No more glare from trim above main screen!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetondoc

Ever been blinded by glare from the chrome trim above the display on your Bolt? I applied 3M DiNoc carbon fiber vinyl to the trim piece yesterday = no more glare! Looks great, matches the interior of the car well. Total cost was about $10 in materials off Amazon.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Covered it in place. I used the 3M primer to coat the edges of the chrome piece so the vinyl would stick better (primer didn't seem to leave any noticeable stain or residue on the chrome when it dried, almost more of a cleaner than a primer). Then used blow drier to heat the vinyl and a v shaped plastic wedge to press vinyl into the gap between chrome and the rest of dash. Then just trimmed vinyl with an exacto using the edge of the chrome trim piece as my guide. The primer "pens" and applicator tools are available as a kit on Amazon. Easy-peasy!

That is an amazing stupid place for the stylists to have put a reflective piece of chrome. I've bought some black 1-1/2" vinyl electrical tape to do the job.

I was also blinded the other day by the edge of the Chevy logo on the steering wheel... just sayin'

That looks great.

Has anyone talked to a shop that does custom interiors about removing the chrome interior piece, painting and re-installing? I haven't been able to find anyone in my area yet.

Just exploring the options.

Everyone I've seen that wraps dashboard trim always removes the piece before wrapping it, but I have no idea how to remove this piece without possibly breaking it.

My biggest complaint about the screen is that in bright conditions, the screen is hard to read. Would be nice if there was a retractible hood that could block the sun from hitting the screen. Not just the Bolt, but just about any car with a large touchscreen near the top of the center console.

I got tired of the sun reflecting off the chrome strip above the center screen shining in my face (what was Chevy smoking?). I did the same thing as the OP and it looks great.

2018-09-23%2016.23.09.jpg

Back