less availability than the Leaf is very bad news for Nissan.

If the Bolt was available in as many markets, dealerships etc etc as the Leaf, and the Leaf numbers were still higher, then I'd say yah, that's not good for Chevy. As the market opens up and the Bolt is made available more widely across both countries, my educated guess is that you'll see Bolt numbers take off and Leaf numbers relegated to the bin.

But time will tell.

I've had two sightings in Portland so far, one a grey color with a driver who started waving wildly when he saw me (hi!) and the other an orange that I paced up N. Greeley ave with after dinner one evening. But more cars are going out so I know it's just a time and place thing.

http://insideevs.com/february-2017-plug-in-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/
2017-sales-chart-February-vfinal-719x800.png

Perhaps the Bolt is helping sell the Volt?

I.e. some people interested in EVs may go to the Chevrolet store to try the Bolt, but still be hesitant about going all-in (Bolt) but decide to try it with more traditional gasoline backup (Volt). They may also prefer the styling of the Volt over the practicality of the Bolt.

boltage said:
Perhaps the Bolt is helping sell the Volt?
When the Bolt was announced I speculated that it would help Volt sales, and I strongly suspect that these sales figures are confirmation of that. The Volt's biggest problem has always been explaining it's unique capabilities. But if people are looking at the Bolt and asking "what happens if the battery runs out", then suddenly the "range extender" concept makes perfect sense.

Back