When to recharge?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrngtn

We have solar panels on the roof and have net metering, but we do not have time of day pricing. So from a financial perspective it does not matter when we recharge our Bolt. But as good citizens when should we recharge? If we recharge during the day we will reduce the amount of power we provide the grid through our solar panels and increase the amount of power we use at night. If we recharge at night we will increase what we supply the grid during the day and decrease what we demand at night.

I thought that evening out the usage was a good for the environment and the power company. But maybe it is better to charge when we are doing so with solar power during the day.

Late afternoon and evening (17:00 to 21:00) tend to be the higher electricity use time, and also when solar installations provide less or no power into the grid. So that would be the worst time to charge an EV if you are thinking of global or grid-level effects. 06:00 to 07:00 on work days is another peak that would be an unfavorable time to charge.

Here are the daily electricity use patterns in California:
http://www.caiso.com/outlook/SystemStatus.html

For example, the blue line shows total demand, while the green line shows net demand from sources other than solar/wind.
duck_YESTERDAY.gif

OK, but when is the best time? 23:00- till fully charged, which would end before 0600? Or should we wait until the sun is up to recharge? Or are you saying any time except those two time periods that are worst?

In Winter, mornings after the AM peak of 6:00-8:00am, through mid afternoon would be best. In Summer, Midnight to late morning would be best. And again, it depends on the weather. In mild weather charge whenever you want.

I recently wondered much the same question. Based on this graph, I concluded it was best for me to set my Bolt for "departure based charging" and set my departure time to 6:00 Am. The dotted line is forecast, the solid line is actual for all of NYS. I plan to e-mail my power company to confirm...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 5,197
Back