Android Auto update status?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedMichon

As far as I can tell, the Android Auto on my Bolt is the same as when I took delivery a year ago.

I'm hoping for some improvement. Even little things: When I receive a Google Hangouts message and it asks "What is your message?" it records its own question at the start of my reply. Isn't this just a matter of timing? Why is it recording itself??!!

TedMichon said:
As far as I can tell, the Android Auto on my Bolt is the same as when I took delivery a year ago.

I'm hoping for some improvement. Even little things: When I receive a Google Hangouts message and it asks "What is your message?" it records its own question at the start of my reply. Isn't this just a matter of timing? Why is it recording itself??!!
Re: Android Auto version - do you have updates turned on in your phone, or if not do you run updates manually from time to time? AA is just another app, and it gets updated along with all the rest.

To check the version of Android Auto, go into the phone's settings menu, touch the "Apps" selection, find "Android Auto" in the list and touch it. You should see the version number near the top of the info screen - mine is "Version 3.3582054-release", although I see that there is a new update waiting to be installed (I disable auto updates so as to avoid using data when my phone is connected to my Bolt's WiFi hotspot).

I haven't seen much of a change in AA since I started using it when I bought my Bolt late last year. I think there are some YouTube videos get published when there are any significant feature changes, but I haven't really sought them out.

I had the issue with Google sending text messages that started with part of it's own prompt. What I've found is that you have to pause a second or two after Google says "OK, What's the message?".

Sean-

Thanks for the Android Auto info. I assumed that there was a software component that resided in the car and not that eveyrthing resided in the phone. My error.

My app version is currently 3.3.582063 which would appear to be newer still than the one you referenced.

I'll try your suggestion to keep Google Hangouts from recording its prompt.

-Ted

TedMichon said:
I assumed that there was a software component that resided in the car and not that eveyrthing resided in the phone. My error.
OK, not an error, just a misunderstanding on my part. The software in the car is part of the "infotainment" system that runs the centre display. This software has been updated, and it has affected how AA displays on the screen. When I bought my Bolt last fall AA used to display with vertical black bars on the left and right sides. Since then there have been a couple of newer software versions issued - the current one for the 2017 Bolt is version "14.5.0 C", and it displays AA on the full width of the screen.

The latest infotainment update was installed automatically over the air without having to bring the car into the dealer. However that over the air ability relied on previous update "14.4.2" which had to be installed at the dealer or from a USB stick. You can find more info here: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/10-technical-discussion/23369-how-update-your-chevy-bolt-firmware-via-usb.html

Text messaging is a mess in the Bolt with Android Auto (IMHO). it's not just you.

The problems are widespread, across many phones and not limited to the Bolt or Chevy. They go back at least a year too.

The only other tip I can offer is while google assistant is prompting you turn down the volume a bit, having it/her quieter seems to help a little with the what's the message error.

Back