Trip Report - My First 250 Round Trip Commute to Work

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iankh

I work from home 3-days a week and drive to Carlsbad, 125 miles away for my in-office days. I stay overnight. It's a 250-mile roundtrip.

Originally I had posted my questions in the thread I created http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6049 because I was trying to figure out whether a Bolt, which I loved from a couple of test drives would work for me as my only car.

I picked up my Chevy Bolt this past weekend. This posting is a trip report of my first roundtrip drive to the office.

Prologue

I am not a car person. Being originally from back east, I did not even learn to drive until I was nearly 30 years old. For me, a car has always been a "major appliance." Similar to buying a washing machine. Did it do the job and was it economical to run. I have tended to buy economy cars and kept them for 10 years. I must admit that I once did splurge and buy a "luxury" car. That car was a Subaru Forester that I also kept for 10 years.,

My interest in an electric car was brought about by two things. 1) I installed solar and am producing more than enough electricity, and; 2) the Bolt has a range of 238 miles.

After test driving the Bolt and getting answers to my questions, I decided I wanted to lease one something also new to me. Given changes in technology, I thought it might be better at present to lease than own.

I found what I considered a good deal in my local area and took the plunge and splashed out on what would be the second "luxury" car I've had.

The Terrain

My 125-mile drive to work is from the desert to the coast, in strong head and side winds and up and down hills and through mountain passes.

Preparation for the Trip

I did some driving locally to get comfortable with the Bolt and learn how to drive in D and L and also how to use the regenerate on demand paddle.

I also visited a local EVgo fast charger and did a "dress rehearsal" charging up. I wanted to make sure that I did a run-through, so I was not panicked at 9 at night or 5 in the morning trying to figure out how to do it.

I plugged in the Bolt (like a toaster) into an 110 household outlet. I decided that the car needed a name, and so it was christened "Faraday."

Day 1 - Heading to Work

As is typical I was up at 3 and on the road by 4 AM. Faraday had a full charge.

I was determined to drive differently and more efficiently. That meant not driving west on the 10 like a bat out of hell at 80. I stayed in the right-hand lane and did a leisurely 60 to 65, fighting with my lead foot for quite a while.

I found the dash controls useful by a bit alarming. It was good to have the feedback, but it was almost too much feedback. Like a Tex Avery cartoon, I imagine my battery spilling out electrons all over the road behind me, but I soon calmed down.

I continued to experiment changing between D and L, getting a feel for each on a long trip.

I did at one point have to overtake a few vehicles, and I was delighted at the pickup and lack of hesitancy the Faraday showed. Quite a confident car.

We took our first major uphill challenge, going up and through the pass on the 60. Faraday was great going up, none of the complaining gears of my previous car. On the way down in D, Faraday was also great. When I leveled out, I saw that I had more electricity and a higher max mileage on the guess-o-meter than we did when we started the incline.

It was pretty much smooth sailing all the way to the office. I also became much more comfortable and stopped looking at the controls as much.I parked at work with 153 miles (Min 124 / Max 183). The display said that I had left.

Day 1 - After Work - Charging

I had tried the EVgo during my dress rehearsal over the weekend, so I thought I'd try the ChargePoint located at a hotel not far from my own. It's also a DC Fast, and I received a RFID card with the owner's manual and other material. I activated the card when I was home.

The hotel has only one spot for the charger, and I was happy to see that it wasn't occupied. I tapped the card and once given the go ahead, plugged Faraday in. The ChargePoint station said it would charge to 80% and the display on the Bolt showed an 80% line. Not sure why that is a limit? However, it did go on charging past the 80%. I left with about 220 miles indicated. It took about 55 minutes. I know I probably overdid it, but this being my first round trip, I wanted to err towards being more cautious.

The EVgo is located near a Starbucks, which means in theory that I could charge while I have my morning coffee. The EVgo also has two stations, but I'm a bit paranoid about them being occupied, not being able to charge, needing to get to the office, etc, etc.

I'll have to give this option a try next week.

Day 2 - The Drive Home

The drive home was my first experience in bumper to bumper traffic on the 15. Traffic was much heavier than usual.

