Retaining previous driver technique.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markbvbb

Charge to full. Range limited approx. 199 - 201.
Drive 172 miles mostly highway.
Use level 2 charger.
Range DOES reset after full charge to 238 miles?
Battery indicates full Charge.
Energy info idicatedicates factors remains the same.

It would seem that after each full charge the system would reset.
This would allow for opportunity to improve DRIVING habits.
Retaining previous DRIVING data (especially with 2 different drivers) prevents DRIVING improvements.

Looking to get 238 miles after each full charge to start off and judge your ability to reach this goal by varying your driving technique and other factor under your control is good. However, this is the not working out that way when range is base on data from previous driver or drivining.
The data need to be reset or have the option to do so provides user more control of how to maximize their vehicle usage.

TO THE MODERATOR THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WEATHER!

I like that it keeps previous information. It certainly helps me plan. And yes, you can absolutely use previous data to improve your driving habits. In fact, that's more helpful than having it reset every full charge. You simply watch the trend bar, and it will tell you how efficiently you are driving compared to your own history.

That said, I'm not against having a "reset" button available if you want that option. Or even a selectable "reset on full charge" option. I just also want the ability to keep it as it is, because that is my preference.

The multiple drivers is a case to consider. It would be really slick if the car recognized the driver automatically via the key, and tracked the driving efficiency independently.

It's not reset.

My car is full right now. It says I have 168 miles range ... Max range is 198 and Min range is 138.

That's me driving just to work and back. 4 miles of street roads plus 18 miles of freeway @ 75 mph each way.

According to my guessometer I couldn't go 200 miles if I drove like granny on heroin. So thank your lucky stars your car is more efficient than mine. I think there's something broken because I don't drive crazy enough to see a 70 mile drop in range, but it is what it is.

I'm thankful it's not reset. I'd be super pissed if it guessed 238 miles but only delivered 138! I'd rather the guessometer was as realistic as possible.

I think SmokingRubber and I may have interpreted the OP differently. I thought he was expressing frustration in the fact that it is not reset, and wishing that it was. I'm with SmokingRubber - I don't want it reset.

Current conditions end up with about 120 miles on a full charge. That's about right (lots of heat lately), if not a little low. I'd hate for it to say 238 all the time. No way would I get 238 miles from the car when the temps are below freezing, even without running the heater.

GetOffYourGas said:
I think SmokingRubber and I may have interpreted the OP differently. I thought he was expressing frustration in the fact that it is not reset, and wishing that it was. I'm with SmokingRubber - I don't want it reset.
I agree. Having the range estimate reflect the season, terrain and technique of the driver seems like a far more useful strategy, IMHO.

The problem with having 2 different drivers does not reflect gven range o f each driver.
One driver m ay drive at full speed and not care asbout range. The other is more conservative driver. It apperars that the system indication puniush the more conservative driver by illustrating less range.
Driver Technique should be base soley on driver presently and not on previous.
Understanding other factor involve historical data is acceptacle and agreeable.

Markbvbb said:
The problem with having 2 different drivers does not reflect gven range o f each driver.
One driver m ay drive at full speed and not care asbout range. The other is more conservative driver. It apperars that the system indication puniush the more conservative driver by illustrating less range.
Driver Technique should be base soley on driver presently and not on previous.
Understanding other factor involve historical data is acceptacle and agreeable.

The guessometer conveniently provides an estimate for Minimum and Maximum range. The conservative driver could use the top number as reference ... and the lead-foot should be paying more attention to the bottom number. Problem solved.

The guessometer takes other factors into consideration besides JUST who's driving because some things are universal. Things like tire pressure, ambient temperature, typical terrain, and motor efficiency don't change between drivers. Driving technique only accounts for a portion of your overall efficiency.

You can reset the trip ODO any time which resets your trip mi/kWh also.

It’s not much mental exercise to do the math in your head.

Each “bar” on your battery gauge is 3 kWh.
If your spouse gets 2.0 mi/kWh with the heat on high, that equals 6 miles per bar remaining.

If you hop in, reset the trip ODO and start getting 3.5 mi/kWh by driving slower with the heat off, you can count on 10.5 miles per bar remaining.

Pretty small numbers to keep in your head.
Don’t plan on using the last two bars as a safety buffer and you’ll be fine.

gpsman said:

If your spouse gets 2.0 mi/kWh with the heat on high, that equals 6 miles per bar remaining.

If you hop in, reset the trip ODO and start getting 3.5 mi/kWh by driving slower with the heat off, you can count on 10.5 miles per bar remaining.

I don't see any "bars" other than 25% mark, 50% mark and 75%. The meter is solid so there's no counting of bars possible. You may have the display set differently. I don't need to count bars anyway, but I'm just saying your advise may not work with everyone's method of display.

SmokingRubber said:
gpsman said:

I don't see any "bars" other than 25% mark, 50% mark and 75%. The meter is solid so there's no counting of bars possible. You may have the display set differently. I don't need to count bars anyway, but I'm just saying your advise may not work with everyone's method of display.

Change to the "Enhanced" view, and you will see 20 little bars, 5 between each mark. I much prefer this view as it gives you the most information.

GetOffYourGas said:
SmokingRubber said:
gpsman said:
I don't see any "bars" other than 25% mark, 50% mark and 75%.
Change to the "Enhanced" view, and you will see 20 little bars, 5 between each mark. I much prefer this view as it gives you the most information.
Yes, in enhanced view there are subtle bands of darker and lighter green, each of which represents 5% (3kWh) of charge state.

Back