Battery usage while idling

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I’m getting a Bolt for work. Couple of questions. Can you charge it while it is running. I work a lot in my car and if i want to charge while sitting and have ac on? Also how much battery does it use if i sit idling with ac on(not driving) and not able to charge

Smc32161 said:
I’m getting a Bolt for work. Couple of questions. Can you charge it while it is running. I work a lot in my car and if i want to charge while sitting and have ac on? Also how much battery does it use if i sit idling with ac on(not driving) and not able to charge
You can run the HVAC while charging. A/C draws between 1-3kW. Actual draw will depend on the temp you set, recirculate on/off, outside temp, shading, window tint, humidity, and exterior color. DIC will show charge/drain of the battery.

Technically, the Bolt doesn't "idle". The electric motor is not spinning when you're sitting still. This is different than a typical ICE which needs to continue to run at a slow speed to stay "on". That's a good part of the reason why you use so little electricity when sitting still in the car.

It's a great benefit to be able to leave the AC on, lock the Bolt and run a quick errand without the car making a sound and it still be cool upon return.

This summer, I did just this. As I was walking away, a big Mercedes sedan pulled in, the engine cooling fan making a roar. A woman got out, told the man driver, "You stay with the car and keep it running to stay cool while I go into the store." Yet another reason ICEs are obsolete for urban use.

jack vines

PackardV8 said:
...a big Mercedes sedan pulled in, the engine cooling fan making a roar. A woman got out, told the man driver, "You stay with the car and keep it running to stay cool while I go into the store."
Here in Vancouver there's an anti-idling city ordinance - vehicles are not allowed to idle for more than 5 minutes. It doesn't stop me, because (a) I know that the intent of the law is to curb pollution and gas wastage, which doesn't apply to the Bolt; and (b) nobody can tell that I'm "idling" anyway (I usually turn the Infotainment screen off when I do this). And since all our electricity generation is hydro-electric, there really is no extra pollution generated by doing this.

PackardV8 said:
It's a great benefit to be able to leave the AC on, lock the Bolt and run a quick errand without the car making a sound and it still be cool upon return.

I do this with heat, too. I did this just the other day. It's really nice to come back to a car that's still nice and warm when it's below freezing out.

Back