Questions about Regen?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiaoyu80305

I have 2017 Bolt. My questions are about the Regen sign (looked like a battery with a arrow) on the Power Indicator Gauge.

1. The Regen sign becomes yellow, after the car was fully charged. The one paddle drive no long working until some distance was driven. When the Regen sign color changed to green, the one paddle drive started to work. I understood that the Regen could not charge the battery, due to the battery was full.
2. Can I set the fully charge to some percentage other than 100%, so I can use the Regen in the beginning of my trip?

Xiaoyu,

Hi,

I read manual again, and found out to set " Hill Top Reserve" to either "Home Only" or "ON", which should resolve my problem. I am trying now.

Xiaoyu,

xiaoyu80305 said:
I read manual again, and found out to set " Hill Top Reserve" to either "Home Only" or "ON", which should resolve my problem. I am trying now.
Yes, that's exactly what "Hill Top Reserve" is for.

Some people prefer to use Hill Top Reserve on a regular basis because it's a little easier on the battery to avoid fully charging it all the time, so it should (at least in theory) help to prolong it's life. Nobody knows how much difference this will make, but if you don't usually need to have the maximum range then it doesn't hurt to play it safe.

xiaoyu80305 said:
Hi,

Xiaoyu,
Starting in 2019, there is a new option in the Energy options that allows the user to select a maximum charge level.
The value can be set between about 40% up to 100%.

GetOffYourGas said:
It should be so easy for GM to push this to all Bolts as an OTA update. I'm not holding my breath.

True. I don't think there are any hardware changes.

This is something GM needs to enhance.
They should really increase both the release schedule and the content of the car software.

BTW, does anyone know where we can submit bugs/quirks reports for the car software?
I did search on the GM site and couldn't find anything relevant.

I tested. In Hill Top Reserve setting, the charge will be up to 90% every time, which showed two bars down from 20 bars total. I am very happy for the results

Back