Palm Springs to Phoenix

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyps

Driving from Palm Springs to Phoenix means you get to experience the joy of passing 3 separate Tesla Supercharger stations while hoping you can do the 220+ freeway miles between the two closest L2 charging stations.

I started off fully charged and with the advantage of living only 7 miles west of the easternmost L2 charging station in the Coachella Valley (which is a dual J1772 at 82-995 Hwy 111, Indio, CA 92201). 220 miles away is the next available L2 charging station at the Verrado Coffee Company in Buckeye, AZ. In between, there are 3 Tesla Supercharger stations and a scattering of RV parks. I made up a 14-50 adapter for my garage mounted 20A Clipper Creek EVSE and packed them along just in case. The Cove RV Park in Blythe, from reports, is EV friendly and if my range wasn't looking good I was planning on spending an hour or so there getting some extra juice.

As a side note, there are 3 DCFC stations that have been supposedly funded for quite some time between Indio and Arizona. One in Chiraco Summit and two locations in Blythe. I stopped by all three locations to see if any progress was being made and there was no sign that anything had been done. In 2014 there had also been an L2 charger funded for the Lake Tamarisk library in Desert Center, that had never been built either.

Back to the trip, off we started, up the big hill out of the Coachella Valley to Chiraco Summit and then the long barren stretch between there and Blythe. I kept my speed down to 60mph with the goal of exceeding 4 miles/kWh to make it to Verrado with some range to spare. There are plenty of slower trucks on I-10 so I was able to manage the slower speed without impeding traffic but it made for a long trip. Any Tesla owners would have been able to take advantage of the charging station in Indio before heading east, everyone else has to settle for spending some time at an L2 station to get topped up.

Other than the big climb to start we quickly got over my 4 mile/kWh goal and by the time we got to Blythe I had enough margin to take a bathroom break and check for signs of a DCFC under construction at the Red Roof Inn and and newer hotel further east where the two DCFC stations were supposedly funded to be built. No signs of anything charging station related at either location. We zipped past the Cove RV park which is on the south side of I-10 just as you get to the Colorado river.

Once on the Arizona side the speed limit goes up to 75mph but I stuck with the right lane, 60 mph and the slower truck traffic. Quartzite was next up, home to another Tesla Supercharger station but other than some mostly vacant (in the summer) RV parks that may or may not be interested in charging EV owners $$$ for the pleasure of spending an hour or two charging at 6kW or so there is nothing for non-Tesla owners.

After spending nearly 4 hours driving at 60mph instead of closer to 3 hours at 75 we pulled into the Verrado Coffee parking lot with about 35 miles of range showing. Enough to maybe make it to a DCFC station in the Phoenix area but a good place to stop and get a bit of margin. Great place to stop BTW, two Chargepoint chargers (free) that charged at 6kw. Nice grassy dog park adjacent to the parking lot and a roomy coffee shop with outlets for laptops, WiFI and comfortable places to sit.

If you are a Tesla owner you could have pulled into the Buckeye Superchargers a few miles away and charged at 100kW+ instead of 6kW, assuming you didn't charge up in Quartzite instead.

After about 45 minutes we continued on to a DCFC station at the Arizona Mills mall. An evGO station that wouldn't read our RFID card so we had to spend 10 minutes in the blazing sun getting a rep to start the charge remotely. We went in the mall to stay cool and set a timer for 30 minutes, of course you can't get more than a 30 minute charge in one shot at evgo and we really needed an hour. Not wanting to bother calling again to get the charging station remotely started again we settled for the 30 minutes and continued on to Chandler Fashion Square where we hooked up to a free L2 for about an hour while we had lunch. There is a DCFC station there as well but with that same 30 minute limit I didn't want to have to cut my lunch short to go move my car. evGo are the devils for their 30 minute limit.

We'll be heading back to the Palm Springs area in a few days, it will involve spending a couple of hours at some combination of evGO fast charge stations and L2 stations and a final hour or two sitting at a coffee shop in Buckeye getting topped off before crossing our fingers and hoping we can make it back to Palm Springs.

It's not a trip I am likely to want to repeat in a Bolt, looking forward to getting my Model 3 and making the same trip in hours less time and zero hassle. At this point it wouldn't even matter if they put the 2 DCFC ports at Chiraco Summit and 2 more in Blythe. More than a handful of EV's trying to make the trip and relying on them would saturate them.

Long distance travel in a Bolt is certainly possible but it requires a lot more planning and attention that 95% of drivers care for.

