CarPlay display doesn't match my expected behavior

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have an iPhone 6 IOS 11.0.3 and a new Chevy Bolt EV 2017. The Bolt Manual and several Chevy YouTube videos show that when you plug the iPhone into the USB port, the Bolt display's "Projection" icon will be swapped for the CarPlay icon. I like this in theory because then the other options, like Settings, Audio, are still available to me.

However, that doesn't happen for me. When I plug my iPhone into the USB port the entire Bolt display goes to CarPlay. In other words, the icons are now Apple Maps, Apple music, etc. Is this a new change to the interface or is there a way I can get what I've seen on YouTube?

Mine does what you describe. When projecting CarPlay, it takes over the entire screen. Hit the "Home" button beneath the screen (a physical button, not on the screen) to return to your standard Bolt view.

Agreed. The behavior you describe is normal. Hitting the "home" button brings you back to your home screen. From there, you will see a CarPlay icon if you want to return to the CarPlay screen.

You want to change the USB Auto Launch setting.

On- tells the car to change the display to CarPlay when an iPhone is connected to USB.

Off- leaves the display unchanged. CarPlay will still connect but you will have to manually switch to it by using pressing Projection on the home screen or holding down the home button next to the volume knob.

dennywh said:
You want to change the USB Auto Launch setting.

On- tells the car to change the display to CarPlay when an iPhone is connected to USB.

Off- leaves the display unchanged. CarPlay will still connect but you will have to manually switch to it by using pressing Projection on the home screen or holding down the home button next to the volume knob.

That is not correct, I have my USB Auto Launch set to off and my Carplay works just fine, launching all on it's own. It will resume whatever I had playing last time I unplugged from the car without issue and without me needing to touch anything.

Make sure your Carplay settings on your phone have the Bolts settings (shows up as Chevrolet Mylink) set to allow Carplay to launch while the phone is locked.

I have the USB Autolaunch set to off because my wife plugs her phone in to charge sometimes and if USB Autolaunch is on it will switch to her phone when it plugs in, not Carplay but any music she is playing will take over.

I will say though after the iOS 11 update my iPhone 6 and Carplay were pretty terrible, a lot of bugs and glitches. Before iOS 11 my iPhone 6 and carplay worked perfect in my Bolt, after it was just terrible.

I got a iPhone 8 recently and it works flawlessly with iOS11, Carplay and my Bolt. So I don't know if there are just oddities with iPhone 6 or if mine was just having it's own special issues.

Back