Battery Charge Capacity

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsg

Hi there,

For over a year I've been charging the 2017 Bolt in the garage using a level 2 240v charger. After a full charge, the mileage shows (approximately) max = 285 miles, average = 250 miles.

The last two full charges using the same charger and settings, the max was only 245 and the average was 220 or less!

What happened? The charge settings are the same (12 amp, not 8).

Thanks,
Jerry

jsg said:
For over a year I've been charging the 2017 Bolt in the garage using a level 2 240v charger. After a full charge, the mileage shows (approximately) max = 285 miles, average = 250 miles.

The last two full charges using the same charger and settings, the max was only 245 and the average was 220 or less!

What happened?

The mileage estimate is a Guess-O-Meter, a phrase that long predates EVs, but applies to any range estimate on any EV or ICE.

The GOM uses past history to predict the future.

Things that can make the GOM drop include;

1. Driving faster. Faster speed limits, less traffic, different times of day?
  2. Different routes, with more hills
  3. Using more climate control, especially heat (it is winter)
  4. Colder weather (Winter)
  5. Rains, winds, snow, wet roads, snowy roads, slushy roads and more.

Do any of these apply?

I know you didn't change 12A to 8A, but it wouldn't have made a difference. I'm pretty sure those setting apply to the included 120V charger, not a L2 charger.

EVs put the estimate range front-and-center, but most modern ICEVs also have a range estimate as well. It's critical for an EV driver while driving the car to know real time range estimates, which vary according to factors listed by WetEV (and more!). This has led to constant questions about "what is wrong with my car" from EV newcomers. Most likely, nothing is wrong. The only thing that happened is the car has recalculated the range based on how you've driven recently, the weather, etc.

I can only imagine what people would think if gas cars showed miles remaining in big bold letter. Every tank would have a wildly different range. Of course, no gas car is ever sold based on its range. It's a different world.

WetEV said:
jsg said:

What happened?

The mileage estimate is a Guess-O-Meter, a phrase that long predates EVs, but applies to any range estimate on any EV or ICE.

The GOM uses past history to predict the future.

Things that can make the GOM drop include;

1. Driving faster. Faster speed limits, less traffic, different times of day?
  2. Different routes, with more hills
  3. Using more climate control, especially heat (it is winter)
  4. Colder weather (Winter)
  5. Rains, winds, snow, wet roads, snowy roads, slushy roads and more.

Do any of these apply?

Yes, colder weather, lots of rain, much more use of the heat and defroster. I expect those factors to affect range, but didn't think that on a fresh, full charge, the battery would "remember" those conditions and adjust range. Thanks for informing me...

Jerry

Here in Los Angeles, when we are in a "cold" spell, I notice my GOM drops to around 185 after a full L2 charge overnight in my garage.

However I am able to "correct" this problem with a drive to about 20-40 miles remaining and then recharging the vehicle again overnight.

Back