Oh, I had to stick a pillow behind my back to keep the seatback "wings" from painfully poking me in the back. Simply too narrow for my skeletal structure. The seat fits my wife fine but GM needs to fire whoever signed off on the dimensions of the seat.

On long distance drives, I am happy to drive in the right lane in "L" with the cruise control set to the "flow of traffic" of trucks here in California; usually 55-60MPH, giving me consistently good MPH above the stated 230 on a flat drive.

I know the Phoenix - Palm Springs route well. Similar to what another member wrote in a "Not ready for prime time" thread about a trip from hell between LA - Vegas, The OP illustrates the challenges of making a trip like this in a 200 mile EV with or without available DCFC. Though some of us choose to ignore the realities of intermediate distance travel with an EV, threads like this shed light on it. In the real-world, It ain't easy to do.

To me, this sentence sums it up:

"After spending nearly 4 hours driving at 60mph instead of closer to 3 hours at 75 we pulled into the Verrado Coffee parking lot with about 35 miles of range showing. Enough to maybe make it to a DCFC station in the Phoenix area but a good place to stop and get a bit of margin."

4 hours watching the back of a semi at 60mph, while everyone else whizzes by at 80+, and wondering if you can make it to the next DCFC. Sound like great fun, doesn't it?

I'm sure others will chime in with the ever so helpful "You're not using the right tool for the job" comment. What if you have only one tool? In Phoenix, we only have one car, so it has to perform like a swiss army knife - and it does. With our VW, we easily make the above 540 mile round trip, at 80+ mph, with fuel to spare. The above example / science experiment is one of the biggest reasons an EV isn't sitting in our Arizona garage.

oilerlord said:
I'm sure others will chime in with the ever so helpful "You're not using the right tool for the job" comment. What if you have only one tool? In Phoenix, we only have one car, so it has to perform like a swiss army knife - and it does. With our VW, we easily make the above 540 mile round trip, at 80+ mph, with fuel to spare. The above example / science experiment is one of the biggest reasons an EV isn't sitting in our Arizona garage.

A better tool would be a plug in hybrid, such as a Volt. Or a faster charging with more charging options EV like a Tesla.

Your VW is only better as you don't pay for the harm it causes.

oilerlord said:
4 hours watching the back of a semi at 60mph, while everyone else whizzes by at 80+, and wondering if you can make it to the next DCFC. Sound like great fun, doesn't it?
That's the way I drive anyway, just to save on gas. Last fall I drove from Vancouver to Key West in Florida and back just like that - at the slower speed I was able to relax and enjoy the trip.

WetEV said:
A better tool would be a plug in hybrid, such as a Volt. Or a faster charging with more charging options EV like a Tesla.

Your VW is only better as you don't pay for the harm it causes.

In terms of comparing a 540-mile return highway road trip between the two cars, burning more fossil fuel in a Volt and the release of significantly higher amounts of VOCs in gasoline vs diesel per gallon - isn't exactly a win for the environment. Pick your poison.

SeanNelson said:
That's the way I drive anyway, just to save on gas. Last fall I drove from Vancouver to Key West in Florida and back just like that - at the slower speed I was able to relax and enjoy the trip.

Sean, while I'm sure there were countless points of interest on your road trip, there's nothing to "enjoy" on the trip between Phoenix and Palm Springs.

How about do what I do when I make any long distance drive: listen to my satellite radio and enjoy myself! the whole way!!

Don't have satellite radio? Listen to Pandora on Apple CarPlay!

You'd be surprised how the time flies!

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:
Sean, while I'm sure there were countless points of interest on your road trip, there's nothing to "enjoy" on the trip between Phoenix and Palm Springs.
I found it interesting, probably because my normal abode is the rainforest of the west coast mountains, so the barren desert and the flora that scrabble to survive there seem novel to me. I was amazed to see "watch for deer" hazard signs in the middle of the desert - how on earth do they make a go of it?

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:

It's a slightly different travel mindset, for sure. I have to say in my 1200 mile July 4th trip, the breaks were nice, although I was "spoiled" by DCFC units all up and down the 99. And as for those breaks, as long as they happen in halfway decent places, they're probably pretty healthy for you, mentally and physically. I know my kids REALLY appreciated the break, and people with dogs would appreciate it too - And to address the sarcastic "countless points of interest" comment, there are actually neat things to see, especially if you get off the interstate. It happens. I recall one particular trip from Jacksonville to Austin, where I said "We have time - Let's not take the highway. " It was a good decision at the time.

