Anyone Else Get Buttonholed Recently?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

So, I was recently buttonholed by 3 different people to talk about my Bolt.

One was a neighbor walking his dog by my driveway where I park the car, another was a Toyota car salesman when I parked to buy a part for my MR2 and another was someone walking by as I parked my car at Costco.

Each expressed great interest in the car. I answered all their questions, let them sit in it and examine the interior but didn't give them any of them a test drive. My neighbor hasn't bought/leased one yet (not that I've seen) and don't know if the others have either but at least people are asking about it.

Just curious. Anyone else have any similar experiences?

sgt1372 said:
So, I was recently buttonholed by 3 different people to talk about my Bolt.

One was a neighbor walking his dog by my driveway where I park the car, another was a Toyota car salesman when I parked to buy a part for my MR2 and another was someone walking by as I parked my car at Costco.

Each expressed great interest in the car. I answered all their questions, let them sit in it and examine the interior but didn't give them any of them a test drive. My neighbor hasn't bought/leased one yet (not that I've seen) and don't know if the others have either but at least people are asking about it.

Just curious. Anyone else have any similar experiences?

I've given at least 10 test rides in my Bolt, even though I've only had it a couple of weeks. Everyone who tried it out was astonished (in a good way) at the experience, and two of them vowed on the spot to get a Bolt of their own.

bluebolt said:
I've given at least 10 test rides in my Bolt, even though I've only had it a couple of weeks. Everyone who tried it out was astonished (in a good way) at the experience, and two of them vowed on the spot to get a Bolt of their own.

alevek said:
All the time. Everyone I let drive it loves it.

That's great!

People asking me about the Bolt have been less frequent -- just the 3 mentioned in the 8 months I've leased my Bolt -- but I don't give off a "come talk to me" kind of vibe.

LOL!

Everyone who has driven or ridden in our Bolt has been very impressed. Since I've been a car guy for sixty years, some friends and relatives are astounded I've given up on the ICE and gone to the Far Side. I still build ICEs for the hobby, but spread the EV gospel to anyone who asks for my opinion.

It's happened a hybrid or ICE owner will approach me and initiate the conversation - sometimes, rather than asking about the Bolt and how I like it, they'll begin an argument against the EV , "They're just not practical for real world use. What if there's an emergency? What if the electric power goes off - what if - what if . . . . ?" It's almost as if they're trying to excuse themselves for not owning an EV.

The humorous aside is several of the above at some point says he's considered an EV but he can't because his wife doesn't trust them. The good news is my wife loves hers as do all of her friends who've ridden in it; probably more of her friends will soon own EVs than will mine.

jack vines

Yes Folks ask me all the time about the Bolt.

Today I took my 1962 Jag out for it's weekly carb exercises. When I came out of the store, a youngster (younger than me) was taking pictures of the Jag. I was amused as this young man was in his twenties. He said he just loved the lines of the car. I told him he had good taste :)

Jeff

JAL1 said:
Today I took my 1962 Jag out for it's weekly carb exercises. When I came out of the store, a youngster (younger than me) was taking pictures of the Jag. I was amused as this young man was in his twenties. He said he just loved the lines of the car. I told him he had good taste :)

Yes, indeed!

I've only owned (actually leased) 1 Jag. It was an XJ6. It was an 1982 Series 3, one of the 1st redesigned and vastly improved versions of the car. Loved the look/smell of it and never had any problems w/it while I had it.

I was practicing law then and also installed one of the 1st mobile phones available in it. :cool:

sgt1372 said:
JAL1 said:

Yes, indeed!

I've only owned (actually leased) 1 Jag. It was an XJ6. It was an 1982 Series 3, one of the 1st redesigned and vastly improved versions of the car. Loved the look/smell of it and never had any problems w/it while I had it.

I was practicing law then and also installed one of the 1st mobile phones available in it. :cool:

That's amusing to me. My uncle used to own a Jag back in the 80s as well. He had the first mobile "car phone" that I had ever seen. It was really cool (but huge, as you know!). Of course, he was in Real Estate in Manhattan, so he could afford these things (and needed to be available even when he was at his other house, on Nantucket). Everyone needs a rich uncle!

alevek said:
All the time. Everyone I let drive it loves it.

Is that because people know what the car is - or that they don't know what it is?

I ask because for me, it's essentially none of the time. Short of getting a personalized license plate something to the effect of "TSLAPWR" to throw out a clue, there are a lot of nondescript small crossovers on the market these days. Other than the "EV" badging, it's not like our non-Tesla cars call much attention to themselves.

I was putting air in my tires one day, and a lady came up to me and said "I like your car". She had no idea it was electric. I suspect that in California, there is widespread interest in EV's, so people pay attention when they recognize them on the road - which may be why people stop you "all of the time" to learn more, and ask you about your experience with the car.

Where I live, EV's are barely on the radar. Nobody really gives a damn.

No, didn't go down that road. I'm not the Ashley Madison type.

Anywhoo...I'm sure the car might get more attention if it was wrapped in green environment / save-the-planet advertising but for me, I'd rather fly under the radar. I'm quite certain that few other drivers on the road recognize I'm driving an EV, and that suits me fine. Back to my previous point, I think the reason others get "buttonholed" is because they live in an area where there is EV awareness, and other drivers (especially in CARB states) recognize them.

I have been queried a couple of times, but I deserve it because before I bought mine,
I chased the 1st Bolt I'd ever seen into a parking lot, parked my TDI behind it, got out
and said, "I'm really sorry to block you in, but I need a couple minutes of your time to have
you tell me all about your electric car." He kindly gushed for 5 minutes on how much he
loved the car, and that was that. :D

Great this is what I will get I bet.

I am the one in the store that people stop and say "do you work here? Can you tell me..."
I don't know why that happens ALL THE TIME to me ! Kinda funny. Sometimes I try to help but do tell them I don't work there.

I am not new to being asked about EV's, I have an i-MiEV and get questions a lot. But more for the ugly small thing that it is.

;) BRING IT ON ! LOVE the 238 miles I can get. No more range anxiety. It wasn't until yesterday when I brought my new Bolt home that I realized just how bad my anxiety was over the i-MiEV.

Back