Weirdness - Battery died at 48 kWh (209 miles) - now No Remote Detected

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really weird. First the battery dies when I have an estimated 38 miles left, range 209 miles, 48 kWh used. Now, "no remote detected"!

So I ordered my Bolt back when orders were being accepted in October 2016. Subsequently I was advised that my Bolt would be manufactured (assembled) the week before Christmas, Monday December 19 through Friday December 23, 2016. Then my Bolt was pulled for random quality check. Finally after a transportation delay, I picked it from the dealer February 9.

Everything has been wonderful up until Tuesday, December 26. I was going along the road at 55 when I heard the "ding ding" and saw that "propulsion has been reduced". First weird thing was I could go no faster than 10 MPH. On my Spark EV and previously twice on the Bolt when propulsion is reduced, it is more like reduced to 50 MPH, NOT 10. Then I saw I had 38 miles (estimated) remaining. As I pulled over to the side of the road it dropped to 0 and "Charge Now!" appeared. I was dead. Since I was less than 2 miles from home, I had the tow truck take the car home so I could charge up. Thursday, 12/27, I took the car to the dealer who advised nothing is wrong, no computer codes were found, all test were normal. OK, I expected that. Service said bring the car back when I had about 195 - 200 miles so they could check the partially discharged battery. Fair enough. Nothing amiss with a fully charged battery, so I figured to drive it until around 190, then take it to the dealer about 10 miles away..

Today I go to the store. When I get home, after unloading the groceries, the car auto locks up per normal when I go into the house. I go back out to put the car into the garage and the car will not unlock. Like the remote just died. OK, possible I guess. So into the house and get the other remote I have used once since I got the car 11 months ago. It too will not work. As it is the driver side window is down so I manually opened the door and verified that the horn alarm works, though that was not my intent. Apparently it does not like the door to be opened without sensing the remote. However, both remotes were in my pocket. When I push start, the display tells me "no remote detected". Hmm, both remotes fail at the same time. I don't think so!

In summary, the first time I tried to drive the car exactly 1 year and 3 days AFTER manufacture, the battery fails, even though seconds before 0 miles remaining I had 38 miles remaining and had gone only 209 miles and used 48 kWh. Seven times I've gone 50+ kWh. Now, the day after I was at the dealer, the car will not detect the remotes. I just thank God all this happened at home and NOT in the parking lot!

I wasn't sure whether to put this in "Technical" or "General" discussion. Generally, I wanted to find out if any other Bolt owners had any stories of weirdness?

There seem to be a few Bolts with bad packs - probably bad cells, that behave like this. You will likely get a new pack.

OrangeCountyCarl said:
This is really weird. First the battery dies when I have an estimated 38 miles left, range 209 miles, 48 kWh used. Now, "no remote detected"!

So I ordered my Bolt back when orders were being accepted in October 2016. Subsequently I was advised that my Bolt would be manufactured (assembled) the week before Christmas, Monday December 19 through Friday December 23, 2016. Then my Bolt was pulled for random quality check. Finally after a transportation delay, I picked it from the dealer February 9.

Everything has been wonderful up until Tuesday, December 26. I was going along the road at 55 when I heard the "ding ding" and saw that "propulsion has been reduced". First weird thing was I could go no faster than 10 MPH. On my Spark EV and previously twice on the Bolt when propulsion is reduced, it is more like reduced to 50 MPH, NOT 10. Then I saw I had 38 miles (estimated) remaining. As I pulled over to the side of the road it dropped to 0 and "Charge Now!" appeared. I was dead. Since I was less than 2 miles from home, I had the tow truck take the car home so I could charge up. Thursday, 12/27, I took the car to the dealer who advised nothing is wrong, no computer codes were found, all test were normal. OK, I expected that. Service said bring the car back when I had about 195 - 200 miles so they could check the partially discharged battery. Fair enough. Nothing amiss with a fully charged battery, so I figured to drive it until around 190, then take it to the dealer about 10 miles away..

Today I go to the store. When I get home, after unloading the groceries, the car auto locks up per normal when I go into the house. I go back out to put the car into the garage and the car will not unlock. Like the remote just died. OK, possible I guess. So into the house and get the other remote I have used once since I got the car 11 months ago. It too will not work. As it is the driver side window is down so I manually opened the door and verified that the horn alarm works, though that was not my intent. Apparently it does not like the door to be opened without sensing the remote. However, both remotes were in my pocket. When I push start, the display tells me "no remote detected". Hmm, both remotes fail at the same time. I don't think so!

In summary, the first time I tried to drive the car exactly 1 year and 3 days AFTER manufacture, the battery fails, even though seconds before 0 miles remaining I had 38 miles remaining and had gone only 209 miles and used 48 kWh. Seven times I've gone 50+ kWh. Now, the day after I was at the dealer, the car will not detect the remotes. I just thank God all this happened at home and NOT in the parking lot!

I wasn't sure whether to put this in "Technical" or "General" discussion. Generally, I wanted to find out if any other Bolt owners had any stories of weirdness?
Don't overlook a possible bad 12 volt battery. Everything in the car is controlled by the car's computer which runs off of the 12 volt battery. Use an accurate voltmeter and check the 12 volt battery . It should read at least 12.5 volts. If it reads 12 volts or lower, you have found one possible cause.

SparkEVPilot said:
Don't overlook a possible bad 12 volt battery. Everything in the car is controlled by the car's computer which runs off of the 12 volt battery. Use an accurate voltmeter and check the 12 volt battery . It should read at least 12.5 volts. If it reads 12 volts or lower, you have found one possible cause.

+1 to that! A dead 12V battery can cause a lot of weirdness in an EV judging from my Toyota RAV4EV.

Well I too had the dreaded "Propulsion Power Limited" message come up on Dec. 14th.

I was driving locally in Costa Mesa when the message occured. I immediatly pulled over and pushed the OnStar button and was transferred to a assistant who told me that message means the battery is almost out. (It showed 188 mi. range) He then suggested I not shut it off and if possible go directly to the dealer, which I did.

Got the car back 15 days later on the Dec. 29th. Here are the notes from the technician:

**Power Inverter showing wrong voltage causing code P0AF8 Inspect for diagnostic trouble codes
**Found P0AF8 as current.
**Inspect for bulletins. None found for this code
**Using document ID# 4569063 clock in for OLH
**Perform circuit system verification that led me to circuit testing battery main buss line
**Clock out of OLH and call TAC, TAC suggests to continue with document ID# 4569063
**Clock in for OLH. Follow chart to end saying to replace PIM or Battery Relay Block.
**Clock out and call TAC due to parts restriction and order PIM Per TAC replace PIM and program car to WC-1753B and
theft module to WC-XXXXX

Part Number: 24285374

Also had the crappy front seat material re-attached that pulled away for the 2nd time.

Everything seems back to normal. By the way, my production date was 12/21/16

Back