I think the point that I'm making is that driving in an EV and taking in the landscape, sights, and people, and not getting A to B at the fastest speed possible, might be a new opportunity to regain something lost, like a golden age of road tripping and giving up on the immediate gratification and constant connectivity we have. Maybe it's an opportunity to slow down and enjoy . I know this is probably a lot more romantic than most would care for, but the idea of being stuck at a coffee shop in a small town for a few hours might not be the worst thing in the world for your mental health. Or your toddler, or your dog.

Or just write me off as a weird hippie and fly next time.

Pigwich said:
It's a slightly different travel mindset, for sure. I have to say in my 1200 mile July 4th trip, the breaks were nice, although I was "spoiled" by DCFC units all up and down the 99. And as for those breaks, as long as they happen in halfway decent places, they're probably pretty healthy for you, mentally and physically. I know my kids REALLY appreciated the break, and people with dogs would appreciate it too - And to address the sarcastic "countless points of interest" comment, there are actually neat things to see, especially if you get off the interstate. It happens. I recall one particular trip from Jacksonville to Austin, where I said "We have time - Let's not take the highway. " It was a good decision at the time.

I think the point that I'm making is that driving in an EV and taking in the landscape, sights, and people, and not getting A to B at the fastest speed possible, might be a new opportunity to regain something lost, like a golden age of road tripping and giving up on the immediate gratification and constant connectivity we have. Maybe it's an opportunity to slow down and enjoy . I know this is probably a lot more romantic than most would care for, but the idea of being stuck at a coffee shop in a small town for a few hours might not be the worst thing in the world for your mental health. Or your toddler, or your dog.

Or just write me off as a weird hippie and fly next time.

Weird hippies drive VW's too. This isn't about "mindset".

I get the comment about stopping for breaks, kids, dogs, coffee, it's the journey / not the destination, smelling the roses, etc. I've never advocated driving for very long periods without a break. The point is, and as the OP has illustrated...on a 270 mile drive, you may not want to take a break, or drive 60 instead of 80, but his EV forced him to. By design.

I'd also rather drive during the day and not at night, or be forced to lay up in a hotel room because L2 charging is all that's available in a certain area. Want to stop for the kids, or the dog, or for the night? Fine. YOU should be the one making that choice - not the car. To me, most of these "My EV road trip" threads read like science experiments...not carefree road trip vacations.

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic. A drive between Vancouver and Key West does have (virtually) countless points of interest. The drive between Phoenix - Palm Springs is a barren wasteland. Deserts have their own beauty, that area - doesn't.

Pigwich said:
...driving in an EV and taking in the landscape, sights, and people, and not getting A to B at the fastest speed possible, might be a new opportunity to regain something lost, like a golden age of road tripping ... the idea of being stuck at a coffee shop in a small town for a few hours might not be the worst thing in the world for your mental health. Or your toddler, or your dog.
It helps a lot to be retired and in no particular hurry. ;)

Total miles driven on our 3 day R/T to Phoenix, 849. Return required 90 minutes at an evgo fast charger at Arrowhead mall to get us to 91% then a drive to the Verrado Coffee Company where we were going to top up with a two hour L2 charge

The coffee shop closes at 6pm so we had a choice of sitting in the heat with our dogs at the dog park after they closed or in the car w the AC running. We braved the heat till the car got to 95% and then day it n the car. With the AC running and the car running conditioning we saw the 6kW charge only putting 0 to 4kW into the battery. After getting to 97% and a range est of 236 we decided to leave. 220 miles to the next charger or 230 to our house.

I got behind a semi doing 62 and we made it to Blythe averaging 5.1 mi/kWh

That built up enough margin we knew we could make the climb from Blythe to Chiraco Summit so we took a food/bathroom break while leaving the car on to keep the dogs cool (it was dark and we had eyes on them and the car so they were fine)

Making the climb dropped our average mi/kWh but we made it home averaging 4.8 and an indicated 17% SOC

If we had a 240V outlet at home in Phoenix we could have fully charged overnight, skipped the evgo chargers and done a 1 hour charge in Verrado and made it home with careful driving.

It was nice to know we could make the trip but I won't be inclined to try it again in the Bolt.

Take aways, it takes too long to charge the Bolt, even at fast chargers, on a road trip and I10 to Phoenix has a complete lack of EV charging infrastructure (other than Tesla's).

sparkyps said:
It was nice to know we could make the trip but I won't be inclined to try it again in the Bolt.

Take aways, it takes too long to charge the Bolt, even at fast chargers, on a road trip and I10 to Phoenix has a complete lack of EV charging infrastructure (other than Tesla's).

