Anyone else having trouble with going to fast?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoltBolt

Got my first ticket in 28 years a week ago, 70 in 55 going downhill. Two days ago, almost same thing. Little traffic on hilly country highways. I seem to have no sense of how fast the car is going. In my Silverado, I have to work at speeding and in the Volt correct speeds seem natural. Not for me in the BOLT. Anyone else speeding??

The cruise control will help you maintain a set speed - even downhill (so long as the battery isn't completely full).

VoltBolt said:
Got my first ticket in 28 years a week ago, 70 in 55 going downhill. Two days ago, almost same thing. Little traffic on hilly country highways. I seem to have no sense of how fast the car is going. In my Silverado, I have to work at speeding and in the Volt correct speeds seem natural. Not for me in the BOLT. Anyone else speeding??

I had that problem when I first started to drive an electric. Luckily didn't get a ticket. I hit 90 mph in a 55 zone. There is no engine noise feedback to warn you of driving too fast. If no traffic around, it is too easy to speed.

Get in the habit of glancing at the speedometer, or use cruise control especially when no traffic.

I've never had this problem in my Leaf, but I did notice it when I test drove a Bolt. I got on the highway for 1 exit, and was doing 80+ MPH before the end of the entrance ramp!

The combination of a silent EV with the high power/torque of the Bolt makes speeding all too easy.

GetOffYourGas said:
I've never had this problem in my Leaf, but I did notice it when I test drove a Bolt. I got on the highway for 1 exit, and was doing 80+ MPH before the end of the entrance ramp!

The combination of a silent EV with the high power/torque of the Bolt makes speeding all too easy.
I can't think of a more concise way of explaining the truth of this vehicle.

I try to stay with the flow of traffic though, it helps a little. As does Waze. :oops:

My wife, who loves car accidents and tickets brought the car back home Tuesday with about half a battery left for a 50 mile round trip. Sheepishly admitted to driving about 95 MPH. How she did that down the 210 is beyond me. Anybody have experience with the teen driver speed warning?

Pigwich said:
My wife, who loves car accidents and tickets brought the car back home Tuesday with about half a battery left for a 50 mile round trip. Sheepishly admitted to driving about 95 MPH. How she did that down the 210 is beyond me. Anybody have experience with the teen driver speed warning?

A Bolt? Was she exasperated when it refused to go over 93?

Use cruise more.

I use it whenever possible - even on 25 mph streets. not only will you keep yourself from speeding, but you will increase your range.

Wookie said:
Use cruise more.

I use it whenever possible - even on 25 mph streets. not only will you keep yourself from speeding, but you will increase your range.

I find I need cruise much more on those 25mph streets than on the highway. A lot of these streets have low limits because there are neighborhoods and kids around. These are also the streets where cops are far more strict with speeders (for hopefully obvious reasons).

phil0909 said:
A Bolt? Was she exasperated when it refused to go over 93?

I dunno - I wasn't in the car, but I did set the Teen Driver to nag at 75 for her commute today, and I haven't heard about it yet, so we'll see what happens. I also had to remind her that we'd miss her if she got herself killed.

But yeah, it's easy to end up going like a bat out of hell in the beefy EVs. I used to catch myself at 85 in my Spark EV on the regular. Oops.

Pigwich said:
But yeah, it's easy to end up going like a bat out of hell in the beefy EVs. I used to catch myself at 85 in my Spark EV on the regular. Oops.

Not just EVs. I replaced my 300ZX with a Lexus LS400. The first day, I noticed the speedometer a little over a hundred. I'd have sworn I was under 70 - that's how much smoother the luxury car ride was than the little sports car. I've had no such problem with the Bolt - it does not feel like driving an aircraft carrier.

LOL!

I never consider going FAST a problem. Love how fast the Bolt accelerates and wish the speed limiter wasn't set so low at 93 mph -- I could go 103 in my Prius and the Bolt should be able to go at least 105.

I speed in every car I drive but it requires vigilance which I exercise well because I have NOT gotten a ticket in over 10 years. Just pay more attention to your surroundings before putting your foot into the accelerator when driving your Bolt. ;)

The only problem I've had with speeding is explaining to my wife why her range went down from 248 on Friday to 199 on Monday. That's after a "Full" charge with Hilltop Reserve turned on and AC off. It's going to take awhile to get used to her slow daily commute after our high speed run on Memorial Day. After 4 days it's up to 209, so going in the right direction.

About the Speed Limit warning, I had it set for 72 at first and found it went off too much to keep up with the traffic flow, so turned it off.

BoltADrome said:
About the Speed Limit warning, I had it set for 72 at first and found it went off too much to keep up with the traffic flow, so turned it off.

What "speed limit warning"? Didn't know there was one. Have no intention of turning it on but will look to see where it's at. LOL!

Yes, around town it is so much fun and so quiet I find myself always 10-15 MPH over posted.

Also, the low center of gravity feels so much more stable than tall, tippy trucks and SUVs, it encourages more spirited driving.

Haven't done enough highway miles yet in the Bolt, but driving the son's BMW i3, I glanced down and found myself going 80 MPH on an urban freeway with the grandson in the rear carseat. Similar smooth, quiet sensation.

jack vines

Back