Strange noise after hitting curb

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsGeorge

I pulled into a parking lot at a bad angle and hit the front driver side wheel right at the transition from full curb to sloping down. Right at the seam. Popped front tire with a tear about an 1" square in the sidewall, damaged the front rim, and put a pinhole in the right rear tire. Front steering out of alignment. All fixed with new tires and realignment by a local tire shop. About $500 total

The problem new is that there is a "revving" noise (for lack of a better description). I can feel a bit roughness in the pedal as I do one foot driving as well. It kicks in about 45 mph or so, and gets worse as you approach 65 mph. I have stopped driving it at high speed for now, my wife is using it for around town as I commute.

Took it back to the tire shop, and had them check front wheel for balance. The said it was fine. They swapped front and rear tire just to see if it made a difference. It's a bit better, but still there. Someone at the shpe mentioned it may be a damaged wheel bearing

The sound kind of reminds me of being in an ICE car and needing to change gears. Any ideas? I will be making an appointment at my local Chevy dealer, but thought I would see if anyone here and an opinion.
So sad that my perfect car is not so perfect anymore.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Considering the impact force on the wheel, it is more than likely the bearing may have been damaged.
Fortunately for you, if it's the case, it's an simple repair that should bring your car back to its original state.

Update:
Tire place did a double check for damage to visible parts, rotated front to back to try to isolate if it was the tire or something else. Did a realignment, and rebalanced damaged rim. Problem is still there. :cry: I asked if he thought it my be the wheel bearing and he said no. It was too new to be a problem :? . I said it hit that curb pretty hard. He said he still didn't think that was it. I have an appointment with my local Chevrolet dealer on Tuesday to look at it.

I'll give another update when I hear from Chevrolet dealer after Tuesday.

Final update (I hope). Took it to Chevy dealer. They say it is a damaged hub bearing. Parts and labor comes to $450 after knocking off 10% because of my shock at the price. Total cost of incident is almost $1000 between bearing, tires, and alignment. I got my PGE rebate today. Just in time I guess

ItsGeorge said:
Final update (I hope). Took it to Chevy dealer. They say it is a damaged hub bearing. Parts and labor comes to $450 after knocking off 10% because of my shock at the price. Total cost of incident is almost $1000 between bearing, tires, and alignment. I got my PGE rebate today. Just in time I guess

Seems your tire place was indeed wrong as I suspected.

At least now, it should be fixed and your Bolt will be back as a new one.

Back