Flat Tire after one week--Car had to be towed

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EgermP

Dealer does not keep spare tires, so EV is in the shop with a flat while new tire is ordered. Car has 250 miles. Sudden failure of front tire. Scary! Apparently, drove over something. Happened at low speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_1202313.jpg
    IMG_20170308_1202313.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 9,317
215/50-17 doesn't look like a weird size. Have you phoned around? Your local tire shop may have the Michelins in stock. Tire Rack - $140.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS&partnum=15HR7ESASV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Costco lists them too:

http://tires2.costco.com/SearchBySizeSearchResults.aspx?SearchID=7eb4a492-3c91-4f71-ab3a-13a7fb56f09b

Volts went through tires like mad. Something wrong with the sidewalls of the Goodyears, they would fail and be unrepairable.

I discovered America's tire company will sell replacement guarantees on any tires that are not worn out, even if you didn't but the tires there. This paid for itself several times over on my Volts.

I've had good experience with the Michelins on my Focus, but I intend to get the America's tire warranty on the Bolt tires anyhow.

They seem a really good company...repair flats for free whether you got the tires there or not, and their prices seem reasonable.

We've only had the car for about 10 days, and it only has 250 miles on it. I shouldn't have to purchase a new tire immediately. I expect the dealership to replace the tire without charge.

The Bolt doesn't come with a spare tires, because, Chevy claims that it isn't needed. Obviously, they are needed. Since Chevy is selling these things without spare tires, the dealerships should be required to keep a spare available when needed. A new car should not be in the shop while the dealership orders another tire.

Overall, I am very concerned about this situation. It's a safety problem. A front tire should not suddenly completely deflate!

OEM tires are very often of lower quality than aftermarket tires with the same model name - tire manufacturers make deals with automakers to provide them cheaply. I didn't expect that to be an issue with the Bolt's self-sealing tires, but maybe it is. If so it would be far better to get aftermarket replacements.

LeftieBiker said:
OEM tires are very often of lower quality than aftermarket tires with the same model name - tire manufacturers make deals with automakers to provide them cheaply. I didn't expect that to be an issue with the Bolt's self-sealing tires, but maybe it is. If so it would be far better to get aftermarket replacements.

Originally, the dealership said that they would replace the tire without charge, and told us to have the car towed to them. When she arrived, the Chevy service guy, however, told my wife something different. So, I've got to argue the thing tomorrow. Yes, your comment seems appropriate. It looks like the tires have a quality problem. That quality problem could also be a serious safety issue for Bolt drivers.

I do not have any confidence in these self-sealing tires. If our tires failed at a slow speed and only 250 miles, then your tires can fail also. Beware!

OP: Do you happen to know the cause of the failure?

Assume that it was just more than a puncture. Any specific info/pics/details?

FWIW, tires generally are NOT included under a car mfg warranty. Haven't checked the Bolt warranty specifically but it would be mentioned in the fine print. Tire warranties offered by mfgs are generally based on mileage or tread depth.

At only 250 miles assume it should be at or close to 100% but, if not, I agree w/you that Chevy should agree to replace the tire w/o cost regardless.

If they were REALLY nice, they'd just take one of their inventory cars out of service and give you one of the wheels/tires off it it. That's what I'd ask for. All they can do is say, NO!, which is what I'd expect but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

What pressure does GM have on the door or glovebox sticker? There was an issue with the earlier Leafs, with OEM Ecopia (aka "Ecrapia") tires, in which the too low suggested pressure (36psi) combined with the OEM low-quality tires' weak sidewalls, resulted in sidewall blowouts in even minor scrapes with curbs.

EgermP said:
We've only had the car for about 10 days, and it only has 250 miles on it. I shouldn't have to purchase a new tire immediately. I expect the dealership to replace the tire without charge.

The Bolt doesn't come with a spare tires, because, Chevy claims that it isn't needed. Obviously, they are needed. Since Chevy is selling these things without spare tires, the dealerships should be required to keep a spare available when needed. A new car should not be in the shop while the dealership orders another tire.

Overall, I am very concerned about this situation. It's a safety problem. A front tire should not suddenly completely deflate!

I kind of chuckled when you first described it as "sudden tire failure"...that tends to happen when you run over a nail, screw, or other debris on the road that punctures it.

Unless the dealer decides to provide an extraordinary measure of goodwill, expect to be charged for a new tire AND the labor to change it. Flat tires aren't under warranty from the dealer, but as Michael mentioned, several tire shops have "road hazard" and/or other coverage where they repair or replace the tire free of charge.

