steve2150
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Bose Question

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Have the Premier and my question is on the Bose, the window sticker shows 6 speakers whereas the Bolt brochure downloaded shows the basic system as 6 speakers and the Bose system as 7 speakers including subwoofer. Any idea which is right the sticker or brochure.

elpwr
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:38 am

Re: Bose Question

Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:22 pm

The 7th speaker is in the Bose subwoofer under the rear cargo area. That being said, speaker count has no real correlation with sound quality.

LeftieBiker
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 am

Re: Bose Question

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:47 pm

That being said, speaker count has no real correlation with sound quality.


I've found that two speakers or more are far better than one. ;-)
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

DaveInAvl
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:51 am
Location: Asheville NC

Re: Bose Question

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Also, the subwoofer doesn't look like what most people think of when they hear "speaker". But what comes out seems amazing given the size of the thing...

NeilBlanchard
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 4:58 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Bose Question

Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:03 pm

The Bose uses way too much DSP, for me to call it good. They reduce the midrange, and they cut the bass at higher volumes, and I think they add reverb, on some music, at least.

Here's another thread on this: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7396

SmokingRubber
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 pm
Location: Pismo Beach, California

Re: Bose Question

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:01 pm

I've been saying it for 30 years so I might as well say it again ... "BOSE SUCKS!"

I said that mostly in regards to home theater systems. In homes you can usually afford the space to get a decent sized speakers so the need to go with tiny satellite speakers and one sub is nill. Unless you live in a shoebox, bigger speakers always sound better if you have the wattage to push them.

In a car, you don't have that much space available so I understand the compromise. Bose would actually be keenly positioned to design an appropriate sound stage. Comparing the Bose stereo in my Bolt to other oem systems I've heard, Bose sounds pretty good. It doesn't hold a candle to a real aftermarket system with about 1000 watts of power, component speakers and a subwoofer... but it's not trying to. For a factory system, it sounds damn good. It's way better than any OEM Sony or OEM JBL systems I've heard.
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring

LeftieBiker
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:13 am

Re: Bose Question

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 pm

The Bose system used in the Leaf, which I suspect is the same one used in the Bolt, was developed to use as little power as possible in EVs. 10 watts typically, IIRC.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

dandrewk
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:29 am

Re: Bose Question

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:16 am

SmokingRubber wrote:I've been saying it for 30 years so I might as well say it again ... "BOSE SUCKS!"

I said that mostly in regards to home theater systems. In homes you can usually afford the space to get a decent sized speakers so the need to go with tiny satellite speakers and one sub is nill. Unless you live in a shoebox, bigger speakers always sound better if you have the wattage to push them.

In a car, you don't have that much space available so I understand the compromise. Bose would actually be keenly positioned to design an appropriate sound stage. Comparing the Bose stereo in my Bolt to other oem systems I've heard, Bose sounds pretty good. It doesn't hold a candle to a real aftermarket system with about 1000 watts of power, component speakers and a subwoofer... but it's not trying to. For a factory system, it sounds damn good. It's way better than any OEM Sony or OEM JBL systems I've heard.


Bose is very "iffy" with large rooms and systems designed for such. But for "small field" their staging works. e.g. I like their small, desktop computer systems as the DSP used works great. Of course, it's all personal taste.

For cars, sure you can throw tons of money and get something a lot better aftermarket. But in the tiny environment of a Bolt, standing waves become such an issue there is a hard limit to ultimate audio quality.

SeanNelson
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Bose Question

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:36 am

dandrewk wrote:For cars, sure you can throw tons of money and get something a lot better aftermarket. But in the tiny environment of a Bolt, standing waves become such an issue there is a hard limit to ultimate audio quality.

It amuses me to hear audiophiles discussing the finer points of car stereo systems where road noise is by far and away the most egregious audible defect you'll year.

WetEV
Moderator
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Near Seattle

Re: Bose Question

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm

SeanNelson wrote:
dandrewk wrote:For cars, sure you can throw tons of money and get something a lot better aftermarket. But in the tiny environment of a Bolt, standing waves become such an issue there is a hard limit to ultimate audio quality.

It amuses me to hear audiophiles discussing the finer points of car stereo systems where road noise is by far and away the most egregious audible defect you'll year.


Wind noise, if you roll the windows down or put the top down, is far worse.
#49 on the LEAF 100 mile club.
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red
2014 Leaf SL Red
Can't sit in a Bolt seat, hoping for better soon.
Or perhaps a Buick version? Buick Electra 225???

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”