2017 Vehicle Credit?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rklisch

Does anyone know if the 2017 federal $7500 vehicle credit is available for tax filing this season? I am filing with Turbotax and it says form 8936 is not yet available from the IRS. I wait, do an update, and it says the same thing. Then I go online and see some people have filed through H&R Block with success. So I called H&R Block and was just told that they don't even know the current status of this credit. There was some last minute changes during the government shutdown and they removed some credits retroactively. He is trying to find out for me if the vehicle credit was one of them removed. That seems very dishonest to me, as I spent a lot of money at the end of the year because this credit was available for all of 2017. I'd appreciate any information or experiences on this.
Thanks,
Roger

The last minute "changes" preserved the Tax Credit for 2018 (the House Bill would have removed it, the Senate Bill preserved it and the compromise Bill also kept it in place). 2017 was never in question.

In February of this year, the EVSE and Electric Motorcycle Tax Credits that expired at the end of 2016 were retroactively reinstated for 2017. If you also purchased an EVSE to charge your car, you are now eligible for a 30% Tax Credit for the purchase price and installation (Form 8911).

The IRS has now finalized Form 8936 (no longer showing as "draft", and it should be available in TurboTax and other programs shortly.

Form 8911 is still showing as "Draft - not for filing".

DucRider said:
30% Tax Credit for the purchase price and installation (Form 8911).

Do you have a reference for the "installation" part? The instructions for the form only refer to "property" which to me wouldn't include installation costs, except maybe wires etc., but what do I know? I'm not a tax professional.

joe said:
DucRider said:
30% Tax Credit for the purchase price and installation (Form 8911).

Do you have a reference for the "installation" part? The instructions for the form only refer to "property" which to me wouldn't include installation costs, except maybe wires etc., but what do I know? I'm not a tax professional.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

Back