Again, I tried to focus on my driving technique.

I did think I found a problem with my car and will have to schedule some time to take it back to the dealer. I can shift to L just fine, but not from L to D. I press the side button and push forward but nothing happens. More frightening, it shifts from L to N, but then I can shift back to D. It simply won’t go from L to D.

It was very warm, with the sun beating on me due to the low angle in the west. I didn’t turn on the AC. I’ll save that for another drive. But the interesting point about this was I opened the windows. I usually didn’t do this because of the noise, but now I realize that some of the noise was from the road and most of it was from the ICB car I used to drive. Faraday being so quiet, made opening the windows possible and even enjoyable.

Part of the drive home is up to the 74 and through the mountain pass, by far the steepest grade of the whole journey. Faraday was using battery power at, for my eye, an alarming rate. Once up and over, I still had more than enough mile left to get home.

The rest of the drive was uneventful. I stayed in the right-hand lanes, which was hard for me because typically I’d be over to the left doing 80+ in the mad dash to get home. Another lesson learned was that it didn’t make all that much of a difference in the length of the drive.

Conclusion

The Bolt was a pleasure to drive, much more so than my ICB car. It was wonderful even to be able to take the steepest grade without a screaming engine. The Bolt did it effortlessly.

I was stressed because this was my first roundtrip and there was the fear of suddenly running out of juice. Not sure why. When I arrived home, I still had a minimum range of over 100 miles.

I have been using the enhanced display, and I like all of the information but wonder if this is contributing to my stress? Perhaps it’s TOO much information for me just now.

I wasn’t happy about not being able to shift from L to D and jumping to N. Perhaps it’s something I’m doing, but I think not. I don’t fancy a trip to the dealer. But this isn’t a major issue, just inconvenient.

In summary, I’m extremely pleased with the Bolt and the EV experience. I’m not an EV enthusiast. I’m not even a car enthusiast. As I said at the start, a car is little more than a major appliance to me. My attitude may have changed slightly since moving to California and spending, as I do, 6 hours a week in a round trip commute to the office, but it hasn’t changed much. I suppose that in the market of car buyers, I might be the next wave. Not an early adopter, and not a particularly green embracer, though I also find that attractive. I’m probably that wave of buyer who likes technology, and for whom the Bolt and the range it offers is a plausible and practical transportation solution. I love love, love, love, love, the idea of not having to wait in line at Costco for gas EVER again.

Pretty sure that to shift from L to D is just a tap forward of the gear shift. No need to use the button.

Use the button + up = neutral
Use the button + up + left = Reverse

From reverse, no button, just pull it down = D

Pull down again (no button) = L

Wookie said:
Pretty sure that to shift from L to D is just a tap forward of the gear shift. No need to use the button.

Close, from L to D is just pulling down again, no button. Once in either D or L, down toggles between L & D.

Congratulations.

Warning, however. Quiet, responsiveness, pickup and lack of hesitancy can give you a condition known as "EV Grin".

You might try stopping at some of the DCQCs on the way home. Stop just long enough to make sure you have the correct access (RFID card, etc), put in a few kWh and check out any local amenities. This would get you familiar with your options if things are going wrong and you need to stop for a charge.

The idea is to have points on the trip where I check the usage of power and the current state of the battery and make sure I'll get home with enough margin.

I call these options "bail plans". I've actually needed to use a bail plan one exactly once.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23789#p491270

On your trip home, I'd check about 5 miles before Banning, CA, where there is a Greenlots DCQC at a McDonald's. Find a level of charge bars and/or estimated range, taking conditions into account, that means that you are very sure to make it home from there. If you have less than that, stop and charge until you have enough to get home with no worries.

WetEV said:
Congratulations.

Warning, however. Quiet, responsiveness, pickup and lack of hesitancy can give you a condition known as "EV Grin".

You might try stopping at some of the DCQCs on the way home. Stop just long enough to make sure you have the correct access (RFID card, etc), put in a few kWh and check out any local amenities. This would get you familiar with your options if things are going wrong and you need to stop for a charge.