Agreed. Even though you can...common sense asks if you should. Perhaps one day there will be a vast network network of DCFC charging stations, and Bolt v2.0 might charge at 150 kW. Until then...? You've made the point. Thanks for posting your experience.

sparkyps said:
If we had a 240V outlet at home in Phoenix we could have fully charged overnight, skipped the evgo chargers and done a 1 hour charge in Verrado and made it home with careful driving.
Installing a 240v outlet at the main circuit box is not as expensive as you might think and with an appropriate extension cord, doable for use in Phoenix.

One hour stops at DCFC's every 200 miles aren't really that burdensome when you consider that you need to use the facilities and get something to eat anyway.

That was my experience in Victorville when I drove to Las Vegas!

I feel your pain on a trip between Palm Springs and Phoenix! You should read my 2600 mile trip up to Oregon and Back with 4 or 5 mini-day trips thrown in, the subject is "Our 2600 mile CA to OR Trip in our 2017 Bolt". Unfortunately, you did a trip in one of only 3 areas that not only have no fast chargers for regular folks (yes, that is a knock at Tesla for not adding regular fast chargers at their locations), but also finding Level 2 chargers can even be a challenge. At least my trip up to Oregon had fast chargers all the way. And Yes, where are these supposed Fast Chargers on these routes? The map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1VEJLK0-wcAhWV8Q0MirTLULd5mg&ll=37.81957353741533%2C-119.38891739999997&z=7 claims they should be there soon, but when is soon? You can barely reach Vegas, nearly impossible to reach Needles/Laughlin on the I-40 (what the hell Barstow? A pretty big city and still no real Level 2 or Fast Chargers to speak of, except one of the supposed ones to be installed at McDonald's, whenever that is) and you can't reach Mammoth because there are no chargers period on the 395, except for Tesla. Everywhere else in California has Fast Chargers, except mysteriously, the stretch on I-5 between Bakersfield and Stockton, that is why you have to take the 99 through Fresno on that part, where you can't even sneeze without passing one :) (Good job guys on that corridor BTW!)
Funny thing was that we met another Bolt coming up from California to Oregon and he was oddly driving at 60MPH and charging at every fast charger for some odd reason, he seemed to be paranoid about them not working, so he stopped every 50 miles to use each one. At least you were doing it because there were no chargers, or just Level 2 chargers in between. I tried to tell him it wasn't saving him any time, because the last 20% of the charge goes the slowest, but he didn't seem to want to listen.
We really need the fast chargers in place in the Mammoth 395, Vegas I-15 and Needles I-40 areas, and we need them to be 80KW Fast Chargers, or at least the 50KW ones. If Tesla really wanted to speed the adoption of electric cars, they would add at least two regular fast charging 80-100KW stations at every supercharger, even if they charge us $10 to use them! Gas stations are also slow to add them, but some are catching on and have added them in several areas. And YES! EVgo is both a nightmare and a blessing, almost all of their fast charging stations are 50KW, but their inane 30 minute limit with no app to restart charging leaves you in a bad situation most of the time, you have to leave the place you are eating or shopping to rush over and start it again every 30 minutes! Not always easy, you can be up to 1/4, 1/3 or even 1/2 mile away from the charger depending upon the place you choose to eat or shop! That means you must head over there after being gone after only 20 minutes to make it there in time to start it for the next 30 minute charge :( SHAME ON YOU EVgo!

stephmipar said:
EVgo is both a nightmare and a blessing, almost all of their fast charging stations are 50KW, but their inane 30 minute limit with no app to restart charging leaves you in a bad situation most of the time, you have to leave the place you are eating or shopping to rush over and start it again every 30 minutes! Not always easy, you can be up to 1/4, 1/3 or even 1/2 mile away from the charger depending upon the place you choose to eat or shop! That means you must head over there after being gone after only 20 minutes to make it there in time to start it for the next 30 minute charge :( SHAME ON YOU EVgo!
Perhaps you are not aware that EVGo is subsidized by Nissan and BMW so their 30 minute timer is a feature and not a bug! They don't want long range EVs like the Bolt EV keeping their "friends" from getting access! Nissan Leaf's actually get to charge there for free!

At least, unlike Tesla, they let us share their charging infrastructure; so send them a thank you note next chance you get!

If you look for my Test Drive LA to Las Vegas thread in the Batteries and Charging section http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6876&start=10#p23563, you will see my instructions on how to achieve "remote recharging" on EVGo's that do not have the Start/Stop buttons while I was enjoying a chilly beverage and finishing my burger at the Red Robin in the Victorville Mall for my second 30 minutes of charging!

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention!

Back