Vehicle Names

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklisch

Not sure anyone else has this minor complaint, but why did GM name this car the Bolt, after having the first plug in called the Volt? Right now I have both in my garage and I can't tell you of the confusion when I talk to my friends and family about my 2 EV's. Just getting through the linguistics is enough, then the technical discussion starts. I do enjoy talking about each vehicle, but why call it the Bolt? Why not an animal name or something? Tesla seems no better Model 3? With all that creativity and genius, that is what they come up with? And these other names, an S, and an X. BWM is I3. Is there an I1 or I2? Seems as bad as Microsoft going from 3.1 to 95,97, NT, 2000, ME, ,XP, 7, 8,10. A mish mash of names. Volt, Leaf, Roadster all nice names. Some new ones are not. But I do love the car, just wanted to voice this observation. :)

I believe there is a logic to it..

Little know fact, VOLT and BOLT are actually acronyms.

BOLT = Battery Only eLectric Transportation
VOLT = Vaguely Overcomplex eLectric Transportation

(Note: The above fact might actually be a total fabrication)

:)

desiv
(p.s. I am just joking, not slamming the Volt.. ;-) )

Not sure anyone else has this minor complaint, but why did GM name this car the Bolt, after having the first plug in called the Volt? Right now I have both in my garage and I can't tell you of the confusion when I talk to my friends and family about my 2 EV's. Just getting through the linguistics is enough, then the technical discussion starts. I do enjoy talking about each vehicle, but why call it the Bolt? Why not an animal name or something?

Yes!! I was beginning to think that I was the only one with this thought!

GM has the resources to pay someone for a few days to research a nifty, appropriate moniker.
Maybe "Ohmega" or somesuch.

Of course, perhaps "Bolt" is fitting: it implies (to me) something kinda crude, clunky, and heavy-duty, sorta like the Bolt.

FWIW: I've had 2 Leafs for the past 4 years and think that they're more-refined than the Bolt. Except for that wonderful 60 Kwhr battery, of course!! :D

Consumer Reports concluded their September Bolt review with "if you ever thought about going electric, you'd be nuts not to consider the Bolt"

To prevent confusion for people who ask what kind of car I have, I tell them "I am a little nuts - I got a Bolt!"

Back