Remote Unlock Using the Chevy App--Know How to Use It

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Chevy Bolt Supporter
Mike Brigham, a Bolt driver in Toronto, Ontario reports on the importance of knowing how to use Chevy's App to remotely unlock the vehicle.

Brigham, a savvy driver, inadvertently locked his keys in his Bolt. He didn't know it was possible but he learned, the hard way, how to do it.

You can't lock the Bolt's doors if the remote is in the passenger compartment. This is designed to prevent the type of incident that Brigham fell foul of--locking the keys in the car.

However, this feature doesn't work if the keys are in the trunk of the hatchback, says Brigham.

RTEmagicC_ChevyAppKeyFob.JPG.jpg

Brigham put his keys in a bag and proceeded to lock the bag in the Bolt's trunk. Later he realized the key was in the bag--not in his pocket. Fortunately, he remembered that GM's OnStar communicates with the car and that the Chevy App has a feature to lock, unlock, and remote start the car. He called up the app, punched in his pin and selected "Unlock".

It took OnStar about 20 seconds to communicate with the Bolt, says Brigham, and then it unlocked the car despite that it was in an underground parking garage.

RTEmagicC_ChevyAppKeyFobLocks.JPG.jpg

Brigham's message is twofold:

1. Don't leave your key in the trunk.

2. If you do, know how to use the Chevy app to unlock the car.

I do this all the time when I go for a run. Put the key fob in the car, use the remote app to lock the car (will do this even if the key is inside). Go run. When I get back, use the remote app to unlock the car. Voila, no need to carry the key with me.

This is for my Focus Electric, guessing it's the same for the Bolt.

Hi,

I use my Apple Watch to do this.

Specifically, I place my key fob in a RF pouch and leave it in the car (in the console compartment). I then run with just my Apple Watch using it as a running watch also. On return, I use the My Chevrolet app on the watch to unlock the doors. I then retrieve the key fob and drive off. It has worked reliably every time.

Yes, I run with my phone, so I can listen to music, but also in case something happens (I'm old, so who knows what can happen when I'm running!!) I have a way to call for help if I happen to be by myself.

When I was running I didn't have a fancy jersey with pockets--well I didn't have a cell phone either. ;)

When I ride my bike today I have a jersey with pockets and yes, I always carry my phone. I've needed it a few times.

The problem with this tip on using the app is I must remember it. If I don't use that feature often, I will no doubt forget about it. . .

Paul

Campfamily said:
I do this all the time when I go for a run. Put the key fob in the car, use the remote app to lock the car (will do this even if the key is inside). Go run. When I get back, use the remote app to unlock the car. Voila, no need to carry the key with me.

This is for my Focus Electric, guessing it's the same for the Bolt.

Not sure if this works for the bolt. i tried remote lock through the app with fob inside and it keeps failing. as soon as i took the fob out, it worked.

Yeah, also, if the FOB is in the car, it won't remote start either. Worst most pressing problem in our society: Not being able to remote start the AC in the car when the valet leaves the keys on the seat. The humanity!

Back