Interesting Observation

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

The following has happened to me a couple of times now and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

There is a stretch of road from Concord to Antioch on Hwy 4 that rises steeply from where Hwy 242 merges w/Hwy 4 up to the top of a hill at Willow Pass Road which declines slightly towards Bay Point in a short section and then flattens out all the way out to the 2nd Lone Tree exit in Antioch. Total distance from the top of the hill to the 2nd Lone Tree exit is about 16 miles.

On a couple of occasions, after topping the hill, I've increased my speed to 93mph to pass other cars on the short down slope and then backed off to 80-85 (my normal driving speed) for the remaining distance in the long flat section. BTW, I always drive in L; whether on the streets or the freeway

When I back off the accelerator, the battery condition bar on the left side of the screen turns green an STAYS green for the entire 16 miles from Bay Point to the 2nd Lone Tree exit and my estimated mileage figure only drops 1-2 miles at the end of the 16 mile stretch, which I think means that I gained about 14-15 miles of estimated range, even though I still had to use about 10-20kwh to maintain my speed at 80-85.

Average m/kwh also INCREASED from 3.1 to 3.3 and my total estimated range from the start (when the car was fully charged) to the end to the trip went up from about 190 to 198 (148 remaining after 50 miles traveled).

Normally, my total estimated range would drop to around 180 (130 remaining after 50 miles traveled) from 190 after such a trip. This would occur when I do NOT speed up to 93 on the down slope to pass anyone and just maintain a constant 80-85 throughout.

The next time I drive this stretch of road and do the same thing, I'm going to try to pay closer attention to the speed, distance and mileage readings. In the meantime, has this kind of thing happened to anyone else and can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Could speeding up to 93 (topping out at the limiter) on the down slope cause some kind of long lasting regen effect? Just wondering . . .

#1 it is a software glitch

#2 you are a F-ing idiot. No where in the USA is it safe or legal to pass someone at 93 mph. You have just admitted to committing a felony. Your IP address that you frequently post from has been recorded and authorities will be tracking you down.

Also, thanks for posting the exact stretch of road you do this on, and the exact car you drive.

FYI you are NOT allowed to break the speed limit to pass someone. Thus, as annyoing as it may be to you, it is illegal to pass someone doing 55 mph on a 55 mph road. Sure, most cops will give you +5 to +10 mph of leeway. +11 mph gets you a costly ticket. +25 mph becomes a felony and gets you jail time.

Felony?

Best I could find is this reference, but that only shows a speeding offense that also included another infraction: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/felony-traffic-offenses.html

Otherwise, just because it is ticket-able doesn't make it a felony. Sometimes not even immoral. (Like protests.)

I came from a more strict state.
Shockingly, CA is one of the more lienient states regarding speeding.

It can be elevated to felony if bodily harm or property damage comes from your speeding, you are a multiple offender, you are going more than 35 mph over the posted limit, you are going 100 mph or more.

Some states go medieval on your ass if you are 15 mph over the limit, or exceed 80 mph at any time.

gpsman said:
#1 it is a software glitch

#2 you are a F-ing idiot. No where in the USA is it safe or legal to pass someone at 93 mph. You have just admitted to committing a felony. Your IP address that you frequently post from has been recorded and authorities will be tracking you down.

Also, thanks for posting the exact stretch of road you do this on, and the exact car you drive.

FYI you are NOT allowed to break the speed limit to pass someone. Thus, as annyoing as it may be to you, it is illegal to pass someone doing 55 mph on a 55 mph road. Sure, most cops will give you +5 to +10 mph of leeway. +11 mph gets you a costly ticket. +25 mph becomes a felony and gets you jail time.

LOL!

Even though I have been accused of hypermiling, I dare not post what my averages are. I'll just say this car drives like a bat out of hell. :D

Don't lynch me!

gbobman said:
Even though I have been accused of hypermiling, I dare not post what my averages are. I'll just say this car drives like a bat out of hell. :D

Don't lynch me!

As a recovering hypermiler, I can spot one a mile away. Anyone that posts 285 miles / 4.75 miles/kWh in cold winter conditions as "real world" is in denial they have a problem. Only the love and support from my family and friends allowed me to finally overcome that terrible disease.

Back