The idea is to have points on the trip where I check the usage of power and the current state of the battery and make sure I'll get home with enough margin.

I call these options "bail plans". I've actually needed to use a bail plan one exactly once.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23789#p491270

On your trip home, I'd check about 5 miles before Banning, CA, where there is a Greenlots DCQC at a McDonald's. Find a level of charge bars and/or estimated range, taking conditions into account, that means that you are very sure to make it home from there. If you have less than that, stop and charge until you have enough to get home with no worries.

I'm going to have to check this out next week.

I'm also calling the La Quinta Carlsbad to talk to the manager today about installing DCFC capabilities. The same owners own the Ramada next door and steps away. I am going to make the argument about being competitive with the Hilton Gardens.

iankh said:
I'm also calling the La Quinta Carlsbad to talk to the manager today about installing DCFC capabilities. The same owners own the Ramada next door and steps away. I am going to make the argument about being competitive with the Hilton Gardens.
A couple of 240V L2 units would be just as effective for overnight guests.

DCFC is significantly more expensive. The average install is about $40K. The good news is the hotel will most likely have the required 3 phase 480 available.

If they go the L2 route, Tesla will give them two wall connectors (for free) that could also be installed and get the hotel listed on Teslas site
https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging?redirect=no
Currently, the Bolt can't use the the HPWC, but there may be an adapter soon that opens up a lot of L2 charging to non-Tesla EV's. Tony Williams has produced a working prototype of the JDapter, but not production yet.
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapterQuickChargePowercom-Jdapter.htm

DucRider said:
A couple of 240V L2 units would be just as effective for overnight guests.

DCFC is significantly more expensive. The average install is about $40K. The good news is the hotel will most likely have the required 3 phase 480 available.

L2 units are better for the cars, more convenient for you as a hotel guest, and cheaper to install.

Also, demand charges will make the electric power more expensive for the hotel.

Wookie said:

Thank you! Yep, this was it. Works fine. You saved me a trip to the dealer.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I know you were unsure of whether it would be worth undertaking. I'm glad you did, and made it with plenty of margin to boot. I'm sure as you do this trip more, you will get to know the car better. Then you'll know how fast you can actually drive and whether it's ok to turn on the AC.

Thx for the report.

I second (third and fourth) the proposal that you try to convince them to add a couple of L2 (level-2, i.e., 240V ~40 Amp) rather than a DCFC.

- The L2 would be much cheaper to install and maintain for the hotel (so an easier convince job)

- A hotel guest should have no problem with the idea of leaving the car charging for 6-10 hours (it is sitting in the lot overnight anyhow)

Get back to us on the success (or lack thereof) after talking to the hotel.

Have you spoken to the Hilton about getting a similar nightly rate to what you are paying now, at their facility?

SparkE said:
Thx for the report.

I second (third and fourth) the proposal that you try to convince them to add a couple of L2 (level-2, i.e., 240V ~40 Amp) rather than a DCFC.

- The L2 would be much cheaper to install and maintain for the hotel (so an easier convince job)

- A hotel guest should have no problem with the idea of leaving the car charging for 6-10 hours (it is sitting in the lot overnight anyhow)

Get back to us on the success (or lack thereof) after talking to the hotel.

Have you spoken to the Hilton about getting a similar nightly rate to what you are paying now, at their facility?

I highly doubt the Hilton would give me the same excellent rate I negotiated with the La Quinta. Given the location, and proximity to Legoland rates are high and the Hilton'a rack rate is higher than the La Quinta, but I may call them anyway. Who knows, they might come down Given its 48 room nights a year.

Excellent report.
One thing that might help is setting the cruise control, if you have it. It adds mileage to any car (electric or ICE).

Eastocean said:
Excellent report.
One thing that might help is setting the cruise control, if you have it. It adds mileage to any car (electric or ICE).

I do have cruise control, though I don't think it's adaptive. I don't see how it could be since I don't have the driver confidence package. Wanted it, but DCFC was a higher priority, and all of the models at the dealer that had the confidence package didn't have DCFC.

