Collimare

Re: Nitrogen in the tires

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:03 pm

No science just years of personal experience. Costco provides it free as a service to it’s customers because Costco feels it is better. Don’t think they go to the expense if they felt it had no value/benefit. Perhaps it is just placebo effect with the sensors what ever it is it keeps them happy...

IMAdolt

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Collimare wrote:No science just years of personal experience. Costco provides it free as a service to it’s customers because Costco feels it is better. Don’t think they go to the expense if they felt it had no value/benefit. Perhaps it is just placebo effect with the sensors what ever it is it keeps them happy...

Costco aint dumb, they do it for the same reason they sell a $1.50 (in CAD) hotdog and pop at the cafeteria and handout samples, it gets asses in store. If someone is getting their tires filled up for the free nitro I'm guessing they're also getting them serviced there too for the most part.

EldRick

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Right - it is a way to differentiate themselves from every other tire outlet, inexpensively. It's a business ploy, not a performance improvement.

Don’t think they go to the expense if they felt it had no value/benefit.

The benefit and value is to their marketing, nothing more.

TimBolt

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 pm

I use helium, I had to add a couple of bags of Sakrete in the trunk to keep my Bolt from floating away.
2017 Bolt LT

EldRick

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:03 pm

"Certainly, if you fall into one or more of the categories below, using nitrogen could be beneficial:
If you have one or more cars that are primarily used at the racetrack
If you drive very sparingly and your car sits unused for an extended time
If you own collectible cars that are seldom driven any great distances
If you have to put your car in storage for a significant period of time

If you use your car on a regular basis for daily driving and don’t fall into any of the above categories, it’s difficult to see how using nitrogen gives you any practical benefits, especially compared to its cost and inconvenience."

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/nitrogen-vs-air

"Yes, nitrogen is technically a better gas to fill tires with than air, though it’s not really so much about nitrogen itself as it is not having water vapor in your tires.
Is it worth it? For normal driving, probably not. The advantages, while real, are still really very miniscule."

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-deal-wit ... 1795659391

gpsman

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:09 am

I looked it up. I was about to say the main difference is water content, but someone beat me to it.

Compressed air will vary, but undried air can have up to 10,000 ppm (parts per million) water vapor.

Nitrogen is most commonly distilled from air.
Nitrogen purchased in high pressure cylinders will commonly have 1 to 5 ppm water vapor.

For the extremist, Argon cylinders typically have 1 ppb (1 part per billion) water vapor.

I also looked up the price of bottled nitrogen.
Back of the napkin guesstimate is one of the large cylinders will fill about 100 car tires (@35 psi). Retail price if I wanted one cylinder is $70.

Places like Costco who buy in bulk may get it at half that price. So my assertion that NASCAR, Airlines, and Costco use nitrogen PRIMARILY for convenience holds water. It’s cheap. Not cheaper than plain-old compressed air, but maybe on par with DRIED compressed air, and why bother buying the extra equipment, to dry the air, if there is an easier, electricity free, portable system with no moving parts?

EldRick

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 pm

There are also units sized for a tire outlet that collect nitrogen directly from the air. I don't know what moisture content they produce.

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”