120 volt charge cord included?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

Took delivery of my new Bolt on Monday, and now trying to get familiar with it. One question:

Shown on my detailed invoice is "120 volt charging cable, dealer installed, $485.00"

Sure enough, there's 2 cables in the storage compartment, exact same part #. I'm assuming that the Bolt, like the Leaf, comes with a 120 volt cable, does it not? Is there any good reason for them to foist off another? Need to know before I request a refund.

FWIW: I've had 2 Nissan Leafs, a 2013 and a 2016, both included the 120 volt "trickle charge" cable. Of course, I have a Level 2 setup in my garage, Schneider 6.6 Kw, from Home Depot, installed in January of 2014.

Love the Bolt so far, still have details to figure out. That's half the fun, right? :)

<<Jim>>

jdunmyer said:
Is there any good reason for them to foist off another? Need to know before I request a refund.
IMHO the only reason to have two charging cables (which are technically referred to as EVSEs for "Electric Vehicle Service Equipment") is if you want to keep one at home for charging and a second one in the car just in case you need to charge someplace where there's only a 120V outlet available.

There are better options (i.e., ones that can handle more power and therefore charge the car faster) for both home and portable EVSEs out there, it's up to you as to whether or not you'd rather buy them.

It's worth noting that the stock EVSE that comes with the car has a plug that fits into a 120V outlet, but it actually works on 240V just as well, and that doubles the charge rate (and cuts the charge time in half). You just need a way to deliver 240V to it, either through an adapter or by wiring a 240V circuit to a 120V-style plug (also known as a "NEMA 5-15" plug).

I know of no reason why the dealer should put two identical charging cables in the vehicle and charge you that extra money. One cable comes with the auto and you might well want to buy an aftermarket 240 volt version, but that has nothing to do with the dealer. Yes, I'd demand they take one of the cables back and remove that charge.

Rich

Thanks fellas, it's as I suspected. It's probably an honest mistake on the dealer's part, as they don't sell many in this area (lower SE Michigan), and might not realize that the cord is included. Mine might even be the first for this dealer.

And, I am aware that the technical term is EVSE.

While I have the experts' attention: is there a way to turn on the surround cameras OTHER than shifting to reverse? Both my Nissans (Leaf and Murano) have a Camera button that does this, and I use it often when parking.

Thanks again!! <<Jim, lower SE MI>>

Mine also came with two cords, but apparently it was a factory option, because they wouldn't take it off the price, even though I didn't want it.

Now I have two of them. :|

RE: turning on the surround cameras: I found the function. I think I prefer the Leaf's hard button.

There is a confusing checkoff on the order form that makes it seem as if you have to pay for the EVSE when in fact it's to order an extra one. I'd tell the dealer to take it back or you'll walk, unless you actually checked that box.

LB,
Thanks for that info, I never saw an order form, it was all done verbally. I told the salesman that I wanted a Bolt, Premier, loaded. This dealership is relatively small, in a small town, and doesn't even stock the Bolt, in fact probably isn't really authorized to sell it, but they're affiliated with another, larger dealer, in a larger town. The salesguy told me that he'd order it through the other dealer. I'd bet that the ordering dealer isn't much more knowlegable about the Bolt than my dealer, so probably got confused.

Will chat with the sales guy on Friday.

Thanks again!!

Yes, one EVSE is included with the Bolt. It is can do 8A or 12A at 120V (1 to 1.4 kW) plugged into a typical NEMA 5-15R receptacle (the usual ones around the house).

It can be used on 240V (2.8 kW) with an adapter for the 240V receptacle that you have (e.g. https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/chevy-volt-chevy-bolt-ev-level-2-charge ).

However, if you want another EVSE, you may find that a higher capacity one (e.g. 30A at 240V for 7.2 kW) may be more useful if you have a high-enough current outlet available.

When I received my Bolt in August I also obtained an adapter to use the included charge cord at 240V. I found that the cord got quite warm. IT was because at 240V it's "predetermined" to charge at 12 amps. That stock cord is a 16 gauge cord and that's really too small to charge at 12 amps (either 120v or 240v - it's the amps that matter). So I decided to purchase an after market 16 amp 240V charge cord that has a 12 gauge cord. It charges faster and cord doesn't get hot like stock cord. Bottom line: it might not be a good idea to regularly use the stock cord to charge at 12 amps; if using the stock cord, use it at 120V and the default 8 amp setting.

We've now moved into "how to piss off a customer without really trying":

Having printed off this thread, I returned to the dealer, looking for a refund of the $500.00 for the 'extra' charge cord. I had called and spoke with the salesman first, so he knew I was coming, and what my purpose was. (In addition to help with setup of the My Chevrolet app on my phone) There's little doubt that he had spoken with his boss about the charge cord issue, of course.

I put the cord on his desk, along with a copy of the detailed invoice and the message thread, only to be told, "It wasn't my fault, I can't do anything about it, I have no use for that cord". Needless to say, this tightened my jaws a bit, and I told him in no uncertain terms that his answer was unacceptable. I also reminded him of the story of why I bought the car from him instead of from a fella who had sold me 3 cars previously. He disappeared for a while, returned to inform me that he will accept the cord and will issue a check for the full amount, plus tax.

The worst part is, the damage is already done, my opinion of him and his dealership is in the basement.

If anyone is interested, I'll relate the reason that a salesman who sold me 3 cars in 4 years and knew I was going to buy a Bolt, probably from him, lost the sale and probably any future sales. Mind you, in the case of all 3 of those cars, my biggest issue was NOT price, it was "when can I take delivery?". This Bolt was the same way, I'm basically a salesman's dream.

My opinion is that ALL car salesmen rank right there with drug dealers, politicians, and other such scum. Is it impossible for a dealership to treat customers the way they SHOULD be treated?

djhodny said:
That stock cord is a 16 gauge cord and that's really too small to charge at 12 amps (either 120v or 240v - it's the amps that matter).
Not an electrician, but I thought 16 gauge copper was good for 13 amps and below?
Not much overhead, but seems within accepted range. (Otherwise I don't think GM would have been allowed to include it).
Don't want people to think GM is shipping something unsafe...

That said, lower gauge is better.... ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
djhodny said:
That stock cord is a 16 gauge cord and that's really too small to charge at 12 amps (either 120v or 240v - it's the amps that matter).
Not an electrician, but I thought 16 gauge copper was good for 13 amps and below?
I'm using the stock EVSE at 240V/12A and it just barely gets a tiny bit warm. It's certainly nothing I'd be concerned about.

What wire gauge is sufficient depends heavily on length, and at only 25 feet the cord on the stock EVSE really doesn't need to be heavier than it is.

Back