Passenger cannot open Trunk

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamaest

I was dropping off a friend in my Bolt the other day and they had to get their bag out of the trunk. I was stopped in a busy street so i had to stay ready to drive. I noticed the Bolt seems to have no way of having a passenger open the trunk if the driver is seated.

I had to physically get our of the driver's seat and walk to the back with the fob to enable the trunk button to respond. If I left the car on when I hopped out, the car horn would honk at me; and to avoid this I would have to turn the car off, on a busy street with traffic.

Although this is not a major issue, it would be nice for GM to have included a trunk release button in the front dash or on the fob. Hmmmm.

It also annoying for secure facilities since they can't inspect without you getting out of the car to assist them.

No, the unlock button does not work. Though the Owner's Manual says it will unlock the hatch, in fact it does not.

What you need to do is shift the car into P. Then the hatch can be opened.

It's just one more example of modern car technology annoying you with overprotective nannying. But a pretty minor annoyance in the scheme of things. Once you learn how to unlock the trunk, that is - I also found it frustrating before figuring out it wanted you to shift before opening the hatch.

Interesting - on my Bolt the Unlock button on the door does indeed unlock the hatch along with the four doors.
I do this when I'm in P, and it works as expected.

EldRick said:
Interesting - on my Bolt the Unlock button on the door does indeed unlock the hatch along with the four doors.
I do this when I'm in P, and it works as expected.

Are you sure? The doors - all 5 of them - unlock automatically as soon as I shift into P. There is then no need to press Unlock, and if I do, nothing happens as the doors are already unlocked. I'd be surprised if other Bolts are made differently.

When I shift into P, only the drivers door unlocks. Hit the Unlock, and they all do.
Note: the hatch does not Open, just unlocks - you still have to press the button, but don't need the fob.
I do seem to recall that there is a setting for this - RYFM.

EldRick said:
When I shift into P, only the drivers door unlocks. Hit the Unlock, and they all do.
Note: the hatch does not Open, just unlocks - you still have to press the button, but don't need the fob.
I do seem to recall that there is a setting for this - RYFM.

Right you are, it's under Vehicle Personalization, p144 of the Manual.

So, regardless of what your setting is for this, it IS possible for passengers to open the hatch without a key. Driver just needs to shift to P, and maybe also hit the Unlock button.

EldRick said:
The doors - all 5 of them - unlock automatically as soon as I shift into P.
I would not want that to happen in quite a few places where I might park.

I don't park in places like that. :)

This is why it's nice to have things configurable. I stop/park mainly at my son's school and my home and office and airport. It would drive me nuts to have a two-step process (shift, unlock) to let my kid out of the car 3 times a day.

Back