Front License Plate?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1621

Possible future Bolt owner here.

Did you get yours with the big ugly front license plate holder?

Or without?

If without, did you specifically asked dealership to exclude the front install entirely so that the front end is absolutely clean without any sign of mounting holes left from mere removal of a pre-mount?

What's the skinny on this?

You get it by default if your state issues and requires display of front license plates.

I have the front license plate mount, but have not yet installed it.
It does look really clean without it.

I am doing the "Steve Jobs" procedure and keeping the plates (my old vanity plates from my Volt days) in the trunk!

It's required in CA but enforcement is inconsistent.

I leased a Dodge RAM SRT10 pickup for 3 years. Never bothered to install the front plate and never got stopped or ticketed for it.

However, I have read stories told by many BMW owners in CA who have been ticketed for driving sans front plate.

What many BMW owners do is install one of those tow ring plate mounts that they can remove at will w/o the need to drill holes in the front bumper to install the license plate frame.

In fact, someone on this forum was talking about doing the same thing.

Doesn't bother me and all 5 of my vehicles have the front license plate installed as required in my state.

OP here. I'm in CA.

And yayyy — just drove back this afternoon with my new Bolt Premier in silver color!

Also took delivery with it unblemished up front with not even holes for license plate frame. I'll just try to avoid getting into situations where police might ticket me.

avmhYdM.jpg

veryken said:
OP here. I'm in CA.
The rule in CA is six months. Take full advantage of it! Keep your Bolt EV washed clean for that "new" look and the dealer VIN sticker in the window.

I carry my plates in the trunk.

NeilBlanchard said:
Is it legal to put on the dash, at the bottom of the windshield?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&division=3.&title=&part=&chapter=1.&article=9. covers the display of license plates in California.

California Vehicle Code said:
5200 (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

5201 (a) License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

[exceptions that apply to some types of large trucks]

(b) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

Presumably it depends on whether a license plate on the dash is considered attached to the front of the vehicle in 5200(a), and whether the windshield is viewed as an illegal covering in 5201(b).

boltage said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Is it legal to put on the dash, at the bottom of the windshield?

California Vehicle Code said:
5200 (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
.... shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright
Laying it on the dash =
not attached to the vehicle
not clearly visible (particularly at night)
characters are not upright

If a LEO is going to hassle you about not having a front plate, having it laying it on the dash isn't likely to help.

If you had it securely attached behind the windshield with the characters upright and facing forward (perpendicular to the ground), you might successfully challenge a ticket in court. Or maybe not.

Oregon Revised Statute 803.540 requires that the plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle. This has been further litigated in the courts to mean the plates must be placed on the front and rear bumpers of the vehicle and not in the front and rear windows. Don't know in CA, but....

As noted previously, in CA, the applicable vehicle code is 5200.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is that the current fine for violating this law is $197 reduced to $25 if correctable.

A violation is NOT eligible for correction "if the officer determines that the violation presents an immediate safety hazard, there is evidence of fraud or persistent neglect, or the violator does not agree to, or cannot, promptly correct the violation."

See pages 4 and 35 of the following bail schedule published by the Ca Judicial Council: CA Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedules - 2017 Edition

I've never gotten a ticket for this but it's mentioned on in some forums that there's a box on the ticket that the officer has to check to indicaate whether the ticket is correctable or not.

If it is NOT checked, you will have to pay the $197 but you can argue in court that the fine should be reduced to $25 if you think you have the grounds to do so.

I told the sales man 3 or 4 time not to install front plate. They did it. Said it was a mix up. Then I posted on forums and everyone's like it's California and it's the law. Right. I have not had front plates in 40 years and had 2 fix it tickets.

Forman said:
I told the sales man 3 or 4 time not to install front plate. They did it. Said it was a mix up. Then I posted on forums and everyone's like it's California and it's the law. Right. I have not had front plates in 40 years and had 2 fix it tickets.
Just curious: how did you have plates at the time of purchase?

I believe California law has a 6 month grace period.

I am in my 8th month, about to be 9th month, without plates mounted; with my old Volt vanity plates in the trunk!

From the DMV web site:

How long is the Purchaser's Temporary Operating Copy valid?

The permit the dealer provides for display on the passenger side of the front window is valid until the plates and stickers are received by the customer, or for 90 days from the sale date, whichever comes first.

So you are in violation.

That said, unless you get pulled over, you can drive that way, together with many others FOREVER without license plate. Go through red lights, drive in the toll lanes, anything.

The law was recently changed to require temporary plates with displayed expiration dates, but this doesn't kick in to 2019 for some unknown reason.

The neighborhood traffic nazi down my street has been driving with "Penske Cadillac" license plates on her Escalade for over two years. I hate her! She does whatever she wants with her car with impunity.

michael said:
... or for 90 days from the sale date, whichever comes first.
[/i]
So you are in violation.

That said, unless you get pulled over, you can drive that way, together with many others FOREVER without license plate. Go through red lights, drive in the toll lanes, anything....
You are correct; the law was changed from 6 months to 90 days and I had not done the requisite research.

I was working off the old Steve Jobs anecdote: He would get a new leased car every six months so that he would not have to put plates on his vehicle!

That being said, you need not disparage my driving skills:

I have a transducer, so I am legal in the toll lanes; thank you very much! Red light camera's, I did attempt to challenge as unconstitutional but was rebuffed when the California Supreme Court ruled to the contrary! Times have changed from the 70s when I was able to successfully challenge speeding tickets on the basis that the 55 MPH federal speed limit was unconstitutional! hahahaha :lol:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.57.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.57.35 AM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 7,095
My apologies, that was not a personal remark...what I meant to say is ONE can break a bunch of laws, not YOU...

However my comments on the neighborhood traffic Nazi apply. She lobbied, for example, to restrict turns onto the street where she lives (describes it as "MY street" ) which is an inconvenience to many in the neighborhood, but she herself several times daily makes that very turn because it's more convenient for her ("and this is MY STREET. I can do whatever I want...) I do think that sort of action is linked to the concept of immunity from many traffic laws that she gets because she doesn't have license plates. And that ONE gets from flaunting the license plate display laws that most of the rest of us obey.

Get her cited for not having plates after the "grace period!"

I am attempting to do the same thing on a particularly nasty person* who parks in front of my place, so they can walk to the block to work!

*We have a "history" so that the apparent hypocrisy is more complicated than it seems!

Well, in my case, there is "street cleaning" on Thursday and Friday and I am attempting to catch a day when both of them are present (the meter maid and the offender) and point out to the meter maid that the offending car has been parking here without plates for the last year!

I assume that she can look up the VIN and see that it is overdue for plates.

My Bolt EV is nicely garaged and charging... :lol:

Back