The OEM tire the Bolt ships with is a typical Michelin Energy Saver A/S 215/50R17. It is no more or less quality than the same one you would buy from Tire Rack. Contrary to a popular myth - the tires your car came with aren't lower quality then the ones you buy aftermarket. Why? Class-action lawsuits are expensive. Remember the Ford - Firestone fiasco? The tires you buy at Tire Rack may have a slightly different load rating, than the OEM tire, but higher quality than the tires that shipped with your car? Nope.

Lots of new cars don't come with spare tires. Blame the EPA for that one. Carrying that spare tire,wheel, and jack adds weight - and thus lowers MPG. Spare tires also add cost, and give designers the headache of finding somewhere to put it - which on a Bolt, would be a serious challenge. Also, changing a tire is somewhat of an old-school skill that few people want to be bothered with...and it can be dangerous for newbies.

Contrary to a popular myth - the tires your car came with aren't lower quality then the ones you buy aftermarket. Why? Class-action lawsuits are expensive. Remember the Ford - Firestone fiasco? The tires you buy at Tire Rack may have a slightly different load rating, than the OEM tire, but higher quality than the tires that shipped with your car? Nope.

It isn't a "myth" and you even hint at why: the OEM tires can indeed be lower spec, and not just in one category. This equals lower quality. Aftermarket Ecopias have higher tread wear and temp ratings, IIRC, than the ones supplied with the Leaf. I'm not sure about traction ratings.Toyota is infamous for using very slippery Continental OEM-grade tires on Camrys in the Nineties - ours still had one as a spare. If you want to bust a myth, I suggest that you first find an actual myth. BTW, do you work for GM? Making excuses and shifting blame for the lack of a spare in a car that could easily carry one goes above and beyond the call of fan-dom. The Bolt's range wouldn't plummet if it had a spare: I added a rather heavy 3/4 size Altima donut spare to my Leaf, and the range didn't drop measurably. The cargo space did, but the Leaf, like the Bolt, actually has a space available that seems to have been designed with a spare in mind. I just didn't want to have to remove the rear diffuser and crawl under the car to get my spare out. The space under the cargo floor in the Bolt is much easier to use, I'll wager.

LeftieBiker said:
What pressure does GM have on the door or glovebox sticker? There was an issue with the earlier Leafs, with OEM Ecopia (aka "Ecrapia") tires, in which the too low suggested pressure (36psi) combined with the OEM low-quality tires' weak sidewalls, resulted in sidewall blowouts in even minor scrapes with curbs.

I had an Ecopia on one of my Priuses that got totally shredded w/it got a puncture and I had to drive on it too long to get off the roadway. POS tire IMO.

Interesting personal fact, I had 3 punctures and 1 tire replacement on the 2 Priuses that I owned/leased over 6 years. Was able to patch all of them w/o problem, except for the tire above that got shredded and had to be replaced.

I had more tire problems w/the Prius than with any of the over 50 other cars/trucks that I've ever owned/leased.

Thank goodness, the Prius had a SPARE!!!

LeftieBiker said:
It isn't a "myth" and you even hint at why: the OEM tires can indeed be lower spec, and not just in one category. This equals lower quality.

The same model tire can be found on a variety of vehicles. Sometimes, a manufacturer requests a certain spec rating for the particular car. For example, a Pilot Sport PS/2 that Porsche specifies for their relatively lightweight Boxster may be different than the Pilot Sport PS/2 that BMW orders for their heavier M3. In no way does that suggest one tire is more or less quality than the other.

LeftieBiker said:
If you want to bust a myth, I suggest that you first find an actual myth.

I'll flip that around...if you're going to make a claim that GM chooses to install low quality and/or dangerous tires on their new cars - putting lives at risk - please back that up. Until then, the public can rest assured that isn't the case.

LeftieBiker said:
Toyota is infamous for using very slippery Continental OEM-grade tires on Camrys in the Nineties. BTW, do you work for GM? Making excuses and shifting blame for the lack of a spare in a car that could easily carry one goes above and beyond the call of fan-dom. The Bolt's range wouldn't plummet if it had a spare: I added a rather heavy 3/4 size Altima donut spare to my Leaf, and the range didn't drop measurably.

