Bose Question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve2150

Have the Premier and my question is on the Bose, the window sticker shows 6 speakers whereas the Bolt brochure downloaded shows the basic system as 6 speakers and the Bose system as 7 speakers including subwoofer. Any idea which is right the sticker or brochure.

The 7th speaker is in the Bose subwoofer under the rear cargo area. That being said, speaker count has no real correlation with sound quality.

Also, the subwoofer doesn't look like what most people think of when they hear "speaker". But what comes out seems amazing given the size of the thing...

I've been saying it for 30 years so I might as well say it again ... "BOSE SUCKS!"

I said that mostly in regards to home theater systems. In homes you can usually afford the space to get a decent sized speakers so the need to go with tiny satellite speakers and one sub is nill. Unless you live in a shoebox, bigger speakers always sound better if you have the wattage to push them.

In a car, you don't have that much space available so I understand the compromise. Bose would actually be keenly positioned to design an appropriate sound stage. Comparing the Bose stereo in my Bolt to other oem systems I've heard, Bose sounds pretty good. It doesn't hold a candle to a real aftermarket system with about 1000 watts of power, component speakers and a subwoofer... but it's not trying to. For a factory system, it sounds damn good. It's way better than any OEM Sony or OEM JBL systems I've heard.

The Bose system used in the Leaf, which I suspect is the same one used in the Bolt, was developed to use as little power as possible in EVs. 10 watts typically, IIRC.

SmokingRubber said:
I've been saying it for 30 years so I might as well say it again ... "BOSE SUCKS!"

I said that mostly in regards to home theater systems. In homes you can usually afford the space to get a decent sized speakers so the need to go with tiny satellite speakers and one sub is nill. Unless you live in a shoebox, bigger speakers always sound better if you have the wattage to push them.

In a car, you don't have that much space available so I understand the compromise. Bose would actually be keenly positioned to design an appropriate sound stage. Comparing the Bose stereo in my Bolt to other oem systems I've heard, Bose sounds pretty good. It doesn't hold a candle to a real aftermarket system with about 1000 watts of power, component speakers and a subwoofer... but it's not trying to. For a factory system, it sounds damn good. It's way better than any OEM Sony or OEM JBL systems I've heard.

Bose is very "iffy" with large rooms and systems designed for such. But for "small field" their staging works. e.g. I like their small, desktop computer systems as the DSP used works great. Of course, it's all personal taste.

For cars, sure you can throw tons of money and get something a lot better aftermarket. But in the tiny environment of a Bolt, standing waves become such an issue there is a hard limit to ultimate audio quality.

dandrewk said:
For cars, sure you can throw tons of money and get something a lot better aftermarket. But in the tiny environment of a Bolt, standing waves become such an issue there is a hard limit to ultimate audio quality.
It amuses me to hear audiophiles discussing the finer points of car stereo systems where road noise is by far and away the most egregious audible defect you'll year.

SeanNelson said:
dandrewk said:
It amuses me to hear audiophiles discussing the finer points of car stereo systems where road noise is by far and away the most egregious audible defect you'll year.

Wind noise, if you roll the windows down or put the top down, is far worse.

WetEV said:
SeanNelson said:
dandrewk said:

I can't put the top down on my Bolt. Where is the button for that?

WetEV said:
SeanNelson said:
dandrewk said:

"Put the top down"??!?? :eek:

WetEV said:
SeanNelson said:
dandrewk said:

If you have a REAL system and you turn it up, road noise disappears. Of course rolling down the window changes everything.

The Bolt's Bose system sounds pretty good (with the windows up) but I agree the DSP needs work. I installed JetAudio Plus to work with Android Auto. It sounds like tin crap until you buy an addon DSP, then it sounds like crap in a hole with bass. Waste of money. Getting each audio source to sound right is a challenge.

SeanNelson said:
dandrewk said:

In small econo-boxs road noise is a huge issue. The Bolt is a LOT quieter than most cars as there is virtually zero engine/motor noise and vibration. But it still transmits tons of road/wind noise, enough so it will drown out the awesome nuances of a premium sound system.

However, if you been inside a higher end "luxury/performance" vehicle, the passenger compartment is both quiet and roomy. You CAN easily hear the differences a premium system can offer. But such a system would be lost in the Bolt. Maybe if Buick or Cadillac releases a Bolt clone this will improve, as they can spend more $$$ on refining and improving noise isolation.

I've ordered a 2018 Premier and am being told by my dealer that the Infotainment Package, listed as a $565 CAD option on the Chevrolet "Build and Price" site (for the 2017 Premier - 2018s aren't yet listed online) is actually included as a standard feature in the Premier. Could others confirm this is the case?

A GM agent just informed me the Bose premium speaker system is now standard on the 2018 Premier.

Back