I love my Bolt!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polbear

Okay, so I am hypermiler and I am getting on average 330 miles to a charge with the Bolt. I have gotten as high as 365 miles and the lowest was 302. Has anyone else been getting these kind of numbers?

Pics, or it didn't happen!

9fd3bc037573abdf65e8586380ad0cfa.jpg

polbear said:
Okay, so I am hypermiler and I am getting on average 330 miles to a charge with the Bolt. I have gotten as high as 365 miles and the lowest was 302. Has anyone else been getting these kind of numbers?

Holy F. That is great! Thanks for sharing!

Please tell us what exactly do you do to hypermile? In order of importance please.

How high psi do you pump your tires?

Very gentle on the pedal, what else?

Windows up, A/C on?

I keep trying to add picts but it is not working? Does anyone have any ideas? I am planning a trip from my home in Granada Hills; CA to San Jose, CA taking Interstate 5 it is 320 miles. I love a competition anyone who wants to test his or her hyper miler skills give me a shout? PS - I also owned a 2014 Rav4 EV. I was getting 140 on average. I got as high as 165 with that EV.

polbear said:
I keep trying to add picts but it is not working? Does anyone have any ideas? I am planning a trip from my home in Granada Hills; CA to San Jose, CA taking Interstate 5 it is 320 miles. I love a competition anyone who wants to test his or her hyper miler skills give me a shout? PS - I also owned a 2014 Rav4 EV. I was getting 140 on average. I got as high as 165 with that EV.

You can do it like this :

california-poppy-flower.jpg

Click on "Img" in the "post a Reply" screen (directly above the text entry box), then add the complete URL for the jpg between the {img} and {/img} tags.

Concerning driving from Granada Hills to San Jose - there just aren't that many DCFC chargers along I-5. You might want to consider taking US-101 instead. It *is* longer, but there are multiple DCFC chargers along the route, less than every 100 miles (I think). On the way home, you can use the dual 50 kW (ChargePoint) chargers near Santa Barbara, to get a FAST fill (if your battery is under 30% full when you get there). On the way up, if you leave with a full battery, your battery will be pretty full and you won't be able to pull at a 50 kW rate - probably 35 kW or slower.

Click on "Img" in the "post a Reply" screen (directly above the text entry box), then add the complete URL for the jpg between the {img} and {/img} tags.

You can also do it the way I do: paste in the image url, highlight it, then click on Img in the options. You get the url inserted automatically between the commands.

I do not intend to recharge till I get to SJC Airport! It is 320 miles from my home and this is a real world test!

polbear said:
I do not intend to recharge till I get to SJC Airport! It is 320 miles from my home and this is a real world test!

Yup, you're a hypermiler. You'll risk missing a flight for the chance at a new personal best range number. A least you admit you have the disease, which is a significant step in the long road to recovery. I credit the love & support from my family, and Hypermiler's Anonymous for saving me from this terrible condition. It was an emotional moment when the whole group got up and gave me a standing ovation after my sponsor announced that I reduced my tire pressure down to 40PSI. I've recently earned my 1-year chip, and haven't drafted a semi in 14 months.

I am a food consultant and i have 9 million air miles over 15 airlines so when I can drive I will! That said this is just a test, I do not over inflate the tires nor have I changed any thing on the Bolt. So no addiction just fun for me, and a personal mileston. http://webmail.earthlink.net/wam/MsgAttachment?msgid=3273&attachno=1&folder=INBOX&x=2007017331

This guy loves his Bolt too (I wonder if the owner is on this forum?).

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110633_2017-chevy-bolt-ev-electric-car-at-6-months-owners-likes-dislikes-thoughts/page-2

Two statements caught my attention. He mentions torque steer. And he mentions different regenerative braking behavior depending on the Bolt's charge state. I've already driven a few EVs with braking behavior that changes based on vehicle state. This won't cut it for the masses. You need to have a vehicle that always behaves the same in a given situation. You can't have "If I pull on this lever Monday something happens, but if I pull on it Tuesday something else happens".

I'd be interested in hearing from Bolt owners about torque steer. You observe torque steer when you stomp on the accelerator from a dead stop with centered steering and your hands off the wheel (but definitely ready to grab!). Same thing about the regen braking comments. I'd love to hear from Bolt owners.

Sigh... All these happy Bolt owners, and I'm still waiting for a test drive here in CT. My local dealer has taken delivery of 3 so far, all sold in advance. There are literally hundreds of Bolts 20 miles away in RI, but then I lose a $3,000 CT tax credit (have to buy from an in-state dealership).

ScooterCT said:
Sigh... All these happy Bolt owners, and I'm still waiting for a test drive here in CT. My local dealer has taken delivery of 3 so far, all sold in advance. There are literally hundreds of Bolts 20 miles away in RI, but then I lose a $3,000 CT tax credit (have to buy from an in-state dealership).

I don't know if you saw it, but I mentioned in another thread that there are Bolts available at Ingersoll Auto in Danbury, CT. I know it's the other side of the state, but the Bolt can make the trip easily enough. And it gets you an in-state dealer so you qualify for the $3k credit.

Tip of the day!
Enjoy the ride, before leaving on a trip plot you course on level to slightly down roads. Same for your return they may be a little longer but you will see the difference, and enjoy your trip more.

polbear said:
Tip of the day!
Enjoy the ride, before leaving on a trip plot you course on level to slightly down roads. Same for your return they may be a little longer but you will see the difference, and enjoy your trip more.

Did you just suggest someone finds a route that is downhill both ways? :shock:

It is possible to find routes that go from level to down hill both ways, it is possible I ha
Be done it going to several locations.

Most interstate' s are flat or built slightly down hill. So when I say level I mean flat, or as flat as it can be for the area it is in. I live in SoCal so I have several roads I take that fit this criteria. Sorry for any confusion!

I disagree with the bit about brake regen "not cutting it for the masses". It's not the least bit esoteric. But this is a discussion for another thread.

Back