Why does the Bolt have a gearshift in the middle?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

I'm just wondering? Why? And a confusing one at that. I started wondering about this when I seriously started looking at used Tesla Model S and Model 3. They have really simple, intuitive stalks on the steering column - which means you can have a really clean center console. In fact, I hope the center consoles on EVs progress to the point where they're modular. Wouldn't it be cool if you could just swap out a center console to an aftermarket one you liked better?

So back to the question - does anybody know why GM put a gearshift knob in the traditional location? And bonus question - do you prefer it there?

ScooterCT said:
So back to the question - does anybody know why GM put a gearshift knob in the traditional location? And bonus question - do you prefer it there?

I think your question answers itself. GM built the Bolt to be a car, so it looks and feels like their other cars. As EV drivers, we know that it isn't always best to look like an ICEV. But on the flip side, it is more familiar to the non-enthusiast, who is the target market for this car. I would prefer it wasn't there, but it certainly doesn't bother me that it is.

This is called skeuomorphic design. It is a transition from old design requirements to new, which eases the learning curve for the user. This sort of thing takes years to go away - the time it takes for users to become comfortable with the new paradigm.

Other examples include the desktop software calendars that imitate the appearance of a book with binding, like a physical desk calendar.

EldRick said:
This is called skeuomorphic design. It is a transition from old design requirements to new, which eases the learning curve for the user. This sort of thing takes years to go away - the time it takes for users to become comfortable with the new paradigm.

Other examples include the desktop software calendars that imitate the appearance of a book with binding, like a physical desk calendar.

True. And to be fair, with modern ICEVs, this is just as true. It really goes back to the days of a "4 on the floor" stick shift.

And to DanCar's complaint, it really doesn't take up all that much space if we are being honest.

And this car went from concept to production in just two years. They already had the electronic shifter, steering wheel/column/stalks in their parts bin. The fewer unique parts for the Bolt, The quicker to market. As for Tesla, they buy the steering column stalks and power window/mirror/lock controls from Mercedes-Benz where they are used in most of their vehicles, saving a lot of money.

As a software GUI engineer, I'm not sure I'd call this a skeuomorphic issue. A good example of skeuomorphism in a car would be software replicating a physical speedometer dial on an OLED display panel. In the case of the shift lever, we're talking about physical object being moved to a new location. Honda did this with the several family vehicles - no problems and customers love it. Tesla moved it the steering column and customers love it. The steering column is actually a standard historical location for shift levers for automatic transmissions - anybody over 60 remembers column shift levers.

I've always wondered if putting automatic transmission shift levers between the seats was a marketing ruse to make males feel less emasculated by the fact the car was shifting for them. We get to rest our hand on the shift knob, fantasize we're shifting, and hum Ferrari exhaust notes as we accelerate (when we're alone). Can't do that with a column or dashboard shift knob.

I thought four on the floor was always superior to three on the tree. Go back to when stick shifts became available and I doubt you'll see anyone objecting to it.

If Chevy put the shifter on the steering column, there would be numerous complaints about "how confusing" it is. They chose to go with what works.

I totally don't buy the "customers would hate it" argument. Especially since GM itself sells the Tahoe with a console mounted gear shift. And that vehicle actually makes money and matters to GM. And we're not talking about something you're shifting anyway IT DOESN'T HAVE GEARS. Well, if it's a standard EV, it does have a single reduction gear to multiply torque.

And as I noted at the start of this thread, the highly successful Tesla Model S and the 400,000+ orders Model 3 don't have floor mounted gear shifts. Any attempt to argue customers wouldn't accept it - I'm not buying it. The evidence says otherwise.

From the previous posters, the one that makes most sense to me is "keep it cheap via the parts bin".

Just look at this beautifully usable center console... Brought to you by <throat clearing sounds> GM...

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv

Buy what you want, because it's always to each his own. Personally, I don't care where it is. It takes about two minutes behind the wheel to adapt. I doubt it will affect a single sale, either way.

What I -do- know is folks will complain no matter what. If Chevy had placed the shifter on the wheel tree, I'll bet you my house that there will be complaints. It's human nature.

Can't really argue with that last observation. How does it go? You can please some people all the time...

GM, like all auto manufacturers does their market research and consumer preference panels. Anything that's in there, it's because a majority of the numbnuts consumers said they prefer it that way.

jack vines

I like it better than the knob on my old BMW i3 and the stalk on my Model S. It's more intuitive and easier for a new driver to use. But I agree that one would get used to a different interface quickly.

