Questions about Tire Sealant and Comoressor Kit

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiaoyu80305

I have 2017 Bolt, and the tire emergency repair kit was not included. I can purchase from GM, which costs $150. I can also purchase from Wal-Mart for $30 to $50.
1. GM kit: The compressor connects to sealant canister, then goes to the tire. I am assuming that this will be only one step job, which the compressor will push the sealant into the tire. The air inlet of the tire will not be required to be on the lowest position.
2. Wal-Mart kit: The sealant has to be manually pushed into the tire. The tire has to be rotated, if the air inlet of the tire is not on the lowest position. Also the air inlet valve has to be removed before the sealant to be flowed into the tire.
3. Does anyone put sealant into each tire to make it self-sealing tire?
What is your recommendation? Thanks,

xiaoyu80305 said:
I have 2017 Bolt, and the tire emergency repair kit was not included. I can purchase from GM, which costs $150. I can also purchase from Wal-Mart for $30 to $50.
1. GM kit: The compressor connects to sealant canister, then goes to the tire. I am assuming that this will be only one step job, which the compressor will push the sealant into the tire. The air inlet of the tire will not be required to be on the lowest position.
2. Wal-Mart kit: The sealant has to be manually pushed into the tire. The tire has to be rotated, if the air inlet of the tire is not on the lowest position. Also the air inlet valve has to be removed before the sealant to be flowed into the tire.
3. Does anyone put sealant into each tire to make it self-sealing tire?
What is your recommendation? Thanks,
The tires provided with the Bolt, the Michelin, are already self-sealing tires. The canister is provided for larger punctures that the self-sealing tire is not able to cope with.
Also, with the GM sealant canister, once you injected it into the tire, you have to use the car for few kilometers in order to have the sealant spread properly into the tire.

I don't think you can put sealant into a tire to make it a self sealing tire. A sharp object, like a nail, would pierce the dried sealant and the tire would leak. IMO
I wouldn't put sealant in a tire anyway. It tends to coat the wheel and make it difficult to balance. Also it's hard to remove once it's dried.
I use a tire plug kit and a 12V air compressor (Walmart). I've had to use it a few times over the years and never had a problem.

I use a tire plug kit and a 12V air compressor (Walmart). I've had to use it a few times over the years and never had a problem.
I haven't used the tire plug kit for long time, but it could be a good idea. What is the best tire plug kit? Did you buy from Walmart, or somewhere else?

The tires on the Bolt are Michelin Energy Saver A/S, which are selfseal tires. I called Michelin asking about selfseal tires for my wife's Prius. The answer is these type of tires made only for the size of Volt and Bolt, not for other sized tires.

The compressor and tire sealant kit only came standard on Canadian Bolts. So, yes, assuming you're in the US, only having the tow eye bolt under the false floor sounds right.

xiaoyu80305 said:
I haven't used the tire plug kit for long time, but it could be a good idea. What is the best tire plug kit? Did you buy from Walmart, or somewhere else?
I don't remember where I bought the plug kit, but it was probably at an auto parts store (AutoZone or the equivalent). It really doesn't matter, though. They're all the same.
I haven't had any experience with self seal tires after a puncture. Until I do, I would carry a tire plug kit for backup.

I had the tire sealant kit and compressor in my 2014 Volt. I had to use the kit 4 times as the Volt seemed to attract nails in the rear tires. After the initial use, I filled the cannister with Green Slime, and continued using the setup. I did find removing the valve core, made injecting the green slime a much easier and faster option. When I traded in my Volt, I removed the kit and placed it in my Bolt just in case the self sealing tires don't work

Back