REFUEL 2017

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy, Nice run! I have a bunch of questions:

What size are the R888 tires?

How much track experience do you have?

How would you compare the Bolt EV to your other track experiences?

How many times did you hit the speed limiter?

Did you run in D and just use the brake pedal (minimizing regen)?

Zoomit said:

No R888's in the Bolt's OEM 215/50R17 size available on Toyo's site. Either 215/45R17 or 225/45R17 should fit on stock rims. They are about 3.3% and 1.9% smaller, respectively, in diameter/radius/circumference than stock. Not for street use but would be fun to run them on dry sunny days on the street anyway.

See: https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888-dot-competition-tires

Zoomit said:

Interested in hearing the answer to this too.

I would think that running in Sport Mode and in L would be better than running it in D, so that you can coordinate engine/regen braking w/use of the brake pedal. Use of L would also increase the range of the car during the run.

I'd drive it hard into the turn and let off the accelerator at the apex to activate engine/regen braking (adding additional braking w/the pedal as needed) and as soon as I clear the apex and begin the exit , I'd release the brake, if used and just floor the accelerator again.

Not familiar w/the track they were running on but the Bolt should be able to hit the limiter on any 1/4 mile segment.

Sorry I missed the Laguna run. Would have been fun to do it even if I had to run it on OEM tires. Maybe next time, if there is a next time.

GetOffYeourGas said:
And for those on the Right Coast, there is Watkins Glen's Green Grand Prix with https://www.scottmcadams.org/bathmate-review-results/ the Bathmate!

Looks like fun!

Zoomit said:

How much track experience do you have?

How would you compare the Bolt EV to your other track experiences?

How many times did you hit the speed limiter?

215/45/17 I have them stock up for my RSX type-s & wife's S2000 cr a few years ago. Still using factory Bolt EV rims. I did not know that each of the TPMS is location sensitive. I have random read out on my dash. Scott (2nd place 2:01.864) is running the factory tires.

A bunch of experience when I was in my mid-20s. That was 20yrs ago and I was 40 lbs lighter. Then I stopped going to the track for 15+ yrs. Just start going back the past two yrs for fun a few times a yrs.

The car just runs very flat and doesn't roll at all. Very neutral car right out of the box.

I hit 91mph before turn 5 and right at start-finish line. It just stay there. Might be a few more area too but no time to look at the speedo

In my practice runs, I use L. More barking! In the TTrun, I use D by accident. That is not the same braking distance so I mis-judged a few corners braking point.

Awesome--Thanks for the feedback! I have an E36 M3 for giggles but I might end up getting a Bolt EV and taking it to the track as well.

Zoomit said:
Awesome--Thanks for the feedback! I have an E36 M3 for giggles but I might end up getting a Bolt EV and taking it to the track as well.

The only catch is that normal track day might not have the power strip available for charging.

Indeed, I'm close to Willow Springs which has a NEMA 14-50 available and I can always drag my 30A EVSE along.

What kind of recharging outlets did Refuel provide? a bunch of 14-50s?

Zoomit said:
Indeed, I'm close to Willow Springs which has a NEMA 14-50 available and I can always drag my 30A EVSE along.

What kind of recharging outlets did Refuel provide? a bunch of 14-50s?

Yep! 14-50

FYI, I wrote an article about the 2017 REFUEL event.

http://www.hybridcars.com/2017-refuel-ev-race-sees-new-track-records/

BBQ said:
Is there anyone interested to go to a EV Track day? :D

I couldn't attend that one but I was there for REFUEL 2018 on 1st July, 2018. It was an experience of a lifetime running my EV on 11 challenging turns and the world-famous elevation-changing Corkscrew.

AndrewSewell said:
BBQ said:
Is there anyone interested to d bal max go to a EV Track day? :D

I couldn't attend that one but I was there for REFUEL 2018 on 1st July, 2018. It was an experience of a lifetime running my EV on 11 challenging turns and the world-famous elevation-changing Corkscrew.

I'm eagerly waiting for REFUEL 2019. Hopefully, I'll also run my EV on the world-famous Corkscrew.

AlanOdell said:
AndrewSewell said:
BBQ said:
Is there anyone interested to go to a EV Track day? :D

I'm eagerly waiting for REFUEL 2019. Hopefully, I'll also run my EV on the world-famous Corkscrew.
REFUEL 2019 is scheduled for Sunday, June 30, 2019. Registration has not opened yet.

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=760

Back