New owner...Looking for some hitch info ..

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

New Bolt EV owner as of last night. Loving the car so far. Have a quick question. I notice there is a Curt Hitch avaliable on amazon and was wondering if anyone has install it yet. Wanted to know if we need to cut the bumper to fit the hitch. I am excited to mount my bike rack for some beach riding fun with the fun.

Looks like I need a reading lesson. Cutting of bumper is required according to Curt instrtuctions. Anyone know of a hitch that does not require cutting the bumper cover?

Aren't there bike carriers that you can use that do not require a hitch or is the reason you're asking because you already have a hitch type carrier?

FWIW, I have a hitch carrier that I use w/my truck but if I wanted to carry a bike w/my Bolt, I'd just drop the seats and throwit inside or buy a rooftop carrier for it instead.

banshee08 said:
Looks like I need a reading lesson. Cutting of bumper is required according to Curt instrtuctions. Anyone know of a hitch that does not require cutting the bumper cover?
All the hitches that I'm aware of require cutting the bottom part of the cover, including the Torklift EcoHitch that's my favourite. The only way to avoid cutting the bottom of the cover would be to design a hitch that routes itself around underneath it, but that would reduce ground clearance, probably be mechanically weaker, and more expensive. I think you're going to have to resign yourself to that cutout.

There’s a bunch of info about hitches. Some of us who bought the Curt hitch ended up replacing it with the Drawtite hitch.

I think GM sells a receiver that hooks right up, no cutting required - I don't think it's rated for towing, but for bike racks or whatever. That said, if you DO tow something, I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger than a couple kayaks or a Snark. But dumber things have been done and nobody died. I mean, look at this clown. Come on.

a4926d01d3a5c88a17d7542a196687ba.jpg

After doing research here (primarily reading tk1971's posts), I have the following setup and are happy with it:
Draw-Tite Hitch Receiver 24956 & Highland 1375100 SportWing Hitch Mounted 2 Bike Carrier

Back