We don't live in the 90's anymore. These days, all car & truck manufacturers continue to search for ways to make their vehicles lighter, whether it be from using lighter alloy wheels, to extensive use of aluminum for engine blocks and body shells, and by either using a compact spare or no spare at all (instead, opting for run flat tires). They do this to make their cars lighter in order to help comply with CAFE, and for better performance numbers. It's also one of the reasons why GM designed thin, lightweight seats for the Bolt. Every ounce matters. The lighter a car is, the more efficient it usually is.

Do yourself a favor. Google "EPA spare tire".

LeftieBiker said:
The Leaf, like the Bolt, actually has a space available that seems to have been designed with a spare in mind. I just didn't want to have to remove the rear diffuser and crawl under the car to get my spare out. The space under the cargo floor in the Bolt is much easier to use, I'll wager.

My Mercedes B250 is sold as a gasoline model in Canada, a diesel version in Europe, and of course, an EV version for CARB states. Even though it has the molded space in the trunk for a compact spare - it doesn't have one, or come with a jack or repair kit. I wish that it did, but it doesn't. Just like my car, It's possible that GM has plans to sell the Bolt platform in other markets that may be regulated to carry a spare, which is why you see a space for it.

I have no desire to debate a GM PR flak, professional or hobbyist. It is known fact that OEM tires can have the same model name but lower specs than aftermarket versions. You admit this. If you choose to think that faster tread wear, lower temp rating and lower load capacity aren't lower quality, go ahead. I'm sure GM appreciates your efforts - if they even notice them.

LeftieBiker said:
I have no desire to debate a GM PR flak, professional or hobbyist. It is known fact that OEM tires can have the same model name but lower specs than aftermarket versions. You admit this. If you choose to think that faster tread wear, lower temp rating and lower load capacity aren't lower quality, go ahead. I'm sure GM appreciates your efforts - if they even notice them.

You're confusing "lower" specs with "different" specs. A tire with a softer compound may wear faster, but handle better. Conversely, a harder compound may wear longer, but not handle as well. Both are of the same quality, just different based on the manufacturer's and ultimately, the customer's preference.

I'm no professional, but hobbyist probably fits. I've bought enough tires, and driven enough track days to learn a thing or two about them. Here's a good place you can start:

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/research_advice.html

Also, what many people don't know, a dirty little secret is, rubber is a product like tomatos and oranges.

There are better crops (batches) and worse batches.

You can have two tires of same make/model/part number.... everything..... wear and ride differently if they were manufactured at different times.

One reason why you are "advised" to change all four tires at a time. And certainly change matched pairs left to right.... unless the manufacture dates are the same or extremely close togeher.

Also rubber "expires". It's only good for 7 years. 8 years tops. So look up the manufacture date on cheap or on sale tires. They may have an old manufacture date.

I do not think there is deliberate conspiracy for original stock tires to be of a lesser quality. But as apparent in the seat quality thread--- there are quality control issues.

All the cars / trucks I have purchased from Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge have had very long lasting stock tires. 65,000 to 85,000 miles on all I remember.

gpsman said:
Also, what many people don't know, a dirty little secret is, rubber is a product like tomatos and oranges.

There are better crops (batches) and worse batches.

You can have two tires of same make/model/part number.... everything..... wear and ride differently if they were manufactured at different times.

One reason why you are "advised" to change all four tires at a time. And certainly change matched pairs left to right.... unless the manufacture dates are the same or extremely close togeher.

Also rubber "expires". It's only good for 7 years. 8 years tops. So look up the manufacture date on cheap or on sale tires. They may have an old manufacture date.

I do not think there is deliberate conspiracy for original stock tires to be of a lesser quality. But as apparent in the seat quality thread--- there are quality control issues.

All the cars / trucks I have purchased from Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge have had very long lasting stock tires. 65,000 to 85,000 miles on all I remember.

My wife ran over a pothole and blew a tire a few years ago. Her tires were high-end Michelin Alpin PA/2 performance winter tires that we bought a Costco. The damaged tire was covered under Michelin's road hazard warranty, but because the PA/2 tire was replaced by the PA/3 - we paid a nominal fee for the one tire's pro-rated wear, and Costco replaced all four tires with PA/3's for free. Yes. Free.

From that experience, I will always buy my tires from Costco. Doesn't matter to me if they cost more, they always give me the feeling they have my back.

The OEM Michelin Energy Saver is a special spec tire in that it has the self sealing feature (obviously did not help the OP).

Whether it is better or worse otherwise is not obvious without instrumented testing against a regular version of the same model in the same size on the same car.

Back