Two more years on my Volt lease

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM is still holding out on giving any specific dates, but if you can believe all the rumors, then the Bolt EV will definitely be around when your lease is up!

That would be good news as I have recently begun kayaking again
and the roof of the new Volt looks even less "rack friendly" than on
my 2014........ :shock:

Two more years on my Spark lease as well. Our 2011 Volt will be 6 by that time, but barring unforeseens, we're keeping it...

DCQC is starting to be very usable now, last year at this time we had practically zero station, now there are enough to get all around the Bay Area. Should be pretty well covered by the time the Bolt debuts. Hopefully those huge gaps between SF and LA, & SF to Oregon will get filled by then.

hodad66 said:
That would be good news as I have recently begun kayaking again
and the roof of the new Volt looks even less "rack friendly" than on
my 2014........ :shock:

The glass roof on the Bolt could be rack un-friendly too :)

I just gave in and started a new 3 year lease on a 2017 Volt. It was just too great a deal to resist. I was hoping to hold out for the Bolt because of the supposed higher seating. Hopefully, values of the Volt don't tank like my previous Leaf. Maybe I can trade it in mid 2017 for a Bolt without suffering too much of a loss. There might be great lease deals by then on the Bolt that will make up for the loss. On the other hand I'm really enjoying the new Volt so far. :D

Maybe by then you'll be able to justify having a pure EV and an EREV!

Looks to me like GM is sticking to their timelines, they are already starting pre-production (although I'm still not sure exactly what that means)...

"Maybe by then you'll be able to justify having a pure EV and an EREV!"

I could if one of them was all wheel drive. Geez. I do a lot of driving in the Sierras. When is someone going to come out with AWD? I gave up on Mitsubishi a year ago.

Tesla has AWD as an option. I'm willing to bet that the Model III will have the option as well.

Even RWD would be better than FWD with all of the torque/power that the Bolt will have.

GetOffYourGas said:
Tesla has AWD as an option. I'm willing to bet that the Model III will have the option as well.

Even RWD would be better than FWD with all of the torque/power that the Bolt will have.

For amateur drivers, the handling maybe isn't as good, but traction is better with front wheel drive since that's where most of the weight is.

Whoops, I almost made that comment without the caveat that it was that way with gasoline vehicles - not sure of the front to back weight distribution of the Chevy Bolt EV since the battery pack probably really spreads the weight out across the whole vehicle...

willk58 said:
I could if one of them was all wheel drive. Geez. I do a lot of driving in the Sierras.

As a Canadian owner of two rear wheel drive EV's (Tesla S and Smart ED), I can say that proper winter tires makes all the difference. AWD does nothing to help you brake! We've gone 20000 km over the past few winters in our EV's with no drama and plenty of traction.

I'v driven a RWD i3 for over a year now and have never on dry pavement spun the tires, despite aggressively accelerating nearly every trip. I recently test drove a second gen Volt and spun the front wheels in the parking lot! The problem is the weight shifts backwards when you accelerate. We haven't beat physics yet! :D

I use snow tires in the winter, which I think is worthwhile for any car because as pointed out already, FWD does not improve your braking or cornering ability and snow tires make a huge difference in both. People tend to think AWD is the end-all of winter driving, but that's another thing that does nothing to help you brake on ice. However you do have to consider a second set of wheels in the cost evaluation when you drive a RWD vehicle in winter climates.

Turned my Volt in early & leased a Bolt LT BEFORE the actual release date!! Thanks Maher Chevrolet
in St Petersburg, Fl for trucking these in....... I'm a happy camper!!

33695277810_eb78cd2415_b.jpg

Back