A cheap fix for the front seats

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm a brand-new Bolt owner, though I almost wasn't, because of the problem of the one-size-definitely-does-not-fit-all seat design in the Bolt. My wife and I test drove the Bolt at three different dealers, trying to make our peace with the seats, and we came very close to deciding that, even though it gets much less range and costs a lot more, the BMW i3 was worth getting, simply because it was more comfortable to sit in as driver and as passenger. But we really liked a lot about the Bolt, and were determined to make it work, and may have come up with a solution that will work for some folks.

For about $50 each, we got two different cushions from ObusForme, a Canadian company I knew about because my mother, a former physiotherapist, used to rely on their equipment in her work. (I have nothing to do with ObusForme, and work in a field that has nothing to do with physical therapy, other than that the sitting all day that I do at my job requires me to go see a PT every now and then to work out kinks in my back.) I found that a simple gel seat cushion (model no. is ST-GEL-01) works great in the driver's seat to keep your butt and/or hips away from the pinchy, too-sharply-angled sides of the seat, where it hits the seatback; and I'm using their "Sit-Back Cushion," a contoured gel pad that gives excellent lumbar support, when I'm in the front passenger seat. As well as making me slouch less, it pushes my butt and hips forward just enough that I'm not bothered by the problematic design of the seat/seatback join.

So for $100, I got enough cushioning to save $15K over the price of the i3, and – I'm guessing – a much better car to boot.

Thanks, I might buy this if the Purple cushion arriving tomorrow doesn't work out. I started with a memory foam cushion but it's too tall and not wide enough. One thing I'm bummed about is this will render the seat warmers useless so I might still try to add foam padding under the warmer if I can't get GM to do anything about it.

Here's the petition to fix the Bolt seats FYI: https://www.change.org/p/general-motors-fix-the-chevy-bolt-s-front-seats

Getting close to 100 signatures after just a few days!

Back