Has anyone had this problem? Key Fob, Bolt won't start.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randW

I have twice had my fob not activate and start my Bolt. In these instances, I get into the car but the startup screens do not activate. I cannot turn on the car. The fob works to lock and unlock the car but nothing else. I am not sure if this is a fob issue or an issue with some other system.

In both instances, I have gotten in and out of the car, locked and unlocked the car and, after a few minutes, the car again starts. Not sure why. I am not sure is this will be a problem and leave me stranded at some point.

Any others have this issue?

Also, my local Chevy dealers do not offer the BOLT. Will they be able to assess and fix it?

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, mine didn't seem to want to recognize the key inside the vehicle. I shrugged it off dropped the key in the bottom of the center console where the reader is and it came up.

Worked fine the next time and forever since.

Maxters said:
Yes, mine didn't seem to want to recognize the key inside the vehicle. I shrugged it off dropped the key in the bottom of the center console where the reader is and it came up.

Worked fine the next time and forever since.

This is not a rare problem with "smart" keys, and probably due to some sort of RF interference. This is why manufacturers have alternate ways to start the vehicle, so knowing the location of the alternate fob location is important for all Bolt owners.

Alternatively, wait a few minutes and the car will reset itself.

Have you got “KeyPass” enabled? If so, try disabling that and see if your problems go away. I was having all kinds of problems with KeyPass including alarm going off and Keyfob not being recognized. After disabling KeyPass, my problems have completely resolved and the Key Fob works perfectly. IMHO KeyPass is buggy and not ready for release.

paulgipe said:
Had the car one week. Dead this am. Nothing. Took the mechanical key, popped the handle cover off, opened the door, dropped key in console. Nothing. Dead. Had to take the Volt.

Most likely a dead 12v battery.

dandrewk said:
paulgipe said:
Had the car one week. Dead this am. Nothing. Took the mechanical key, popped the handle cover off, opened the door, dropped key in console. Nothing. Dead. Had to take the Volt.

Exactly. 3.7 volts to be exact.

When they're totally dead you can't do anything--even putting it into neutral.

Just getting the tow pin out of the trunk was a challenge. Had to crawl over the back seat.

Tow truck driver was having trouble with the skates so he jumped it to get the car in neutral then he could roll it up the ramp.

Salesman suggested I might have left the accessories on by mistake. I don't think so, but anything is possible. Chevy has it now.

Paul

If you leave any 12v accessories on, I think everything is supposed to shut off after 10 minutes. I notice this all the time when I am parked waiting for someone, I lose the radio, dome light, power windows, etc after 10 minutes every time. Since this car burns no gas “idling” when parked, I am inclined to just leave the car “on” when I am parked waiting for someone.

12 volt batteries can just be defective. Period.
They get an internal short or something and just go bad all at once. Do not assume this is more than just a defective 12 volt battery. Chances are that is all it is.

paulgipe said:
dandrewk said:
paulgipe said:

Exactly. 3.7 volts to be exact.

When they're totally dead you can't do anything--even putting it into neutral.

Just getting the tow pin out of the trunk was a challenge. Had to crawl over the back seat.

Tow truck driver was having trouble with the skates so he jumped it to get the car in neutral then he could roll it up the ramp.

Salesman suggested I might have left the accessories on by mistake. I don't think so, but anything is possible. Chevy has it now.

Paul

paulgipe said:
dandrewk said:
paulgipe said:
Exactly. 3.7 volts to be exact ... Salesman suggested I might have left the accessories on by mistake. I don't think so, but anything is possible. Chevy has it now.
You might want to have a look at this post on another forum: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/243626-post35.html. It involved a software issue that caused the car to not charge the 12V battery.

SeanNelson said:
paulgipe said:
dandrewk said:
Exactly. 3.7 volts to be exact ... Salesman suggested I might have left the accessories on by mistake. I don't think so, but anything is possible. Chevy has it now.
You might want to have a look at this post on another forum: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/243626-post35.html. It involved a software issue that caused the car to not charge the 12V battery.

Thanks Sean. I was hoping someone might have seen something about this issue. . . Assuming it wasn't operator error. ;)

Back