myChevrolet app vehicle status does not update

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltage

On the myChevrolet app (version 3.5.0 for Android), the vehicle status showed 87% charged with 226 mile estimated range when I used it after recharging (to the hill reserve level). However, it still says that despite having driven the car down to below 25% charged. What causes it to fail to update, and how can it be fixed?

boltage said:
On the myChevrolet app (version 3.5.0 for Android), the vehicle status showed 87% charged with 226 mile estimated range when I used it after recharging (to the hill reserve level). However, it still says that despite having driven the car down to below 25% charged. What causes it to fail to update, and how can it be fixed?

You said "it still says that", instead of (say) "the update failed" or "when I ask for an update, it doesn't change". You do know that you have to manually ask the app to do an update, right? (It doesn't auto-update in the background). When an update fails for ME, the app tells me it failed - it doesn't just silently NOT update the numbers (I have sometimes received a "unable to connect to the vehicle" message).

On the main (first) screen of the app, touch/select 'vehicle status'. In the 'vehicle status' window that appears, touch the 'EV Range' panel and flick your finger down ('pull to refresh'). The app then shows the "updating" message, and after 5-20 seconds, updates with the new info.

SparkE said:
On the main (first) screen of the app, touch/select 'vehicle status'. In the 'vehicle status' window that appears, touch the 'EV Range' panel and flick your finger down ('pull to refresh'). The app then shows the "updating" message, and after 5-20 seconds, updates with the new info.

Ok, finally figured it out. The "pull down to refresh" (which is not obviously documented in the app) only works on the main myChevrolet app screen (which shows Key Fob, Vehicle Status, Wi-Fi Hotspot, etc.), not on the actual Vehicle Status screen.

boltage said:
SparkE said:

Ok, finally figured it out. The "pull down to refresh" (which is not obviously documented in the app) only works on the main myChevrolet app screen (which shows Key Fob, Vehicle Status, Wi-Fi Hotspot, etc.), not on the actual Vehicle Status screen.

Interesting. We have the same version of myChevrolet app (version 3.5.0 for Android), and I have always updated from the 'vehicle status' screen (it works for me).

On the other hand, I never knew I could do the same from the main screen - thanks for tip!! (Yes, their UI sucks whale dong.)

It usually takes several tries to connect while BLOT is in my garage. I've also noticed that it rarely updates tire pressures.
Now I've got a new problem - I traded-in my Spark for the Bolt, but can't get rid of it in the app (I did remove it from the web site).
Overall, it's pretty offal (sic).

EldRick said:
It usually takes several tries to connect while BLOT is in my garage. I've also noticed that it rarely updates tire pressures.
It may be that the car can't detect the TPMS readings unless the wheels are turning so that the valve stem containing the sensor moves past the antenna that picks up the reading. So when the car's turned off it may just show you the last reading it was able to obtained.

That's speculation on my part, but it seems plausible to me.

EldRick said:
Now I've got a new problem - I traded-in my Spark for the Bolt, but can't get rid of it in the app (I did remove it from the web site).
Overall, it's pretty offal (sic).

What makes you think it is not updating tire pressure? Tire pressure is updated for me every time a refresh succeeds.

Somehow the absurd hidden behavior of pull down to refresh had escaped me.

Is there a good reason why this is not documented in the app?

Pull down to refresh works on the iPhone App.
I like it just fine. Works first swipe every time for me.

Was intuitive to me as the same process is used to update email and any other networked app.

EldRick said:
Somehow the absurd hidden behavior of pull down to refresh had escaped me. Is there a good reason why this is not documented in the app?
It's one of those more-or-less "standard" Android gestures like swiping to the left to delete something.

I far prefer a desktop interface, but on a smart phone the screen real estate is so limited they sometimes have to resort to actions like this that have no visible indications on the screen.

SeanNelson said:
EldRick said:
Somehow the absurd hidden behavior of pull down to refresh had escaped me. Is there a good reason why this is not documented in the app?
It's one of those more-or-less "standard" Android gestures like swiping to the left to delete something.

I far prefer a desktop interface, but on a smart phone the screen real estate is so limited they sometimes have to resort to actions like this that have no visible indications on the screen.
This is absolutely ridiculous. I build UI's for a living. I've been coding professionally for 30 years. This is one of the most egregious user experience errors I have ever seen.

Vehicle status is probably the most important function of the app. Yet there is no indication as to how an update is performed. Pathetic.

Yeah, you're right, Apple doesn't know a single thing about designing graphical user interfaces. You should go work for them.

:roll:

Mine has completely stopped updating.

When I pull to refresh (which I agree is a REALLY stupid, non-intuitive interface), it gives the spinning-whatever icon that says it's updating, then it stops and nothing changes.

My range has been stuck on 155 miles for a week or so regardless of state of charge, and it no longer will tell me where the car is parked.

Anyone else having the same problem? Any fixes or workarounds?

I find the range report and where-parked functions to be fairly useful, when they're working.

Check that your MyChevrolet / OnStar account that the app is trying to login to works (with a web browser).

I figured out the pull-down-to-update motion quickly. It's the same update procedure for my email. I never knew about swiping left to delete something though, that's new (to me). The update doesn't always work though.

The app should list the last time it was updated. It would be helpful if I knew whether the information is 5 hours or 5 minutes old.

Back