PackardV8 said:
GM, like all auto manufacturers does their market research and consumer preference panels. Anything that's in there, it's because a majority of the numbnuts consumers said they prefer it that way.

jack vines

I do often wonder about these panels. The Bolt has a bunch of compromises that seem to have come from such panels.

EV enthusiasts complained that "affordable" EVs are dogs to drive. So Chevy put an autocross racer in charge of the team, and now we have tight/uncomfortable seats and a drum-tight suspension.

EV enthusiasts said that the top three concerns were range, range, and range. So we have a $40k car with a huge range, but the interior fit/finish of a sub-$20k economy compact.

I'm sure there are other brilliant insights that came out of those panels. But the irony is that the Bolt is supposed to appeal to a whole new audience, not just appease the ones who are already sold on EVs.

BTW, it's a bit much to refer to people as "numbnuts" just because they have different opinions/priorities than you.

ScooterCT said:
The steering column is actually a standard historical location for shift levers for automatic transmissions - anybody over 60 remembers column shift levers.

Column shifters were used on manual transmission cars as well (e.g. "three on the tree"):
3speed.jpg

chevrolet-nomad-wagon-1957-2.jpg

ScooterCT said:
I've always wondered if putting automatic transmission shift levers between the seats was a marketing ruse to make males feel less emasculated by the fact the car was shifting for them. We get to rest our hand on the shift knob, fantasize we're shifting, and hum Ferrari exhaust notes as we accelerate (when we're alone). Can't do that with a column or dashboard shift knob.

Possibly, although if a car was offered with both manual and automatic transmissions, it may have required fewer unique parts when both shifters were in the same location. When front bench seats went out of fashion, that reduced one of the advantages of column shifters. The windshield wiper and washer control also become more commonly placed on the right side of the column as well. So the floor shifter became typical, even with automatic-only cars.

boltage said:
Possibly, although if a car was offered with both manual and automatic transmissions, it may have required fewer unique parts when both shifters were in the same location. When front bench seats went out of fashion, that reduced one of the advantages of column shifters. The windshield wiper and washer control also become more commonly placed on the right side of the column as well. So the floor shifter became typical, even with automatic-only cars.

Interesting observation. Come to think of it, I had a '93 Dodge Spirit (awful car, BTW), with a front bench seat and a column shifter. It's the only car I've ever owned with a column shifter.

ScooterCT said:
feel less emasculated by the fact the car was shifting for them. We get to rest our hand on the shift knob, fantasize we're shifting, and hum Ferrari exhaust notes as we accelerate (when we're alone). Can't do that with a column or dashboard shift knob.
When I was growing up even the (American) cars with manual transmissions still had their shift levers on the steering column.

Note that the Bolt's electronic parking brake switch is also mounted on the center console, and the lever action (pull up to turn on the parking brake, push down to release it) mimics the traditional hand operated parking brake lever commonly found on the center console.

2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-shifter.jpg

However, the shifter, although placed in the common location, is slightly less intuitive, to the point that a tag with instructions is put on the shifter when a new Bolt is delivered.

Lots of cars -- both auto and manual -- have historically had the shifter located "in the middle" of the floor -- including current and past BMWs, Corvettes, Cameros, Challengers, Mustangs etc -- going all the way back to the muscle cars of the 60's and even farther back to the Model T or A in the 20's.

Most manual stick shift transmissions are "on the floor" in the middle which is the simplest approach since the shifter sits directly over the transmission.

The manual "3 on the tree" opened up room on the floor but it was an older and more complex shifting design that was quickly replaced when the automatic transmission w/a column mounted shifter became a viable option, which totally eliminated any obstructions on the floor. My F250 has such a shifter.

I also remember certain older vehicles with dash mounted tab shifters like the ones you find in older Priuses. These also opened up floor space but car makers still manage to clutter up that space with other things anyway. However, later Priuses eventually included center console mounted shifters as well.

Some people have even retrofitted Priuses w/push button shifting controls (which were used in various cars during the 50's/60's; mainly Dodge/Chrysler if I recall) to replace the center mounted "stick" shifting knob.

The point is that the shifter "in the middle" has been a pretty standard design feature in most cars built for at least the past 50 years and there are not too many cars that you can buy/lease w/o such an arrangement.

So, I'm not sure what the OP is complaining about other than the Bolt isn't like a Tesla.

http://wardsauto.com/technology/gmc-terrain-says-bye-bye-gear-shifter

Interesting article on moving shift controls. It raises the whole safety question.

Back