jdunmyer

charging at dealer?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Do Chevy dealers have an EVSE available for L2 charging?

When I had a Nissan Leaf, I was under the impression that mos dealers had charging stations that were outside and available. The one at my dealer is in an unfenced area, and presumably usable 24/7. A local Cadillac dealer has an EVSE outside for their version of the Chevy Volt, dunno how they'd feel about me stopping by with my Bolt. :-)

SparkE

Re: charging at dealer?

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 pm

The answer to your questions are yes, maybe and no. Or possibly no, maybe and yes?

WetEV

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:28 pm

SparkE wrote:The answer to your questions are yes, maybe and no. Or possibly no, maybe and yes?

I would answer: "Free, broken, pay for, maybe and no."

Of and ICED, of course.
#49 on the LEAF 100 mile club.
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red
2014 Leaf SL Red
Can't sit in a Bolt seat, hoping for better soon.
Or perhaps a Buick version? Buick Electra 225???

jdunmyer

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Probably best to contact said dealer in advance to inquire.

I was making a trip in my first Leaf that would make it a bit chancy on the return, but there was a Nissan dealer near my destination. Called and verified that they had a charging station and yes, I could use it. When I got there, it was turned 'off' inside, and the first salesperson I encountered acted like I was trying to steal something. Fortunately, the salesperson I had spoken with on the phone wandered over and set the situation right. Neither could recall if they had ever sold a Leaf at that dealership, even though it's just outside a college town full of the liberal tree-hugger types who tend to buy EVs. (Bowling Green, OH) Conversely, the Ann Arbor, MI Nissan dealer normally has 3-5 Leafs in stock. (home to UofM, of course)

At this point in the EV evolution, it seems like GM would require Chevy dealers to have a publicly-accessable EVSE that is free to use, or maybe a donation. Perhaps they don't really want to sell them out in flyover country.

BoltEV

Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:36 pm

jdunmyer wrote:Do Chevy dealers have an EVSE available for L2 charging?

Of course every Chevy dealer selling Volts/Bolts must have chargers to "fuel up" their inventory as needed. Their policy on availability to their customers and other Chevy customers varies.

The AutoNation Chevy Dealer up in Valencia California has a DCFC available 24/7 and is the last northbound DCFC on Interstate 5 until someone finally gets around to firing one up on that essential stretch of hiway there!

I am told that during working hours, customers of that dealer may unplug non customer Chevy EVs. I only use it off hours; if at all, when I drive from Paso Robles to Los Angeles

summit

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:56 pm

most have L2, some have L3, albeit the slower 22kw version. I stopped at a dealer in Thousand Oaks on my long trip from San Jose to LA; and it was a nice experience to have access to the lounge to eat my lunch. I even had coffee and watched some TV while juicing up at L3.

But not all dealer has the L3

SmokingRubber

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm

summit wrote:most have L2, some have L3, albeit the slower 22kw version. I stopped at a dealer in Thousand Oaks on my long trip from San Jose to LA; and it was a nice experience to have access to the lounge to eat my lunch. I even had coffee and watched some TV while juicing up at L3.

That's great to know. Thousand Oaks is on my route anytime I head to LA. I don't do it often, but it's very good to know.

FYI, the dealer in Burbank installed a L3 charger about 3 weeks ago. I drove my buddy there to buy a Bolt 2 weeks ago, but we didn't take my Bolt because I didn't know I could charge there. We hit the L3 charger in Buelton on the way back for his car.
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring

BoltEV

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 am

SmokingRubber wrote:We hit the L3 charger in Buelton on the way back for his car.

Way back to where?

BoltEV

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:39 am

summit wrote:most have L2, some have L3, albeit the slower 22kw version. I stopped at a dealer in Thousand Oaks on my long trip from San Jose to LA; and it was a nice experience to have access to the lounge to eat my lunch. I even had coffee and watched some TV while juicing up at L3.

How many times do you stop to charge on this trip?

I go from Santa Cruz to LA with one stop:

1) In Paso Robles, when I take the 1 to the 101 to the 46 to Interstate 5; or

2) In San Luis Obispo, when I take 1 to the 101 all the way.

Evoforce

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 am

We are in the 4th largest city in the nation, and no Chevy dealers here have DCFC. A few have L2.

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”