Steering lock?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanZ

Just picked up my Bolt today and I ran into something I've never experienced before: I'm used twisting the steering wheel while getting out of the car so that it 'locks' into position and will no longer move until the car is restarted. On the Bolt, however, no matter how much I turn the wheel it never locks. It feels like a car with no power steering; I can turn it freely, it just requires a little more effort.

Since I sometimes park on steep hills this is a little worrying. Is this normal behavior? I see a fuse for an 'Electric steering column lock' which makes me think the wheel should be locking.

I don't think it has one. I have a VW that has a steering wheel lock, however, it unlocks as soon as the key is inside the car, even before starting the car and after the car is shut off.

On the off chance it was detecting the keyfob I left it in the house and tried to move the wheel though the driver side window. Still spins. I guess it just doesn't lock?

It would be nice of someone from Chevy could confirm. :)

I searched all over the web and through the owner's manual - there is no mention of a steering wheel lock.
Curious to see what the dealer would say, but I doubt they have any new information.

Spoke with the dealer today: My sales guy said he sat in one of their Bolts and the wheel stopped turning after the car was off for a couple of seconds. He said their service department said that the steering takes a couple of seconds to power down. I asked him if it actually locked and he kind of waffled around it and suggested it just might be 'more difficult than usual' to turn when the car is off. I mentioned every car does that when the power steering kicks out so he's going to look into it more and call me back.

Back