A positive move forward. I spoke to the GM at the La Quinta and he said that they have been toying with the idea of EV charging facilities and that other properties he worked at have had them. He said my call was timely and it was good to have the request coming from a guest. I suggested L2 charging facilities and I would be happy to plug in overnight.

I suggested charging stations between the La Quinta and the Ramada steps away as a shared facility. It would make both hotels more attractive and very handy because they are next to the 5.

I'll be interested to see if they take a step in this direction.

I also have a call into the sales at the Hilton Gardens. Though I like the La Quinta. The staff know me, and I always get "my room."

None of the Bolts currently have Adaptive Cruise Control.

Using cruise control evens out all of the little adjustments you consciously and unconsciously make to the accelerations you make while driving. I have tested cruise control and non-cruise control on a 40 mile drive I make every week. I always get better mileage with cruise control.

iankh said:
A positive move forward. I spoke to the GM at the La Quinta and he said that they have been toying with the idea of EV charging facilities and that other properties he worked at have had them. He said my call was timely and it was good to have the request coming from a guest. I suggested L2 charging facilities and I would be happy to plug in overnight.

I suggested charging stations between the La Quinta and the Ramada steps away as a shared facility. It would make both hotels more attractive and very handy because they are next to the 5.

If it is intended to be a perk for hotel guests, then they would need to do something like require non-guests to pay (discount or free for hotel guests), or put it in a parking area where hotel guest parking permits are required, so that hotel guests do not constantly find it filled up with non-guests' cars.

That may also be a reason (beyond cost) for the hotel to put in L2 rather than DCFC, since L2 is less attractive to drivers passing through who need a quick charge, as opposed to hotel guests who can plug their cars in while the guests sleep in the hotel rooms.

Spoke to the Hilton Gardens today, as I suspected they can't match the rate I get at the La Quinta, but we are talking about a 3-star vs. 2-star property. I'll have to content myself with charging at the Hilton, or enjoy a Starbucks, while I charge at the EVgo. Hopefully, eventually, the La Quinta will install some L2 facilities.

Tomorrow, is my second commute to the office with Faraday, my Bolt.

iankh said:
Spoke to the Hilton Gardens today, as I suspected they can't match the rate I get at the La Quinta, but we are talking about a 3-star vs. 2-star property. I'll have to content myself with charging at the Hilton, or enjoy a Starbucks, while I charge at the EVgo. Hopefully, eventually, the La Quinta will install some L2 facilities.

Tomorrow, is my second commute to the office with Faraday, my Bolt.

Beware - EVgo is going to rape you on the prices !! (Their 'connect fee' is *outrageous*).

Try this (a great 'backup' plan in any case) : Greenlots.

- Download the app to your smart phone. Sign up for free account.
- North County Kia (near junction of I-15 & CA-78 in Escondido) offers FREE fast charging for EVERYONE.

It sounds like they have no problem letting all makes of cars use their 50 kW DCFC. A short 20-minute charge either on the way in or the way home would add about 15 kWh, or about 50-60 miles of range.

If you take I-10 and CA-60, there are two DCFCs (both GreenLots) : Walmart in Moreno Valley and McDonald's in Banning. Both are right off the highway, and both bill by the kWh (actual electric consumption), not by time connected. If you take CA-74, the last non-EVgo fast charger is at the Kia dealer in Escondidio.

So if you didn't manage to get enough of a charge before you leave Carlsbad (either on the 'way in', or before leaving the day of), you can try to stop at the Kia dealer. If it works, you can go home however you like. If you can't get electrons in Escondido (and don't wish to wait), then you are sort of doomed to take 215-to-10 route home (if you wish to avoid EVgo).

And to re-iterate, I'd stop at the Kia dealer on the way into town to try and get 15-20 kWh. I'd later stop at the Hilton if more electrons are needed, and fall back to the EVgo as a last resort on the way home. EVgo has DCFCs in Carlsbad (which you know) as well as two DCFC units in Temecula at Vail Ranch Center. (And lots of other DCFCs along the 215-to-10 route - it's not as if you would be stranded with only one choice.)

