Seat split at the seams

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobpenn

I noticed a week ago that my front driver's seat had a piece of plastic sticking out at the seams (see photo). The dealer ordered another seat from Detroit. It arrived today, and what do you know, it also had the plastic sticking out! They are telling me that it looks like a manufacturing error, and they sent my original seat to an upholsterer to repair the seat.

I don't care, so long as they fix the seat, but it's odd that two of them had it. Keep your eyes out ...

bolt seat.jpg

That's the retainer sticking out. It's not in place behind the side airbag cover. :idea:
Your dealer is clueless :mrgreen:

They know what it is. They are having trouble re-positioning it. Hopefully they will come through, but that is what warranty is all about!

ugh, so it looks like mine's doing it to. Oh car 1.0, why must you test me so!

Hey drdiesel1, before I bring this to my idiot dealer, has there been a TSB on this?

...and can anyone recommend a NON-idiot dealer in Southern California? ;)
SEAT.JPG

rybolt said:
ugh, so it looks like mine's doing it to. Oh car 1.0, why must you test me so!

Hey drdiesel1, before I bring this to my idiot dealer, has there been a TSB on this?

...and can anyone recommend a NON-idiot dealer in Southern California? ;)

I have not found a TSB for this yet, but that could change at anytime. I'm in NorCal, so, I can't help with a dealer reference.

My split seat has been fixed, I have been told (picking it up tomorrow, as the "idiot dealer" as they were called also touched up the paint in an area where I scraped the Bolt during my first backup with the rear cameras. They sent it to a body shop, even though it was 100% my fault).

There may be an issue with the front driver's seat. I just posted to let people know in case it happens to them, and to let them know that they will address it. Who knows, when they are doing the repair, maybe they will also add more padding to the seat (not a problem for me, but I know it's bothering many people on this forum).

bobpenn said:
My split seat has been fixed, I have been told (picking it up tomorrow, as the "idiot dealer" as they were called also touched up the paint in an area where I scraped the Bolt during my first backup with the rear cameras. They sent it to a body shop, even though it was 100% my fault).

There may be an issue with the front driver's seat. I just posted to let people know in case it happens to them, and to let them know that they will address it. Who knows, when they are doing the repair, maybe they will also add more padding to the seat (not a problem for me, but I know it's bothering many people on this forum).

I never said your dealer was an, "Idiot".......... I just wonder who the, "IDIOT" was, that ordered you a complete seat :lol:

Actually don't know what they ordered. I'm assuming was complete seat but it might've just been a part. All I know is the part had to come from Detroit because I did not have it in stock. Did not mean to miscommunicate.

Mine is doing the same thing on both seats :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Boy did they screw up on this seats all around, I can wait till the stitching starts to come apart, when will this seat issue end?????

Attachments

• Left seat.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 18,699
  • Right seat.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 18,699
Me too... GM is ordering a new seat cover but I doubt this will fix it (long term) My car had this issue at 200 miles on the ODO. $43k for this sort of seat quality is laughable.

AMBER from GM, are you reading this? Where is the TSB already???

View attachment Bolt-seat-issue.jpg

My local dealer had me come in this weekend to "fix the seats" they called me 3 hours latter and told me they had to order new parts for the seats, (we all knew this was going to be the story from the get-go, they could just had told me that and not keep my car for 3 hours but I will play the game)

I am not mad at the service people, I understand that they are just doing their job and following procedures, I am mad at GM for giving us costumers the run around instead of FIXING THE ISSUE ALREADY!!!

Unless the "new parts" are a total redesign the seats will continue to come apart and at some point there will be a class action law suit.

Zago said:
Unless the "new parts" are a total redesign the seats will continue to come apart and at some point there will be a class action law suit.

I had mine replaced by the dealer and he believes they are the same parts. I can only imagine I will be calling him back in a couple of months since the very bottom of the seat back is already showing it wants to come loose; and I swear I did not 'help' it along. The design is just bad.

Just posted this on the costumer survey GM sent me.

This was a return visit from the original issue (the front seats back trim was coming apart). On my first visit after keeping my car all day!!!! they told me that they needed to order new parts, and they where going to call me when the parts come in. 2 weeks later I called to check on the parts and they told me that they had been in and "they where about to call me" so I made an appointment for Saturday 7am, they serviced my car as promised, but now my complaint is that I left my car there at 7.00 am and they told me it was going to be ready around 12pm, (5 hours to replace seat trim???) I didn't get a call all day until I decided to call them at 4.30pm and they told me that my car had been done and they where "just about to call me"

I know my car was in for warranty work (not my fault of poor GM craftsmanship) but why push my car aside till last minute for a simple repair?? am I a second class costumer??? did I not buy a NEW premium trim car????

BTW, the same parts as the original where used for the seat repair so I know I will be visiting the dealer a 3th time for them to keep my car all day to "inspect the seats", and "order new parts", and "call me when they are in", and "I end up calling them and making an appointment", and than visiting a 4th time for them to keep my car all day again.

Just an annoying vicious cycle. mean time the seats issues are making a big splash around the Chevy Bolt forums.....

Add me to the list of folks who have this issue. Left side of driver seat exactly as the photos earlier in this thread. Close to 8000 kms on the car. I'm currently waiting for a call back from the service manager to schedule a warranty inspection. I will also be pointing out that the seat back, front facing sides of the seat edges of my seat, have zero padding. I can knock directly on hard plastic (below just the material cover) on the front facing edge that sticks into my ribcage. I am hoping to be able to compare the seat to another Bolt on that visit but I doubt it will be possible as they are still as rare as rocking horse poop around here.

After about a month after the repair, it split AGAIN. I am taking it back to the dealer again.

Went into dealership and service manager said they will need to take the seat apart and likely replace the cover. He is also going to speak with Chevy and explore my concerns re general seat comfort (or lack of it).
Service manager was great but said it was the first Bolt he had had in the shop and first he had heard of seat discomfort issues. Not surprising though here to be honest.
I am hoping to get the car back in for the work asap and will update once it is done.

Brought my car in. This time, they are going to replace the entire seat. Will see if it works.

Its happening again...... :x :x :x :x :x :x

Just as we suspected, the SAME part was used to "repair" the original issue and sure enough, its failing again.. what did you expect Chevy????

Now I have to prepare for another worthless, annoying day spent dealing with the dealer's dance:

Make an appointment for inspection, "we will order your parts and call you when they are in",

1 month later I have to call and they are going to tell me, "oh yes they came in, we where just about to call you"

make another appointment, "we will call you when is done" 6 hours later I call them, "oh yes is done, we where just about to call you"

JUST FIX IT ALREADY !!!!

Zago said:
Make an appointment for inspection, "we will order your parts and call you when they are in",
1 month later I have to call and they are going to tell me, "oh yes they came in, we where just about to call you"
make another appointment, "we will call you when is done" 6 hours later I call them, "oh yes is done, we where just about to call you"
If that happened to me it would be the last visit I made to that service department.

They honestly should just fix it by using a retainer pin on that connector. It would stop the issues and probably save them some money.

I wouldn't suggest you do it though as I am sure you care about the warranty.

Back