Difficulty getting into reverse - first time - every time

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer731

I have been enjoying my new new Bolt for a month. Absolutely love it - a great car and great technology. One minor problem: 50% of the time I need to shift into reverse multiple times before reverse actually engages. Mostly it takes two or three attempts and rarely four attempts to actually get into reverse. Of course the two times I have taken the car into the dealer - the behavior is strangely absent. They can do nothing if the problem is intermittent and cannot be reproduced.

Is there anyone out there who is, or has, experienced the same problem? I would love to hear your experience.

Thanks,

Engineer731

I seem to have issues with the timing of the detection of the button press. I noticed that if you try to quickly shift to reverse it has difficulty. If I wait half beat after holding the button, it has less of an issue.

I notice that with all buttons actually.

The computer requires the button to be pressed for a continuous amount of time before it allows the shift. Not sure what the limit is, probably .3 to .5 sec. Press the button, pause 1 sec, then shift. Works every time.

You are absolutely correct. I have taken your advice - push button, wait 1 sec, shift - now goes in first time every time. I should have realized that. I do batch file programming all the time and I need to build in wait times to let the computer cpu catch up enough to process the next command without flushing the buffer.

Thank you very much.

Back