Since the Bolt charges fastest when between about 15% - 50% full (SOC = State Of Charge), if you pay by time connected (i.e., EVgo) it is more cost-effective to charge with a lower battery state. 30 minutes of charging at a 50 kW station starting when you are 80% full will get you about 1/3 (one third) the energy that you would get in 30 minutes if you started with a 15% charge. So don't charge at EVgo on the way IN (unless there's a good reason for it) - you will be paying even more for the electricity. Using EVgo as the emergency fall-back, you would charge up at the last station you feel comfortable using when heading home. That would probably mean (for you) - Hilton didn't work, Kia didn't work on the way in or out, so you fall back to Temecula or Murieta or Menifee (if you want to take 74), or either of the Greenlots DCFCs off CA-60, or the 3 DCFCs near Banning. Your route(s) have quite a few choices, you will have a problem only if you are unlucky. And with the 32 Amp L-2 charging built into the Bolt, your 'Plan C' is to stop at any of the dozens of level-2 charge spots along the route. If you have really, really bad luck the trip will take an extra hour or two, but you won't get stranded.

I always keep something I want to read in the car, for those 15-30 minute stops for electrons.

SparkE said:
Beware - EVgo is going to rape you on the prices !! (Their 'connect fee' is *outrageous*).

Another opinion. EVgo is more expensive. This means it would be more likely to be available than a free charger. I use free chargers when available, but tend not to rely on them as they are more likely to be in use, and more likely to be broken, at least in my experience.

The connect fee is $4.95 on the "Flex" plan, and if you do 3 or more a week you are far better off with the "On-the-Go" with no connect fee.

At $0.10 per minute it is still not cheap, but availability and reliability are important as well. The ideal would be a L2 station at the hotel or the office park, should be cheap, should be fairly available unless is free and should be reliable, and would be the most convenient options.

Note that the average cost of kWh is an average between home and on the road.

SparkE said:

- North County Kia (near junction of I-15 & CA-78 in Escondido) offers FREE fast charging for EVERYONE.

This is a worthwhile backup plan. I have a paid Greenlots account that I've never used. But I might have used it several times. Backup plans are worth having, even if you never use them. And things do go wrong.

WetEV said:
SparkE said:

Another opinion. EVgo is more expensive. This means it would be more likely to be available than a free charger. I use free chargers when available, but tend not to rely on them as they are more likely to be in use, and more likely to be broken, at least in my experience.

The connect fee is $4.95 on the "Flex" plan, and if you do 3 or more a week you are far better off with the "On-the-Go" with no connect fee.

At $0.10 per minute it is still not cheap, but availability and reliability are important as well. The ideal would be a L2 station at the hotel or the office park, should be cheap, should be fairly available unless is free and should be reliable, and would be the most convenient options.

Note that the average cost of kWh is an average between home and on the road.

SparkE said:

This is a worthwhile backup plan. I have a paid Greenlots account that I've never used. But I might have used it several times. Backup plans are worth having, even if you never use them. And things do go wrong.

There's something to be said for peace of mind. Being 125 miles away from home and for business, there is a benefit to knowing that on my way to my hotel I can stop for 30 minutes and charge top up enough to not worry about the drive home the next day. I prefer doing it right after work my first day, so I can get to my room and just relax. I like being able to just have a relaxing breakfast the next morning, without the need to think about having to charge. Further, there's a benefit to just be able to leave work after a stressful day and head directly home, with no need to stop.

However, it's good to have several plan B's and places to stop en route home to top up. I need to stop at the McDonalds in Banning next week. I currently sometimes stop for a bio break at the Del Taco in Beaumont, but a stop at McDonalds would also mean a potential top up.

I'm sure that right now I'm topping up more than I need to, but only having done the commute twice I don't have a solid enough sense of what the Bolt can do. Also, very soon the temperatures will rise and I'm not sure how the ultra-high temperature and running the A/C will impact battery performance.

But, so far so good!

This week I also had an electrician come out to move and upgrade and unused dryer circuit in the garage. It's now a 240V 50 Amp circuit for my JuiceBox.

Back